Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crate training an old dog

SarahLynn123
October 15th, 2004, 09:59 AM
I recently adopted a 6 year old ****erspaniel cross terrier. She has been neglected and abused in the past. I would like to know how I go about crate training her, I dont want to scare her, but would like her to sleep in her crate at night. So far I put her in the crate when we eat supper and she does great, but once we leave her sight she cry's and barks. Shes a great dog, home while Im at work, and everythings always in order when I home so I dont think its necessary to crate her while im gone. Its basically for when I visit others, I dont want my dog to be sleeping on their couch.
Thanks

Goldenmom
October 15th, 2004, 10:18 AM
I wouldn't push a crate at this time. You should have a special "pillow" or blanket for your dog that is put beside where you sleep. WHen you visit people, your dog will know that this is his bed and should sleep there. I would not traumatize this dog in anyway right now.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

Lucky Rescue
October 15th, 2004, 10:22 AM
I'm wondering if instead of a crate, you could get her a nice soft dog bed for the floor and teach her to sleep there instead?

You could temporarily put something on your sofa when you are not home, to discourage her from getting up there.

If you really want to crate train her down the line, HERE (http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/cratetraining.htm) is a good article.

And thanks for adopting this poor baby!:)

pug lover
October 15th, 2004, 11:11 AM
sounds to me like you got a perfect dog. get a nice looking dog bed and use that as their area. nice and easy, no couch your bed keep it close for head and belly rubs. when you go visiting bring it with you no dog on their couch either

have fun with your new pooch :)

flyingdog
October 15th, 2004, 11:48 AM
I think crate training is a great idea for a dog any age.
You mentioned you would like to crate train your dog for visiting other people - this is agreat idea! Not only will it keep the dog off furniature it will give her a safe and comfortable place she knows to sleep in. She will be able to fall asleep better and be less nervous in a new place.

Introduce the crate slowly.
Put a nice bed, lots of treats in it and all her toys.
Keep the crate out and leave the door open so she can go in and out as she pleases
Feed her in it with the door open, then closed - always be present
Bring it into your bedroom at night and have her sleep in the crate beside your bed.
Soon it will become routine and she will seek out her crate for comfort and relaxation.
Since she is good in the house while you're gone there is no need to keep her in it when you're gone.
Hope this helps!

Tara