Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Summer down under, hot and dry no doubt.

Goldfields
December 7th, 2012, 10:57 PM
36C here today with very strong wind, there mightn't be much garden left by the time our cool change arrives. :shrug:

Here are two daylilies, plus the Tiger Lily 'Jessica'.

Goldfields
December 7th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Just bits and pieces. This rose is Altissimo, but the other came to me without a name , it sure is a beauty. Given to me by a guy who was getting rid of his roses.

Goldfields
December 7th, 2012, 11:32 PM
The first (dwarf?) sunflower for the season. :)
Kardinal, bought it to replace a Kardinal bush rose killed by the rootstock, Dr Huey.
Roseromantic.

angeldogs
December 8th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Those are beautiful flowers. i could also go for the 36C temp right now.

Goldfields
December 8th, 2012, 08:55 AM
I just checked and it actually got to 39C here today. My tomato plants wilted by lunchtime so I did a bit of watering then, I haven't had a chance to check everything though. Pleased you like my flowers, angeldogs. :)

angeldogs
December 8th, 2012, 10:21 AM
39C i can take that also.dont like it over 18-20 when working i sweat to bad.
Must be a dry heat for them to wilt that fast. we get a lot of humidity with the heat which makes it feel even hotter

hazelrunpack
December 8th, 2012, 11:13 AM
You could work here, angeldogs--we're supposed to have a high of about 1 C today! :p

I love the shot of the lilies near the bird bath, GF! And the sunflower! Bright colors! Oooooooo....what a sight for color-starved eyes!

angeldogs
December 8th, 2012, 04:24 PM
about the same as here in temp hazel with rain.i produce alot of body heat and the hotter temps just do me in.

Goldfields
December 8th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I hear you on the humidity, angeldogs. We had 42C one day with dry heat and I found it not that bad, but the next day it was 35C and humid and everyone was complaining. Yesterday's 39C was dry heat again, so yes, my poor tomatoes just flopped. Crazy weather though, I'm sitting here right now thinking I should get back out in the sun to warm up, it dropped down to 7C this morning.
All that lily and bird bath shot needed was a bird, Hazel. :)

Dog Dancer
December 8th, 2012, 08:05 PM
GF, what gorgeous flowers. You can keep that kind of heat though, too much for me.

angeldogs
December 8th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Does sound like you having crazy weather.

Goldfields
December 14th, 2012, 07:24 PM
The first roses here are Duet. I had this once as a bush rose on its own roots, grown from a cutting in other words, and it flowered like crazy the first time, then died. I was so disappointed. :( Hopefully this grafted bush will do better.
Next rose is Firefighter, a real beauty. Long lasting, long stemmed, stands up to the weather well. :thumbs up
Golden Wings.

Goldfields
December 14th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Just opened this morning these lovely cacti flowers.
Ditto the daylilies.
A good photo to show how the two tone pink petals of Duet give it its name.

Goldfields
December 14th, 2012, 07:51 PM
New this week, 'Remember Me', which will be a nice one for my Angel garden/dog cemetry.
Queen Adelaide, with a perfume to die for.
Angel Face, and a friend.

Goldfields
December 14th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Not the best photo of Our Vanilla but it typifies the description in a catalogue here .... the colour is a vanilla champagne, with the outer base petals sometimes having a green hue.
Mrs Oakley Fisher.
The beautiful Ebb Tide.

Goldfields
December 14th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Granada, an extremely difficult colour combination for my camera to capture, a spectacular rose.
Something different, Canterbury Bells.
Finally, a firm favorite, Zepherine Drouhin

Goldfields
December 14th, 2012, 08:21 PM
After giving me at least a dozen plain dark red roses, finally Abracadabra has decided to have a correct striped bloom.
A rose I mentioned earlier as Roseromatic was in fact Sally Holmes, seen here again. I recalled that Roseromatic has pinkish stamens.
Tipsy Imperial Concubine. I do wonder if the Tipsy part refers to the fact that the heavy blooms give it a tipsy look, like a drunk that can't stand up straight. :D A little weather damaged, but then all the roses are, it's just that it shows up more on some colours.

Goldfields
December 14th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Mme Louis Laperriere
Mme Alfred Carriere
Kathleen Harrop

Goldfields
December 14th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Last lot, and I hope this summer sunshine and colour helps lift some spirits.
Go For Gold
Sutters Gold
Sir Donald Bradman

hazelrunpack
December 14th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Absolutely beautiful, GF! :cloud9:

Goldfields
December 14th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks, Hazel, though it's got to be the worst start to Summer ever, flower wise. Of course that probably stems from my having that op. and not getting annuals planted etc.. Never mind, there is always next year.

pattymac
December 15th, 2012, 01:10 AM
beautiful roses there GF!! Especially that striped one! The lilies are very pretty as well. Do your winters get very cold or stay decently warm? We get pretty darned cold here and tea roses need alot of protection from the cold and wind here. The shrub roses do alot better.

angeldogs
December 15th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Beautiful flowers.I like all the colors.im not a plain red rose fan i really like the roses that a 2 toned or other colors.

