- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Dog being picky with food, some vomitting

November 3rd, 2012, 11:51 PM
Just to start, I am taking him to the vet on Monday or to an emerg vet if I get very concerned.

Dagan's symptoms started around two weeks ago, I was away when all of this started happening unfortunately, my roommate was taking care of him. I work at a daycare/boarding place so our 3 dogs were there for a few nights then the roommate picked the dogs up. He was getting sick, diarrhea and vomiting in the few days after, that passed then he stopped eating his dry food, so the roomie tried a few different things, she added wet food, added pumpkin puree, tried rice and even tried a cheap dry food. He would eat here and there but not regularly. We thought either he picked up something at the kennel or was depressed because I was upset when I left, was out of town for a funeral, if that's even possible for them to understand that. Anyways, I came back and he wouldn't eat the usual dry food he'd been on for the longest time so I went out the next day and bought some chicken raw food, which they'd been on in the past, he ate it for the first 3 days, didn't vomit or anything. Then he wouldn't eat the 4th night but ate in the morning and by that time I was out food so I decided to pick up beef instead since he was losing interest. He ate that straight away for the past 2 days until today! Today he won't touch it. I've tried a few different things to get something in his belly but he turns his nose up to everything, even apples, which is favourite. And now he's throwing up yellow bile.

Since I have been back I immediately noticed he lost weight, which is to be expected, and he hasn't had the same energy level. Usually him and the other 2 dogs are wrestling and running and carrying on but this last week it's been lacking and that's with him eating. I'm kind of lost for what to do other than taking him to the vet.

November 4th, 2012, 02:51 PM
If your dog is vomiting yellow bile he should to taken to the vet for a check up . He could had gotten into some toxic when you where away.

Loki Love
November 4th, 2012, 03:05 PM
And now he's throwing up yellow bile.

This is because his stomach is empty (which makes sense given he's not eating). I'd take your puppers to see the vet and have some bloodwork done to make sure there is nothing medical going on. It could just be a tummy virus, but best let the experts make that call.

Good luck!

November 5th, 2012, 07:32 AM
I agree with LL here - It sounds like it could be a stomach bug, but you want to rule out all possibilities. Please keep us updated and good luck!

Dog Dancer
November 5th, 2012, 10:22 AM
I agree that the yellow bile is likely from an empty belly. My dog used to do that when she was off her food. And yes, your dog can sense your anxiety and stress, so you going away upset could well upset him.

I agree that a trip to the vet to rule out any type of bug would be well worth the $$. If the vet rules all things medical out, then your dog will likely eat when things go back to normal for him. Don't pressure him, don't sit and stare at him to see if he's eating. That will just put more stress on him.

Good luck and keep us posted.

November 15th, 2012, 10:16 PM
I took Dagan to the vet on the Monday after I posted. We did some blood work and the vet initially thought he had inflammatory bowel disease or possibly an obstruction. He was prescribed some anti-inflammatory meds and some Pepcid AC along with a bland diet of rice and beef. That went well for the first few days then Dagan wasn't interested in eating again. I called the vet and was going to take him in again but he ended up eating by late evening and continued over the next few days. The blood work came back with not much news other than his white blood cell count was increased which the vet thought maybe he had a food allergy or a parasite. The vet wanted to do an ultrasound to be able to rule out an obstruction and at the same time try to diagnose the IBD by checking for intestinal thickening. I got those results back two days ago and they were also negative. Sooooo now the next thing the vet has suggested because of his initial symptoms is atypical Addisons Disease. I'll be setting up an appointment to do that test and will let everyone know. Currently Dagan's appetite hasn't returned even after the course of anti-inflammatory meds so I am inclined to believe the vets diagnosis. I'm also a little hesitant to keep doing all of these tests if the vet is possibly just making guesses, I don't want these next tests to turn up nothing and keep spending money on the next test to rule out something else it could be.

November 16th, 2012, 10:08 AM
We went through the same battery of tests when Evan was diagnosed with IBD, Aimster. The only difference was that they did the punch biopsy and the test for the Addisons on the same visit. So it sounds like your vet is following a logical progression to determine what the problem is. As in any diagnosis, until the final answer is found, the vets really are making their best guess, then following up to rule it in or out.

I do hope the next test gives you something useful to go on. :grouphug: I know how difficult it is to have seriously ill pet and not know what's wrong or how to treat it.