Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lets pick out battles a little better

jenjen
October 16th, 2004, 12:54 AM
I have been an active member of this site for quite some time now. I enjoy the storys that people share, the discussionss that everyone gets into, even the heated arguments about certain topics. I have listened to people whine about the fact that there animal is pregnant, I have listened to stories of abuse and I have read every thread concerning the pit bull topic... to ban or not to ban. And frankly all of it makes me very angry.

There are so many animals out there that need our help and a lot of them don't get it. What is bringing me to all of this is the fact that on my way home tonight (i live in calgary) I saw a very young cat running around dowtown frantic and terrifed. I tried to catch him, hoping that I could save him from being hit by a car but the little guy was so afraid that he wouldn't come to me. I left feeling hopeless at the fact that i couldn't do anything to save him.

Now, to get to my point........For all of you that have come on here saying that the pitbulls should be banned, you are all heartless. These are loving creatures just like the rest and deserve the chance to live and thrive. Should they be banned NO. Should people who let there cats run around outside in downtown be shot Yes

The pitbull ban is not a battle we need to fight. We should be making laws stating that every animal should be microshipped, there should be a fine when you disregard your animal like yesterdays trash. People should be looked at more closely when deciding to buy an animal. And it should be illegal to let your animals run free and when your animal is caught running around outside you should be put in jail.
I will never ever ever let my cats outside because I care about there safety.....Some people say, "but my cat wants to be outside, he should be outside to enjoy the fresh air". Well let me ask this ? would you want your cat to get hit by a car or get lost or get picked up by some sickos that use it as a science experiment.

I'm sorry to rant and rave but there are bigger things we need to worry about besides banning pitbulls. Does canada have the death penalty. No we don't. I'm sure for more moral reasons than any. So would it make us any better that we are willing to do it to an animal. I wish I could save the entire animal population, I wish I could put a lot of laws into affect concerning animals, but I sure wouldn't start with the pitbulls. If i lived in ontario I would vote NO a million times over, and if it ever comes to Alberta I will vote no.

I hope I got my point across

Akeeter
October 16th, 2004, 01:37 AM
pointed out. I think it goes beyond Pit bulls. Yes there are idiot owners of cats & dogs & some of them own Pits. But..BSL never stops at one breed. Germany, England, Holland, U.S.A., etc. New Brunswick is trying to ban 5 dog breeds right now. I'm sorry, but I help at my local H.S., & have 4 cats, 3 are rescues, & 2 dogs, 1 of which is a rescue. 3 of my friends have Pit Bulls/Staffys, all from rescues & cats from rescue & kids (their own -not from rescue :)

I don't like people who misrepresent or sensationalize the truth, esp. if they are elected & paid by me & everyone else in Ontario to listen sometimes, not stuff their fingers in their ears. Or spout a lot of rubbish like the "150 lb Pit Bull" that he talked about today. (PB's dont come in size XXXL) It's scapegoating, it's B.S. & I'm paying to him to do it!! Next year, i'll probably be paying him to ban my dog's breed.

He hasn't listened to a single thing that he Didn't want to hear & he hasn't spoken to anyone/group except the people who would parrot him. He's not going to kill the 1000's of Staffy & PB's in homes across Ontario. Gee thanks, Mr. B.!! :rolleyes: By doing that, you probably saved your own @$$ in the newspapers & your job! (People tend not to like reading stories about crying children, sobbing adults & dead family pets.) :eek:

sammiec
Edmonton is much further along than Ontario with their fight towards BSL. What they have imposed already is what we are trying to fight at this stage. The Ontario province wide BSL will more then likey follow a muzzle bylaw...which they would have to enforce first.

ALBERTA
Edmonton:

Edmonton has a Restricted Dog' by-law. 'Restricted dog' breeds include only those dogs that a veterinarian licensed to practice in the province of Alberta has determined to be primarily either Staffordshire Bull Terrier or American Staffordshire Terrier, but ONLY those that are ineligible for registration with the Canadian Kennel Club. 'Restricted dogs' must be muzzled when in public; enclosed or muzzled on private property; license fees and fines for these dogs are higher; and owners must have a minimum of $1,000,000 liability insurance covering their dogs.

Brooks:

Perfectly law-abiding owners will find their innocent dogs are 'Restricted' if they're one of the following breeds or mixes: American Pit Bull Terriers, Bull Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers (the list also includes inaccurate breed names)

'Restricted' means these dogs must be in a secured enclosure on the owner's property or muzzled and on a permitted leash. They must be muzzled and on a permitted leash when off the owner's property.