Goldfields
December 15th, 2012, 06:53 PM
You'd call our winters warm, Patty, we don't get snow. Nearest snow is 30 miles or so from us , on Mt William in the Grampians Mtn range. Minus 5 degrees is a very cold morning for us (stop laughing). During our 13 years of drought our Winters were all blue skies and sunshine. I don't have a lot of tea roses, Rosette Delizy, Peace, Tipsy Imperial Concubine, White Maman Cochet etc.., hybrid teas seems easier.
I like most roses myself, angeldogs. If I don't like them it's because they are weak, or the flowers ball, or they don't last long etc..

angeldogs
December 15th, 2012, 07:27 PM
I would like to have a garden to have the flowers but jag would eat them or walk on them. but i dont have the green thumb. i would want ones that would be long lasting.

patchdog
December 26th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Those flowers are just gorgeous. Makes me wish of spring. Here it is so cold and crappy out, I just want warm weather.

Goldfields
December 27th, 2012, 12:39 AM
Well, Patchdog, I reckon you and some others need cheering up with some more colour. :)
Here is a Rudbeckia, plus a couple of Daylilies.

Goldfields
December 27th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Ice Lady Sunflower. A couple of Tigridias.

Goldfields
December 27th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Julia's Rose.
The lilies were grown just from pieces that fell off the bulbs(like a clove of garlic type piece), and the pink rose is Queen Adelaide.

Goldfields
December 27th, 2012, 01:02 AM
'Red Velvet' Tiger Lily.
More daylilies.
Sir Donald Bradman .... and to think I didn't really like this rose when it first flowered. LOL.

Goldfields
December 27th, 2012, 01:13 AM
Tantau's Bernstein Rose
Tipsy Imperial Concubine, hard to grow, but worth it if you succeed.
Cosmos.

hazelrunpack
December 27th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Very pretty, GF. I love that rose that you didn't like at first, too! Gorgeous color! Is it scented?

Goldfields
December 27th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Strongly fragrant with blooms predominantly borne on single stems, Hazel
. I think it might have a better perfume than Firefighter, a similar red beauty.

Goldfields
December 28th, 2012, 07:26 PM
This flower was a very pleasant surprise for me this morning, the first Spider Lily I've grown. The pot it is in was behind a garden chair so I hadn't noticed it getting ready to do its thing.
Spider Lily
Italian White sunflower.
Double Delite sunflower.

Dog Dancer
December 28th, 2012, 08:32 PM
GF, the spider lily is spectacular!

lindapalm
December 28th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I agree, the spider lily is really unique.

hazelrunpack
December 28th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Those are all three pretty spectacular in my book!!

Goldfields
December 29th, 2012, 07:26 AM
I put the Spider Lily up there with Sprekelia, as you said, DD and Lindapalm, unique and spectacular. I'm glad I've tried some of the better bulbs, but then I'm in a garden forum where the other members inspire me with their knowledge and gardening expertise, and their love of the unusual. Glad there are not many Queenslanders because they really do have the most beautiful tropical plants that I could never grow down here in the south.
Here is an unusual little Geranium next. Just the occasional leaf on those funny stems and a different sort of flower.
A green and white Zinnia. Not a good year for these plants sad to say.
Finally, I think this sunflower is called Solar Flare, I need to check though tomorrow. Love all the sunflowers, Hazel. :)

hazelrunpack
December 29th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I'm a big fan of sunflowers, too! We have quite a few native varieties growing in the wild here. That geranium is really neat!!

Goldfields
December 29th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Yes, I like the geranium, only trouble is it breaks easily, at those joins you can see in the stem. All it means I guess is that you end up with a few smaller plants, I just shove the broken bits straight into the potting mix.

hazelrunpack
December 29th, 2012, 08:19 PM
So the broken bits root?

Goldfields
December 30th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Yes, any sort of geranium is easy to grow from broken bits.

hazelrunpack
December 30th, 2012, 02:27 PM
I never knew that! I'll have to try it. I've never had much luck propagating any plant by that method, though... :o

Goldfields
December 30th, 2012, 07:30 PM
I'm trying to get pelargoniums started right now from pieces a friend gave me and they are doing fairly well.

angeldogs
December 30th, 2012, 11:17 PM
Even though i dont have a green thumb and dont know squat about flowers only what i like about the look of them..i'm still really enjoying your pics.

