Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What breed of small house dog would be good to adopt for a family with small children

ginamf
November 15th, 2002, 10:21 PM
WE are currently looking to adopt a small house dog. what small breed dog would be good for a family with small children ( the youngest is 23 months old):confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: ur help would be greatly appreciated
:p

Koran
September 13th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Hi,
I would reccomend a Toy American Eskimo dog. They only get to be 10-15 pounds, are playful, energetic and gentle, and with some kind training, can be a wonderful pet for children.

ginamf
September 14th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Thanks !! the suggestion is greatly appreciated, and iwill look into that breed of small dog

My Familly and I thank you :D

clarence
September 15th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Bichon Frise is a good bet too. Good with kids, pretty small, and trainable. The same goes for the king Charles Spaniel and the english springer spaniels.

Miniature and toy poodles are also good choices.

Smaller, but still good with kids are shih tzus and pugs.

good luck

Clarence

Xenon
September 27th, 2003, 10:32 AM
What size do you consider to be small?

Bulldogs are not small compared to a chihuahua, but they are compared to a mastiff or rottie...

Bulldogs make excellent family pets. They are extremely laid back and sociable. They also don't need a lot of excercize.

They can be hard to find though, and I suggest you find a good breeder in your area. There is also usually a pretty long waiting list for them.

ginamf
September 29th, 2003, 12:22 AM
Hi!! yea thanks for that posting!!
actually small breed for my family would be a dog that grows about mid shin tall so like what about 2 feet? lol any breed that height or smaller would be good.
and thanks for the tip!! bulldogs are hard to come by :-(

Xenon
September 29th, 2003, 01:33 AM
An adult bulldog rarely gets much taller than 16". So I guess she fits your category. They aren't as hard to come by if you really want one, PM me and I can refer you to some good breeders in your area.

heyspicybear
July 19th, 2004, 01:49 PM
WE are currently looking to adopt a small house dog. what small breed dog would be good for a family with small children ( the youngest is 23 months old):confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: ur help would be greatly appreciated
:p
I know of a white felmale spade toy poodle. If interested please email me at kar2004@shaw.ca

glasslass
July 19th, 2004, 03:02 PM
I'm sorry, but I disagree with suggestion of toy or miniature poodles. I've had both (4) over the last 38 years. Poodles need a calmer environment and the toys can easily have their little legs broken in rough play. They can be competitive with the child because they want to BE the child. They are my very favorite chosen breed. They are the ideal housedog. However, I am realistic about them. I bought my mom a toy poodle and he is ideal for her. Easy to carry, interactive, a cuddler, doesn't require a lot of outside walking, etc. etc. etc. But Corky excitedly leaped out of my mom's lap on to the kitchen floor, landed wrong, and broke his leg. They are fragile little dogs. Fortunately, he doesn't even have a limp now. If you even think of a poodle, make it one of the larger ones with a sturdier bone structure and teach kids to not over excite them in play. Don't need more poodles with that neurotic stigma!

Goldenmom
July 19th, 2004, 03:08 PM
You are posting to a thread that was started last year!!! :confused:

Heather

glasslass
July 19th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Woops! Got me all excited! :p

Spoiled
July 22nd, 2004, 12:13 PM
I wonder who brought it up? Started in 2002. They should take the old threads off after a certain number of days not being in use. :D

wheatthins4life
September 29th, 2008, 11:25 PM
okay, this is going to be long but i would love it if i could get some answeres. I'm looking for a small house dog that does NOT shead that much, does not bark a lot, easy to house train, and won't tear up my back yard.I already have some dogs that i like and would love to know if they have some of these qualities that im looking for. They are toy poodle, dachshunds, teacup yorkshire terriers, toy american eskimo, havanese, maltese, toy fox terrier, hybrid fawn puggle, golden doodle, australian terrier, cairn terrier, and a cardigan welsh corgi.
Please respond if you have any information for me :fingerscr
Thanks! - wheatthins4life

happycats
September 30th, 2008, 07:35 AM
I wonder who brought it up? Started in 2002. They should take the old threads off after a certain number of days not being in use. :D

Yup, and it still goes on in 2008 :D

Soter
September 30th, 2008, 08:20 AM
ok, so let me get this straight.

this is a thread that was originally started in 2002, and it was found and posted on. I guess 'ginamf' has already found a dog and the youngest of his/her kids is not 23 months old any more??

have i missed something? or did i get that completley wrong:D

happycats
September 30th, 2008, 08:28 AM
ok, so let me get this straight.

this is a thread that was originally started in 2002, and it was found and posted on. I guess 'ginamf' has already found a dog and the youngest of his/her kids is not 23 months old any more??

have i missed something? or did i get that completley wrong:D

Yup your right, "ginamf" kid is 8 years old now :eek:and she probably found her dog long ago. then a year later members started posting again, then wheatins4life posted yesterday, which resurected this thread yet again :D

Soter
September 30th, 2008, 08:28 AM
btw

in reply to 'wheatthins4life' i think toy fox terriers, daschunds and corgis are gr8. also scottie dogs (scottish terriers) are great 4 families, but they require loadza brushing.

personally, mutts (mixed breeds) are perfect, because you can get the best of everything, a mix of good breeds with every quality..

a bit of golden retirever for an excellent family dog
a bit of small terrier for size
and (i think) that short-haired daschunds are easiest to brush,
(i used to live next to a family who bred shorthaired daschunds and i was always going over there)

just a thought