Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Serious Need Of All Attention

hendsbee
October 16th, 2004, 12:34 AM
I have had my cat Beamer since she was 6 months old and now she is a year. My first cat Porche I got right when she was born and have not had a single problem with her, she is a angel. Beamer however has many attention behavioural problems.
If your at home, she needs all the attention, your in the bathroom shes there with you, in the tub shes there sitting on the side if you dont let her in she will continue to meow for hours and scratch at the wood arouond the doors until you let her in whatever room your in. She will jump on the table and counters constantly and when you get up and start walking towards her she will jump down and run away, 5 minutes later, jumping back up there. I get so frustrated with her and dont know how to solve this problem......
In desprate need of help
sincerely
Hendsbee

Copper'sMom
October 16th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Did this just start?
Is it possible she is in heat?
Do you still have your other cat?
Can you distract her with toys?
Does she want food?

I don't know for sure what to tell you. Cats are usually very independant and don't demand attention as much as what you are saying. If that's all she wants is attention, well ???? I don't know, sorry.

Is it really that bad if the cat follows you everywhere? I wouldn't allow her to jump on counters etc. Unless she is attacking you I wouldn't worry so much. I have a cat that wails and howls when he wants something. Usually it is for canned food or to go outside. He is very persistant in the matter and it does get annoying at times(like when watching tv and you can't hear it!!) but at the same time I think it is funny. The cat has personality.

Good Luck!!

Lucky Rescue
October 16th, 2004, 10:29 AM
You were answered here. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=8312)

A cat wanting alot of attention is not a behavorial problem. My last cat did this until I lost him at age 20.

glasslass
October 16th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Puss-Puss follows me from room to room too. When she wants attention, she inserts herself between myself and what I am doing. As I type, she's presently walking back and forth in front of my monitor :rolleyes:

chico2
October 16th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Two of my three cats do exactly the same thing and I think it's endearing,whatever room I am in,they are too,all three :love:
When I am on the PC they take turn laying on my lap,when I have a bath,usually two of them lay down on the bath-mat...
Cats being independant is IMO a myth,it all depends how much affection you give them,mine are certainly not independant :D
I am hoping you are not thinking of drastic measures because your cat is affectionate sad
As for the cat jumping on counters,tables etc..most cats do and they do it because they can,unlike most dogs.I personally have no problem with that,unless I am cooking or we are eating..
So,instead of looking at it as a behaviour problem,which it is not,just love her.

cutiecherise
October 16th, 2004, 05:37 PM
My Obese tortie Skulley was wash-closet obsessed, and would follow you in and demand your adoration while you were making bowel movements.

The only thing you can do is love them until they die.
Jumping on counters while you're preparing food isn't good though,
Tragic will do this sometimes, but i just push her off.

I guess some people would recommend the squirty bottle of water?
but JUST for the counter, or kitchen table! (for health issues of course)
Her following you is just wanting love.

lilith_rizel
October 16th, 2004, 06:21 PM
My sister had problems with her 2 kitties jumping on tables, and shelves. They would always end up knocking stuff like plants, and nick-nacks over. What she did, she lined the edges of counters and shelves with masking tape, for it was sticky where they would jump. They hated things being stuck to their feet. They eventually learned to stay off coutertops and shelves, and my sister was able to remove the masking tape. It might work for you kitty as well.