Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

yorkie's

heidiho
October 14th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Ok one of our dealers has a yorkie here and everyone is saying that would be the perfect dog,smart easy to train...What do u think????I am really missing having a dog....Maybe even an older one ..

Lucky Rescue
October 14th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Yorkies may be small, but they don't know that! They are terriers through and through!

They are very active, and good watch dogs who will bark at any unfamiliar noise. They may also be aggressive to much larger dogs, and don't seem to realize how tiny they are! My neighbour has two of them, and it was a sight to see both of them (5lbs each) flying across their property to accost and harass my 80 lb dog! They were lucky that he was so tolerant.:p

These dogs, like other terriers, were bred to hunt and can be adventurous, independant and inquisitive.

Like many toy breeds, they may be harder to housetrain. They need regular grooming for their long coats.

Yorkies, like any dog, should get proper training in obedience and good manners.

They can be a good choice for someone with limited space, or is unable to provide a lot of exercise for a dog!:) And of course, they are super CUTE!!

heidiho
October 14th, 2004, 05:08 PM
This puppy is the cutest,wow,they also said if i wanted i could litter box train it,not that i am that lazy,also said the same thing you did would be a good little barking guard dog......I will be seriously considering this one...It would be ideal for my apt....Wow what a personality this one has,i am in love.......

Lucky Rescue
October 14th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Yes you can litter train very small dogs - a female would be best for this as females tend to squat to pee.

Terriers, in general, do not star in obedience due the fact that most of them were bred to work independantly, but I still highly recommend obedience classes for them.:)

heidiho
October 14th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Yeah i dont think i would get a male....Thanks for the advice,someone else just told me they bark constantly,so many opinions.........They said **** zu