Goldfields
December 31st, 2012, 08:55 AM
Well, there is another side of gardening in the summer down under, apart from pretty flowers. First another visit from this young fellow, I relocated him back to a garden bed that he'd left after I watered it. Later hubby tells me the cat, Ginger, has caught a young goanna. Apparently he presented himself at the gazebo to show off his prize, calling out to hubby to make sure he noticed. :D Then he took it off under the house. OK as long as he ate it, otherwise it'll really smell. Finally, the hat trick of 3, I asked hubby to get me a bird net out of the shed, to cover an apple tree, and this is what he found. A brown snake had got tangled in that black net and strangled itself. People actually lay pieces of that black net on the ground where they have seen snakes, once they get their head through it sadly they can't get out. I must find a box or trunk to store ours in, it's not a nice death for a snake.

hazelrunpack
December 31st, 2012, 09:20 AM
Love the lizard! Is that one of those blue-tongues?

That was a big brown snake! :eek: Aren't those venomous? So even if you'd found it in time, you wouldn't have been able to safely free it?

angeldogs
December 31st, 2012, 09:54 AM
That is a nice looking lizard.To bad about the snake.what could you do for it if you did find it in time.

Goldfields
December 31st, 2012, 06:12 PM
Don't know whether you could free them, Hazel, it'd be a pretty nasty snake by the time you did and they are one of the world's deadliest snakes. They are very fast too. Seeing they continue to hang around buildings if there is a food source, e.g. mice, you either need to get them relocated, or kill them. Sometimes they are found with their heads caught in soft drink cans, which they can't back out of , but those nets must also catch a lot. We had a live snake in a net, at ground level, when I had my dogs out in the same area for exercise one time. :eek::eek: Tammy spotted it just when I was going to take them back in and would not come away, I had to pick her up and carry her. :mad: Thankfully no dog got bitten. That's not a big Brown by the way, I saw a 7 footer a mile from here, and Ian has seen 2 big ones like that down at the hay shed. You just know you are going to die if something like that bites you.

angeldogs
January 1st, 2013, 01:03 AM
Is there a vaccine for a bite from one of them?.

Goldfields
January 1st, 2013, 01:34 AM
Yes, but have to get it in time. Knew of a lad who got bitten on the ankle while sitting milking a cow, he thought it was just a grass seed at first, anyway although it'd be 20 miles at the most to the clinic, the Dr came out to meet them partway. The boy was okay. I guess it all depends on how many bites and how much venom you get.

hazelrunpack
January 1st, 2013, 11:44 AM
Oy! :eek: Glad he survived!!

angeldogs
January 1st, 2013, 12:01 PM
Thats good that he lived.must be a real scary feeling

Goldfields
January 1st, 2013, 07:39 PM
Yes, and another friend got bitten on the finger when picking up a rock to give to a friend for her garden rockery. How unlucky can you be, to pick up one with a snake under it. Anyway, her symptoms sounded really dreadful and scary, so even though she survived, it's obviously not a trip you want to take. I'd hate to imagine how many horses and cows etc. get killed after stepping on them, or dogs after they try to kill them. My friend Di lost one of her cats, a Siamese, she found it and the dead snake lying side by side. They are the worlds second most dangerous snake, the Taipan up in Queensland is the top of the list. Oh, and that one dead in the bird netting measured 4 foot 8 inches by the way.

angeldogs
January 2nd, 2013, 05:58 PM
Nice size snake not to big for lenght. my old female ball python was 4ft.but also not the worlds 2nd most deadliest snake. but big enough to have a quick strike range.

Goldfields
February 11th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Something other than roses for a start. Liatris starting to flower, Johnny Jump Ups, and Kangaroo Paw.

Goldfields
February 11th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Beautiful sunflowers again. Hope I am not posting these for a second time.

Goldfields
February 11th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Smooth Sunglow.
Unknown rose, tag got lost. :(
Raspberry Tiger.

Barkingdog
February 11th, 2013, 08:20 PM
I loves Johnny jump up flowers . We might have fall down Barkingdog in my back yard if I am not careful.

Goldfields
February 11th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Smooth Swirl, which is not my favorite rose. It has very stiff petals, doesn't last long and I was disappointed with its colour. The next two, Queen Adelaide and Pope John Paul 2nd, have lovely fragrance and will always have a spot in my garden.

Goldfields
February 11th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Roses are Black Beauty and Lady Mary Fitzwilliam.

Goldfields
February 11th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Pineapple Lily.
Nepeta, Six Hills Giant.
Knifophia.(sp?)

