Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog's driving us batty!!!

enough-already
October 14th, 2004, 01:20 AM
Hi,

I have 2 German Shepherds. Both were brought into the family after our cat. The cat stays either inside or out the front while the dogs are out the back (although they do come into the house at times)

Now my problem is that dog number one has "issues" with the cat and goes nuts everytime he see's her. The other dog meanwhile just looks at him like he's crazy!... it's been going on for about 2 years now and it's just ridiculous! any ideas how to solve the problem?

We've tried introducing the cat and the dog, but...err... well the dog learnt the hard way what those sharp things on the cat's feet are for, but honestly he's no different toward her now than before we started trying to introduce them!

Please help!

debanneball
October 14th, 2004, 04:56 AM
Two years, no better results, unfortunately, you may get no better. We saved an older GSD, kept the cats in the basement, and over close to 6 months, they came up one by one, and then finally, Lady accepted the cats as her 'sisters'. Now, we have Stella (11 months), she plays with one cat, fights with another, and chases Coco. And, if she doesn't stop chasing Coco, I guess that's the best we can get. At least she doesn't hurt them, so I should be happy. Keep lots of high spaces for your cat, who knows, maybe someday..................... :confused:

Lucky Rescue
October 15th, 2004, 07:24 PM
What have you done to try and fix this behavior?

Since this has been permitted to go on for two years, it may take some time to correct, but GSDs are very smart and trainable.

Your dog needs to learn that YOU are the boss and that he is NOT allowed to "go nuts" for the cat. You need to put him on leash when the cat comes around. Any lunging or acting up needs to be firmly corrected with a stern "NO CAT." The second the dog calms down or turns and looks at you, praise and treat him or give him a favorite toy.

You must be consistant with this, and never allow him to go for the cat. He may always want to, but will learn that you do not permit this stuff.