Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Recipe ideas

jackieb
October 15th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Thought i asked any of you for traditional foods and recipies in canada

Also we are currently trying to save hard for a house and have found food shopping expensive especially meat wonder if any of you have tips on good/cheap stores for meat were to get the best deals on food shopping.

any help would be appreciated

thanks jackie

onecatandonedog
October 16th, 2004, 07:30 PM
i always try to find "traditional canadian cooking", but it is somewhat difficult to find recipes that are only used in canada. quebec has many distinctly canadian recipes, try tourtiere (meat pie with good spices), split-pea soup quebec style, and sugar pie (a big butter tart with maple flavour.

If you live in a big city like Toronto you 100% need to go to the ethnic sections of the city for exciting food and for very affordable prices.

An excellent meat substitute which you should definitely try is falafel, it is easy to make too. you can buy a package of dry falafel powder (which is ground chick peas or beans with spices) and follow the directions on the box. serve them in a pita with diced onions, tomatoes, lettuce and hummus (which is a sauce you can buy at most grocery stores).

canned fish tastes good and can be very cheap. the tastiest canned fish i think is mackerel, sardines, and herring. and frozen fish is good and fairly affordable.

the best trick to find good prices for food is simply to spend a long time looking up and down the shelves for the best prices, and also check out different stores.

melanie
October 16th, 2004, 07:59 PM
hey do you have that split pea soup recepie? it is my favourite soup and i love new recepiew for it, any help apprecaited :D

CyberKitten
October 22nd, 2004, 06:44 PM
Have you tried the Lauara Secord cook book? It has recipes from various parts of Canada - Antigonish Brownies, Nanamo Bars, tortiere from Quebec, poutine, (though they do offer venison :( )

CanadianLiving.com also has some uniquely Canadian recipes.

onecatandonedog
October 24th, 2004, 10:34 AM
i forgot about poutine. possibly the greatest. remember to make it properly the fries have to be well fried, and there must be beef gravy and cheese curds and should be served with mayonaise instead of ketchup.

i like how canada has so many different cultures now that canadian food is a mix of awesome stuff from around the world.

Sneaky2006
October 24th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Heya Mel, I have a split pea recipe but it is made with ham, so I don't think you'd like that!? :p

Iggette
October 24th, 2004, 03:05 PM
A little late in responding, but better late than never :rolleyes:

Usually all the supermarkets put flyers in the local paper so we usually see who has what on sale.

Places like WALMART and ZELLERS have some food items canned goods, crisps, treats etc...our walmart carries dairy products and some frozens stuff as well. I usually get alot of my toilet paper, shampoo's soaps there as well unless they are on sale in the grocery store.

I'm not sure what you have in your area, but I love NO FRILLS they have alot of cheaper items as well as FOOD BASICS.

If you have a freezer it's great to stock up when things are exceptionally cheap

Also some stores offer an area for 'last day sale items' usually in the bakery,meat and produce sections....use your own discretion when it comes to these items, I have a freezer so I like to stalk up on breads they are always good for toasting, made into crutons or bread crumbs. Good deals can be found at any rate

Hope this helps :)

Iggette
October 24th, 2004, 03:08 PM
forgot to add.......

Chicken is my favorite cheap dinner you can also find alot of recipies on the net for low budget cooking ;)

melanie
October 24th, 2004, 04:52 PM
sneaky, we call that pea and ham soup, no i have an old recepie for just split pea soup, really good stuff. the best one i tatsed was at university at one of the free food days, an old man nade it but he refused to share the recepie, dont know why, not likei work for a soup company or anything :D

goldenblaze
October 24th, 2004, 04:58 PM
One of my favs is Alice Springs Chicken from the Outback SH

cook chicken breast in oven, when it is finished put cooked bacon and mushrooms over it. Add grated cheese and melt in over . Dip with honey mustard serve with fries, rice or patatoes your choice but great supper. My chicken is in the oven now bacon and mushrooms are cooked, honey mustard done and cheese grated. Boys are waiting for their chicken and rice. ;)

raingirl
October 24th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Jackie,

having grown up poor, I have learned where the best places to shop for cheap food is.

However, I don't know where you live!

If you live in southern ontario, this should apply.

While some things at Sobeys can be expensive, they have great sales. Check their flyer weekly. They often have 2 for 1 sales (2 packs of bacon, 2 boxes of cereal).

For non-perisable grocery items (like canned goods) hit zellers and walmart. They are also the best for toiletries like toothpaste shampoo etc. Or if you have a large family, Costco might be cheaper for items like that (but you won't get the same selection though).

For produce, I like No Frills. It's busy as heck on the weekends, so I strongly recommend going one evening early in the week, or in the day. They have the cheapest chicken breasts around. Also, if you have the time, they sell all their produce from the previous day early in the morning for half price, but only right at opening at 8 am, and I hear that stuff goes fast.

If you have a chest freezer with space to store stuff, you can get cheap meat also at M&M's meat shops (If you haven't been to one since moving here, they are a freezer store, where they have 100's of items behind the counter, and you just tell them what you want. They have these chicken breast grills on sale now for about $9 and you get like 15 pieces of lightly breaded chicken breasts). It's best to buy on sale there though, and they have flyers regularly. Right now you get a free apply pie if you spend over $30.

I also know of several asian markets around where you can get cheap canned fish and stuff like that. They have these canned philipino sardines for 59 cents!!

As for canadian recipes...Hmmmm I have to think about that one.

Iggette
October 25th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Gee raingirl ......we think alike don't ya think.....must have passed you in the isle or something :p