Goldfields
February 11th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Don't know about this one, maybe an Oriental lily? It was grown off a piece that was loose with the bulbs, like as in a clove off garlic.
Kentucky Derby.
Zinnia.

Goldfields
February 11th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Abracadabra.
Salvias.
Rosette Delizy.

Goldfields
February 11th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Geranium
Ebb Tide
Lemon Agastache

lindapalm
February 12th, 2013, 08:09 PM
It must be nice to see some color other than white outside. I love the oriental lily, and Zinnias are one of my favorites because of the many colors they come in. Keep sending the pictures, we still have too many more weeks of winter.

Goldfields
February 23rd, 2013, 07:16 PM
Only a few days of Summer left, and I've never been so glad to see the end of a Summer. Hot and far too dry. Too many serious bushfires, there is one in the Grampians that has burnt 35,200 hectares so far and is still going. At the other end of the State one has burnt 84,953 hectares, still going.Lack of rain has meant the garden has really suffered, so fingers crossed for an improvement weather-wise from now on.
Some roses for you lindapalm. Admiral Rodney,Lady Mary Fitzwilliam and Blackberry Nip. :)

Goldfields
February 23rd, 2013, 07:26 PM
Lily
Recently bought Kniphofia and Plumbago.
I'm not into Cyclamins but this one caught my eye, a bit like a tropical fish I thought, like fins floating in the water.

Goldfields
February 23rd, 2013, 07:37 PM
Rudbeckia Toto, grown from seeds I collected.
Sally Holmes.
Pelargonium.

Goldfields
February 23rd, 2013, 07:55 PM
Next Spring, if the weather is kind to us, should be nice. I have just been given another 24 irises. Yay! Amongst them, these.
Mango Daiquiri.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/177817/

Fancy A Flutter(which I really like)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/299843/

Guardian Angel
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/103043/

Roses here are Our Vanilla, Kardinal and Smooth Sunglow.

lindapalm
February 24th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Looking at the condition and colors of your flowers, you would never know you had a dry summer. I don't think theres a flower that you don't have, you must be very, very busy with taking care of them.

pattymac
February 24th, 2013, 05:52 PM
those are amazing flowers!! Do you have any pics of your whole garden? What do you water with, do you recycle like your dishwater etc?

Goldfields
February 25th, 2013, 08:01 AM
My whole garden at the moment is appalling. It's hard to supervise a puppy and find time to water when both things must be done around the same time, early mornings or when it starts to cool down in the evenings. Because it is nearly semi arid here I usually aim for a nice Spring garden, seeing that's when we get our most rain.
2010 was a great year weather-wise so this first photo is taken out in the orchard(that place all the fruit trees went to die during our 13 year drought). :D
The opposite part of the orchard has become my angel garden, where all my dogs are buried now. I'm thinking that, if my health stays okay, I'd like to do another rose bed there and make it a while garden. White and green looks great.
Last photo here is a bed just inside our back gate, with my little growhouses in the background, where I grow seedlings.

Goldfields
February 25th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Part of the front yard.
This is the side between the two orchard areas and the house, where my main iris bed is. I now have roses all around the fences in here and more plants here and there.
This is the area at the back of the house, between it and the paddock our house dam is in. All areas, or garden rooms as they call them, are fenced off so that dogs can't go out of my sight around a corner of the house. That's so I can see if they are going after a nasty big Brown snake. Very hard to photograph because it's such a sprawling garden.

Goldfields
February 25th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Down at the other end of that last 'room' is the cockatoo's aviary. I put a small garden in front of it to pretty it up a bit.
This next garden area I refer to as the Iceberg bed, where I stuck some Standard Iceberg roses and the garden just evolves around them, different flowers each year.

More of that same bed.

I'll post more when I have time. It is very late and I must feed my dogs.

Jull
February 25th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Beautiful pics Goldfields! I want to live in your garden :D

hazelrunpack
February 25th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Very nice!! Love your pansies!! My fave flower...yes, even more than irises!! Shocking, eh? :o

pattymac
February 25th, 2013, 12:09 PM
that's a gorgeous garden!! If that's appalling it must be breathtaking when it's in good shape!! :) I may borrow some of your flower pics to practice drawing flowers!! My Mom would be drooling over it! Although she is deathly afraid of snakes, so knowing that you have venomous snakes, there's no way she'd be outside!!

Goldfields
February 25th, 2013, 09:07 PM
No, these were taken in 2010, in the Springtime. Summer is hopeless and this year is very bad. My sister got 28ml of rain overnight, we got just one! Interesting for me to look back at these. The Cut leaf lilac has grown so much, and the Grevillea next to it.