Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Danger of Back Yard Breeders-Happy Ending

Mysts38
October 14th, 2004, 02:11 PM
In talking with my vet,we began to talk about breeders and the topic got onto puppy mills etc..Recently he had a client,an older woman on a very fixed income,that brought in,what she was told,was a 3 month old mini poodle..

My vet had to tell her that her dog,wasnt 3 months,but 3 years old and had been bred very many times and needed medical condition for her legs...because the lady was on a fixed income,he did the work for free..

Anyhow...she was paying the so called breeder,in payments and even when this lady contacted the breeder and told her what my vet had said,the breeders reaction was nonplussed..and she threatened action if the lady didnt continue to pay for the dog

As the older lady was standing in front of a local store in my area,with her dog..whom, she had grown to love....a german sheperd on a leash attacked the small dog and killed it instantly..

The bystanders and owners of the store,as well as the community,worked together and got a purebred brand new mini poodle pup for this woman,with a huge supply of toys and food.

My vet has alot of connections in the business..and checked out the so called breeder and informed his client that she was nothing more than a backyard puppy mill....

Princesss04
October 14th, 2004, 02:14 PM
That story is so sad but had a good ending. Thanks to your vet hopefully there will be alot of other people that will not fall into the same trap that this woman did. I do not understand how people can breed animals like that and treat them bad and have no feelings about it. It is a sick world we are living in. sad

mastifflover
October 14th, 2004, 02:18 PM
I am glad that this sad story had a happy ending. Maybe one more person got educated about BYB's as well. What a great vet obviously loves the animals and the community.

Mysts38
October 14th, 2004, 02:19 PM
He told me of another sad story..where a man had adopted a Himalayan kitten from a so called reputable breeder..He had made an appointment for the kitten with my vet on Sat..but the cat passed away on Friday...apparently the kitten was sold with a deadly virus.

The owner tried to contact the breeder to no avail...My vet asked me for my breeders full name and the kennel name..he told me that when I come in with Hannah..he will have had her(breeder)checked out

I believe my vet is on the board of directors for the ontario SPCA..as well as he investigates breeders/puppy mills etc..and teaches medicine at a local college...hes also a wonderful country vet with a lovely personality

GsdDiamond
October 14th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Wow. Sounds like you have an awesome vet! Mine's not bad, but nowhere near as good as yours.

Miss Kyla
October 14th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Who is your vet, I have never seen a vet go to so much trouble. Your lucky!