Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking to Adopt a Malamute!

enigma
October 14th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Hi guys! I'm looking for a male malamute to add to my fur family :) I have sifted through several rescue sites, but I am located in Fredericton, NB (eastern Canada) and many of them will only adopt locally. As for the ones that will allow me to ship him, I'm a little nervous, as I won't get to meet my new fur baby until he is literally on my doorstep. While I am prepared to give my all at training, a totally unruly malamute is a formidable opponent indeed, and I have other animals at home right now I need to consider! I have also frequented my local SPCA shelter for almost a year now....no sign of any Mals there...actualy (fortunately!!!) very few dogs at all!! So, if anyone knows of a private family looking for someone to adopt their Mal boy (as then I could be more confident about temperament) or even of a very young Mal pup (under, say...6-8 mths?) available for adoption I would love to hear more!

Thank you!!

~Steph

heeler's rock!
October 14th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Hi steph. I am just curious if you have ever owned a mal before. They are not the easiest dogs for unexperienced dog owners. Plus, if you get an older mal, male or female, they have VERY strong prey drives and will kill small animals, including cats and even small dogs. (I know because one killed my baby bunny). Mals are very stubborn and will destroy your yard to escape. I've known a mal that chewed his way through drywall to get out of the garage. Sure, they are gorgeous dogs but no malamute rescue or responsible breeder would give one to someone with no experience with mals, and a bunch of other animals. They also do not get along very well with dogs of the same sex as they are VERY dominant dogs, and that is how sled dogs operate. A pup at 6-8 mths will already be set in it's ways as mals are considered large breed dogs, so they mature a lot faster than a chihuahua. I would strongly advise you NOT to get a mal as their temperment would just not suit your situation well, based on the scenerio you've provided.

Please visit this link for the Alaskan Malamute Help Legue. They rescue only mals and place them all over Canada, but their adoption criteria is very strict.
http://www.malamuterescue.com/aboutmals.html

Could you please tell us why you want a mal so badly and what kind of research have you done on the breed.

heeler's rock!
October 21st, 2004, 09:59 AM
Enigma, you haven't come back to check on your thread. Did you end up getting a malamute?

sammiec
October 21st, 2004, 10:08 AM
heeler's, this person has come back after I had posted some links to shelters in their area about dogs. For some reason their post as well as the information that I had provided have been deleted...
for the last time before anything was removed (who knows why?) they had not found a dog yet and were going to inquire about some that I had shared.

:confused:

heeler's rock!
October 22nd, 2004, 10:34 AM
Oh, okay. Is this person still wanting to get a malamute specifically, or did you mention other breeds? I'd still like to know why he/she wants a mal and what kind of experience they have with this breed...... :)

sammiec
October 22nd, 2004, 10:35 AM
Heeler's there actually 2 other threads posted about the same information, none of mine was deleted... you might have to do a little search to find the stuff, but it's here somewhere! :o