Breeds that fall under the category of 'Prohibited Dogs' includes: Mastiffs, Rottweilers, and Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Prohibited dogs are not permitted within the town's limits.

As for your comments Dinah :
I said that weeks ago and was met with opposition by some others on this board, which is strange. The squeakly wheel gets the grease. Bryant couldn't care less about emails - he doesn't even read them his staff probably just deletes them all without reading any of them

I had asked you what you have done to organize the protest that you're wanting to have and what you have done so far to fight the BSL. You said:

I have posted what I've done. In fact, I just 10 minutes ago emailed Bryant with yet another protestation.

But I thought that he couldn't care less about emails? By all means, if you think that people here have done nothing worthy of protesting this BSL, take the first step.

jenjen
October 16th, 2004, 03:16 AM
Nobody has the right or the authority to tell you who you can and cannot love and care for. If I owned any of these animals that were going to be banned I would run for the trees.
It will not stop at pitbulls and you are right they will try and ban other breeds and it is a bunch of BS. There is a pitbull that lives below me and he is the sweetest dog on the face of the planet. A friend of mine has a rottie and he is nothing but a giant baby.

People become rapist and murderers because of the way they are brought up.
There is nothing wrong with these breeds of dogs, its the people who raise them.
Once again the human race is to blame

LavenderRott
October 16th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Well, from what I read last night, Canadians do NOT have property rights. This means that the Canadian government CAN tell you what to do with your property. Sorry folks, dogs are property.

Property Rights

Section 1(a) of the 1960 Canadian Bill of Rights (S.C. 1960, c. 44,
reprinted in R.S.C. 1985, App. III) provides federal statutory
recognition of "the right of the individual to ... enjoyment of
property", and the right "not to be deprived thereof except by due
process of law." The right to property is also included under the
fifth and fourteenth Amendments of the American Bill of Rights.
However, the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms does not
provide constitutional protection for individual `property rights'.
At the meetings of the Special Joint Committee on the Constitution
and during Parliamentary debate on Bill C-60, Progressive
Conservative MPs proposed that a right to "the enjoyment of
property" be included under section 7 of the Charter. This amendment
was rejected largely due to provincial government concerns, shared
by federal New Democratic Party MPs, that entrenching property
rights in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms could interfere with
environmental, zoning and other land use regulation; public
ownership, expropriation and regulation of resource-based and other
industries; and with legislative restrictions on foreign ownership
of land. In the 1989 decision of Irwin Toy v. Quebec (A.G.) ([1989]
1 S.C.R. 927), the Supreme Court of Canada referred to the
intentional exclusion of property rights from the Charter as a basis
for finding that economic rights of a "corporate-commercial" nature
are not protected under section 7.

While some may feel that this is a something that we need not concern ourselves with, I disagree. I don't even live in Canada, yet I spend my free time writing letters and making phone calls so that you can keep your dogs. And you better believe that once pit bulls are banned, other breeds will follow. Mr. Bryant has stated that he thinks all large dogs are dangerous. What makes you think that by the end of the decade there will be any large dogs allowed in the province?

jenjen
October 16th, 2004, 06:02 PM
That is so obsurd. Since when are living creatures considered property. Who ever made up these laws obviously never thought of what it could do years later.
I myself think that my pets are more than just pets they are members of my family and I'm sure all of you feel the same way. The only reason an animal should be taken from its owners are when the animal is being abused or neglected.
Being a canadian i tend to believe that i do have rights and that I should be able to live my life the way I want as long as it doesn't interfere with anybody elses. I'm starting to realize more and more that when it comes down to it the "LAW" has the final say. Sometimes I wish i grew up in the 1800's.

