Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Take on the Pitbull Ban

Mysts38
October 15th, 2004, 12:42 PM
I personally dont care for pitbulls,but that doesnt mean I feel they should all be banned...I feel that any dog from any breed,that has a history of not getting along wit other people/animals should be muzzled when out in public...and that could mean a pitbull or a poodle for that matter

If the owner KNOWS this his/her animal could be a potential danger while out in public,,then it is his/her responsability to make sure the public is safe from their animals.

We SO NEED better legislation in Canada concerning animal issues..Canada needs to take a good look at how the US legislation is set up...The US considers animal welfare most times a felony case,with serious repurcutions...IN Canada,its considered a misdeamenor,with a small fine and a slap on the wrist..AND owners can again go out and purchase another animal

Ban owners of animals that are a danger,neglected or abused from EVER owning another animal..let them do jail time with heavy fines...

Our society accepts that its OK to kill/abuse or neglect an animal,yet we are furious when another human is treated in this manner...we need laws to govern accordingly...We need laws designed to protect our animals..

If we consider working dogs,such as seeing eye dogs,to be a productive member of society,then why are they still being treated as the lowest form?

If these attacks are ever going to stop,then banning is not the issue..decent legistlation is..and that includes going after bad breeders/puppy mills,needs to make the owner responsible,just as with kids under 16...if the kid does something wrong,the parent can and most times IS prosecuted...

I remember once when I asked my vet why he became a vet and he said "I like animals better than people,most times animals bite out of fear,humans bite because they can"

Copper'sMom
October 15th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Mysts38

Thanks for your concern and you are absolutely right!! It's nice to see you are an open minded person. Most people are uneducated and ignorant when it comes to pit bulls or any dog in general.

beddows
October 16th, 2004, 10:46 AM
The problem with pit bulls is that they attract the very type of person who should never be allowed to own a dog in the first place. First of all, I don't' know why anyone would choose to own a dog that has been bred for fighting. That aside, I would not tar every pit bull with the same brush, but I would think a responsible dog owner looking for a pet would pick a less contentious breed unless its for a specific use, such as guard duty. They need to make owners personally responsible for the actions of their dog. If you could be sued to provide support for the rest of your life to a child that has been maimed by your pit bull, then maybe you would reconsider owning a dog that is unpredictable, to say the least. If you want to own a pit bull, you have to be prepared to have it muzzled in public. Sometimes I think they should license the owner not the dog.

LavenderRott
October 16th, 2004, 11:00 AM
If you could be sued to provide support for the rest of your life to a child that has been maimed by your ...

Great idea, but should include all breeds of dogs. What about the woman who had her bottom lip eaten by her poodle while she was sleeping? What about the child who had his ear bitten off by the neighbor's dalmation? What about the young boy who had his face bitten by a Chesapeake Bay Retriever?

I have been bitten by a schnauzer and a rottweiler. My oldest daughter, bitten by a chow. My son, a chihuahua. Not one member of my immediate family is in favor of breed bans.

pitbulliest
October 16th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Mysts..you have made some excellent points and it is nice to see an open minded individual ....and the great thing is, you don't even have a pit bull terrier.

It would be wonderful if you could write a letter to the MPs here in Canada and let them know how you feel.

lol is that asking too much? Sorry, I've been stressed about this entire ban :(