Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Housebreaking issue

Catt
October 15th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Hi, we have a 6mth old heeler border collie cross and we've run into a bit of a snag with housebreaking, he refuses to poop in the rain. Since we live on the coast and it rains all winter this is going to become a problem :(

To illustrate just how desperately he will avoid going to the bathroom in the rain last night we took him out to go to the bathroom, we were out for about 15 minutes(more than enough time when he has to go) and then brought him back in. Almost immediately he crept off to his crate and went to the bathroom in it... in his crate! I couldn't believe it, earlier in the day he'd had an accident in the house and I'd yelled at him when I caught him doing it I guess he figured if he did it in his bed he couldn't get in trouble for it :rolleyes: Which of course he didn't because I felt so sorry for him, feeling that stressed out about going outside in the rain that he'd rather do it in his bed.

Then this morning I found yet another little present when I got up, my husband must have let him out before he went to work this morning and not put him directly back in his crate since I know it wasn't there last night. I really don't want to have to keep him in his crate until he has to go so bad he'll go outside but I can't figure out what else to do. If anyone has experienced a similar problem or has any ideas I'd appreciate the advice. Thank you.

Cat

Jackie467
October 15th, 2004, 02:23 PM
I had this problem with my Italian greyhound. she refused to do any restroom outside in the rain or the cold. she then would go in her crate and in the house where ever i couldn't see her. I'm not sure if this will work for you but i got myself an unbrella and a raincoat and went outside with her on a leash and we stood in the yard in the rain for about 30 min (may take your dog less or more) and when she finaly went i just praised her and we ran back inside. the next time it only took her about 5 mins to go and then after that she caught on that the faster she went the faster she got inside out of the rain. now all i do is open the door she runs out does her business and comes right back in. of course don't stay outside too long or your puppy might get sick and make sure you dry him/her off very well when you get back inside to prevent a chill. I wish you luck, and don't worry it will pass with time if you just work on it.