I myself do not have a pitbull or a rottie or a german shepard or any large breed of dog, but I would be very upset if the government of canada decided to take it upon themselves to deny us of these luxurys.
If i ever get the chance to vote I will vote in favour of all of you that are trying to save these dogs. I'm glad you all think its worth while.

melanie
October 16th, 2004, 06:34 PM
pitbulls were banned in my state of australia a long time ago, in fact it was over 6yrs ago, and at the time very few ppl know it was happening. you can still keep some pbs but only under strict requirements, but pbs were not a very popular town dog over here, they were used as hunting animals. but the law must be different in queensland as a young boy was near killed by a PB the other week after he ented the dogs yard without warning or asking the owner (stupid and disrespectful of the kid).

but realistically i dont feel to many negative effects of it in my life, but the i didnt have a little baby that was a PB and had to be taken away or muzzled, or suffer because of humans, somethinga dog does not understand,, that would kill me, even to watch someone else loose their dog like that would be horrific.

but we have very good legislation here in oz, and it is partly as a response to the BSL for PB at least something good came out of it.

the Companions Animal Act of NSW is a very good piece of legislation and it protects both owners and general public. it requires microchipping and registration, a child under 12yo is not allowed to be left unattended wiht a dog, and the list goes on of ways this legislation is effective. the best bit is the child bit, it means if i see a young child with a dog any dog poodle or GSD, i cna report the parents and they will be done, not the dog, and this also stops those incedents where the dogs get killed after attack, if the child was under 12yo and the parents were not in attendance then the parents are held responsible not the dog, and that is the way it should be.

and since we have BSL here, i am waiting for the day my breed is called a killer, i am expecting it esp with the trend for small dogs here, no one wnats big dogs around. it is too risky to go into BSL, it is unchartered territory and gosh knows what will happen if they bann one breed and will they move onto the next, where will it end?? but they banned PB here, and the amount of attacks so far, it really hasnt done much, onyl two weeks ago a woman in queenslad was killed and mauled to death by her own dogs, a mastiff and another large dog, but they wernt PB, so im waiting for the outcry for heads to roll soon and they will its the whole fear factor, and i hope my gals breed isnt the first sad

they shouldnt ban any dogs, its just stupid and illogical, but they should have strong laws and legislation to protect both the dog and others, that is the most effctive way i have seen so far, strong legislation. it works for us.

lilith_rizel
October 16th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Lately we have had the problem with little kids coming in our yard. The law here states that all children under 8 years, must have a gaurdian 16 years or older with them at all times, and all children under 10, must have a gaurdian 14 years or older. The children running in our yard, are no older than 3 or 4, and there are NEVER anybody with them, except a 9 year old, occasionally. They always want to play in our yard when the dog it out!! I am just really happy that Cano isn't aggressive. He loves kids, a bit too much. One day I heard a boy crying (2 years old), only to go out and find, Cano had frightened him by running around. Cano was unable to reach the area where the boy was at, so he was unable to knock him down. I think that the little tot, was just so frightened by his hyperness. Since then he hasn't came into our yard. I have thought about going next door and telling the mother that she really needs to grow up and watch her son when outside. He is only 2 years old after all!!

I don't know what it is with parents now days. I don't think that it is just that they are young, because my husband and I are only 20 and having our first child, and we think that doing that would be totally irresponsible.

I am sorry for my rambling, it is just that Mels post made me think of what our neighborhood is like.

melanie
October 16th, 2004, 06:56 PM
i am very aware of bad dog owners out there, yes there are few, but i doubt half of the attacks would happen if there were some more responsible parents out there, if their kids werent wandering or playing unattended with a dog it may never have happened. and it aint hard to teach them, my 2yo neice knows that you have to be gentle and kind to my dog as aunty has taught her that doggies talk a different language, and that they might not understand us. kids are smarter than most ppl give them credit for if they are taught right.

hey lilith congratulaions, how exciting, jsut before your due can you let us all know, some of us get a little excited by these things you see, wohoo a pets ca baby at last, i have waited through so many marriages here, its like a soap opera, but at last a baby, yippee skippee. party party party

lilith_rizel
October 16th, 2004, 07:00 PM
The baby is due Christmas day!! What a present!! It is supposed to be a little girl. If it is, we are going to name her Judith.

melanie
October 16th, 2004, 07:03 PM
right well its in my callender, how exciting, we could have a mascot out of this you know :D :D party yay a pets ca baby :D :love:

Akeeter
October 16th, 2004, 11:12 PM
party party
As soon as this little one is older tell him/her not to put up with folks who want to just give 1 present, "Cuz your B.D. is so close to Xmas" , or worse yet, not want to celebrate it as a birthday for the same reason. Both my hubby & I have Xmas BD's. (5 days before & 5 after, respectively.)

I just buy hubby's BD cars a month ahead. During the holidays, it's often hard to even find a nice BD card.

Bugsy
October 16th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Congatulations Lilith Rizel :D can't wait to see photos of Lil Rizel :D