Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats purring abnormal??

SarahLynn123
October 14th, 2004, 03:14 PM
I have a male cat about 2 years old and recently got a new older dog. The cat sleeps in my bed at night and the dog downstairs. Since the dog has been here, the cats purring at night is so loud and rediculous it doesnt stop until the morning when i get up and leave for work.I cannot sleep. I tried locking him out of my room but he throws himself against the door cries and scratches for hours. I would like to know if this is normal, or if I can stop him from being so loud some how. What are my options.

Thanks
Sarah

sammiec
October 14th, 2004, 03:17 PM
LOL at you!!! My cat sleeps on my pillow every night and purrs in my ear!! I toss him off the bed a couple times and he gets the hint. It's frustrating, but they are just content and comfortable with you.
You're options, ear plugs!! LOL!!

Welcome to the board!!! :D

added: I reread part of your post. And....when I got my dog I noticed that my cat's affection towards me increased. He sleeps with us more, he sits on our laps more... maybe it's a bit of a security issue? Do you still pay as much attention to the cat?

TalonsMa
October 14th, 2004, 04:06 PM
added: I reread part of your post. And....when I got my dog I noticed that my cat's affection towards me increased. He sleeps with us more, he sits on our laps more... maybe it's a bit of a security issue? Do you still pay as much attention to the cat?

Same goes here, we have two kitty's, a male and female. The female could care less, but the male has been extremely lovey dovey, and we've had the pup for 2 months!! LOL Just make sure you give your kitty's extra lovin. I think he's just looking for reassurance.

chico2
October 14th, 2004, 04:49 PM
My Rocky SNORES as loud as my husband,I'd take purring any day :D

SarahLynn123
October 14th, 2004, 05:37 PM
this is just new though, he used to just sleep quietly at the bottom of the bed for the night. Now hes licking me and purring and trying to walk on my head. Its driving me nuts.

glasslass
October 15th, 2004, 07:38 AM
When he's cuddled up close to you in bed, he's probably feeling reassured, hence the purring. Once things have become routine with the dog and your cat doesn't feel his place in your heart is threatened, he'll probably go back to his normal habits. Earplugs are probably a good idea. ;)

TalonsMa
October 15th, 2004, 05:30 PM
When he's cuddled up close to you in bed, he's probably feeling reassured, hence the purring. Once things have become routine with the dog and your cat doesn't feel his place in your heart is threatened, he'll probably go back to his normal habits. Earplugs are probably a good idea. ;)

I agree 100% with you :) He just wants to make surehis mama still loves him :D