Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spring '12

Goldfields
September 1st, 2012, 04:09 AM
The first day of Spring is over in my garden, it's now dark. Today was not just the first day of Spring here, it was also National Wattle Day. So, first photo has to be our National Emblem here in Oz, the Golden Wattle. Second one is some blossom on a young Manchurian Pear, and I wish I could recall the name of the red flower. Maybe I don't even know it seeing a friend gave it to me. LOL. It's been a nice day weather-wise, but getting warmer still over the next couple of days. :thumbs up They forecast 23C for Tuesday, yay!

Barkingdog
September 1st, 2012, 10:30 AM
The first day of Spring is over in my garden, it's now dark. Today was not just the first day of Spring here, it was also National Wattle Day. So, first photo has to be our National Emblem here in Oz, the Golden Wattle. Second one is some blossom on a young Manchurian Pear, and I wish I could recall the name of the red flower. Maybe I don't even know it seeing a friend gave it to me. LOL. It's been a nice day weather-wise, but getting warmer still over the next couple of days. :thumbs up They forecast 23C for Tuesday, yay!

The Golden Wattle are very pretty but I think I am going sneeze looking at them!

Goldfields
September 1st, 2012, 08:30 PM
Their perfume is lovely, if you don't suffer from allergies. :D

hazelrunpack
September 1st, 2012, 10:16 PM
They sure are pretty!

Goldfields
September 6th, 2012, 09:08 AM
The bees must be very hungry here, I saw one valiantly trying to open a tulip bud today. This one found a poppy, it was lucky.
This little tulip, Tulipa Saxatius, did open, but it's a small species tulip the bee was after. I am impatient to see the colour seeing it was gifted to me.
Third photo is the new Hellebore I picked up when I went shopping. Looks like it will flower this year so might post a photo later.

Goldfields
September 6th, 2012, 09:16 AM
The first photo shows it's Springtime I think. My pale blue Echium starting to flower, plus the white lilac putting on leaves.
Love Cerinthe Major, hope you don't get sick of seeing it.
I should know what the succulent is, but forget. It is so cold that I am amazed that it is going to flower.

Goldfields
September 6th, 2012, 09:23 AM
There are a few wallflowers left from last year to add a splash of colour.
These Lucerne trees must be Heaven for the local wild bees. :thumbs up
Must say I do like pretty pastels.

hazelrunpack
September 6th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Awesome blooms, GF!! I never get tired of cerinthe! :D And the succulent is breathtaking, whatever it is!

Dog Dancer
September 6th, 2012, 02:35 PM
What beautiful flowers all of them! I'm awe struck. Of course I truly love your little honey bee. :o

Goldfields
September 21st, 2012, 09:09 AM
Must say that I like Candytuft, whether it be white or mauve.
Tulipa Saxatilis in full bloom.
Double white spotted Hellebore.

Goldfields
September 21st, 2012, 09:19 AM
Veltheimia capensis.
Hellebore Yellow Picotee.
Poppy.

hazelrunpack
September 21st, 2012, 01:51 PM
That double hellebore is gorgeous!!! I like the Tulipa Saxatilis, too--I've never seen or heard of that one before!

Goldfields
September 21st, 2012, 07:08 PM
From memory that Tulipa Saxatilis may have come from the Digger's Club and they have some rare plants. It is supposed to tolerate heat and cold, which is why I bought it. :D This other species tulip seems to be tolerating the conditions here though too.
I agree on the Hellebore, very pleased that I bought it.:)

hazelrunpack
September 22nd, 2012, 09:43 AM
Wow! Love the triangular petals on that last tulip! Beautiful!

Goldfields
October 4th, 2012, 07:57 PM
The roses are starting to flower, ditto for the irises - yay!! So, first rose is Pink Parfait. I'll mix it up by including a dainty little Moraea, then another rose, Black Beauty.

Goldfields
October 4th, 2012, 08:02 PM
The first iris for the season is a fairly plain one, but others are coming soon.

hazelrunpack
October 5th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I love blue iris!! That little Moraea looks like it might be an iris of some sort, too?

Your roses are, as always, gorgeous!

Is your knee allowing you to get out gardening? :fingerscr

Goldfields
October 5th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Funnily enough, my Botanica of garden plants says , about Moraeas ...'These beautiful, iris-like cormous perrenials are native mainly to southern Africa.' I suppose that's why they appeal to anyone who likes irises, and speaking of which, the catalogue arrived from the Tempo Two Iris farm yesterday. WOW!!! Out of this world! Top price $75.(Yikes!) LOL. Reminder to self, MUST win Tattslotto tonight!
I cannot kneel (yet?) so all weeding and planting in the garden has to be done bending over. I'm not good at squatting . So, the knee gets sore, Hazel, but all in all, I'm doing more than I thought I might be able to.

hazelrunpack
October 6th, 2012, 10:13 AM
That's good to hear, GF...about getting stuff done, I mean. The $75 iris I'm going to have to pass on! :eek: :laughing:

Good luck with the lotto!! :goodvibes: :D

Goldfields
October 6th, 2012, 07:53 PM
I won enough to buy one of their cheap ones only, Hazel . :( LOL. I might have a planting day today, I want to get some Bearded Irises out of pots seeing I saw what happens when you leave them too long in them ..... a big tangled mess of roots, I had to hose the dirt out of them then carefully tease them apart. Have some petunias to put in and maybe some roses.

hazelrunpack
October 7th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Hey, a cheap one is better than none!! :D I never win anything at the lotto. I think I'm saving up all my luck for the Big Win! :o :laughing: Yeah, right! :D

Goldfields
October 7th, 2012, 06:53 PM
But someone, or was it 3 lucky people, won over $1,000,000. Not fair I reckon. :( LOL.

Here is a link to Tempo Two - enjoy! :) I am toying with the idea of getting into Dwarf Bearded Irises, have you ever grown them?

hazelrunpack
October 7th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Nope. I've never even heard of them before this thread. :o Do they look like the full-sized flower only smaller? Or do they look more like Siberian iris?

They say you can't win if you don't play. And I fall for that and buy a lotto ticket every week! :laughing:

Goldfields
October 7th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Sorry, forgot the link. This one is to the Dwarf irises, new this season. I love the one called Rock Goblin.

http://www.tempotwo.com.au/Tempo_Two/Dwarfs.html

From this page you can see the new Talls and Medians as well.

http://www.tempotwo.com.au/Tempo_Two/Welcome.html

Re the lotto. I only shop fortnightly, so one ticket per fortnight. :D

hazelrunpack
October 8th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Ooooooo...pretty pretty!!!! Those dwarf irises are beautiful!

Goldfields
October 8th, 2012, 06:50 PM
In the catalogue there is a large collection of them and a special deal, 10 of the $8 plants for $70. It'd be a nice introduction to them. I don't really want to order Tall Bearded Iris this year as I have 3 big pots full that have to be put into the ground after flowering, plus an order I put in last season still has to be collected. I am weeding a rose bed this morning that is very overgrown, then maybe doing some mowing. I'll see how my back holds out. We have appalling weather forecast for later this week. It's been a dismal Spring so far. Cold!

lindapalm
October 8th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Goldfields, you sound like your doing good since your surgery. Hows the pain in comparison to before the surgery?

hazelrunpack
October 9th, 2012, 08:59 AM
I was going to ask before but forgot--why do you pot your bearded iris, GF?

Goldfields
October 9th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I seem to get all sorts of pain with the knee now, lindapalm, if I do too much. Sometimes it can be too much bending down pulling weeds, too much walking, or just turning the wrong way, pivotting, so when I take Jarrah to Obedience on Sunday(hopefully) I will have to be careful. None of the excruciating pain that came if I rolled over while asleep, prior to the op. though. I don't limp either, just walk a bit slower.
Hazel, my garden had became a jungle, the rose beds were full of weeds, particularly out in what used to be a small sheep paddock, so I couldn't put the irises into the ground . It's taken till now to catch up after the op.. In this first photo, that big stump of a gum tree behind the mower has 20 roses in a circular bed around it and today I weeded all that, plus mowed in there, and in this second area I mowed it so I can lay a track there tomorrow for Jarrah. I feel good enough to want to weed some more beds tomorrow but the weather might be against me.

Goldfields
October 9th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Oh, the third photo there is the weeds I was up against, so tall I couldn't see some of the roses. LOL.

Goldfields
October 9th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Some roses now. This first one is Lady Mary Fitzwilliam. They say this one puts more into producing beautiful flowers than it does into growth.

Burgundy Iceberg , not as burgundy as it gets when the weather is warmer.

Finally an old favorite, Crocus Rose.

Goldfields
October 12th, 2012, 08:22 AM
The rose, Ashram, hidden almost by Flanders poppies that have taken over it's bed.
The Tall Bearded Iris, Point in Time.
Finally the succulent I posted earlier, but now nearly in full bloom. Aeonium arboreum I think from memory.

hazelrunpack
October 12th, 2012, 12:10 PM
That succulent is awesome! I've never seen anything like it. Love the roses and irises, too!

Goldfields
October 13th, 2012, 08:35 AM
I went to a Garden Expo today and of course came home with 3 more roses. :D Also bought some Verbenas, Gerberas and a nice pink Clematis. I can't wait to have a few free days so I can get into the garden, but tomorrow Obedience with Jarrah, Monday washing, and Tuesday, shopping. (sigh) Why do mundane chores have to get in the way of us having fun all the time? LOL.

hazelrunpack
October 13th, 2012, 11:14 AM
We all need to win the lottery so we can hire that sort of chore out, GF! :laughing: Garden Expos sound dangerous for the pocketbook!

Goldfields
October 13th, 2012, 04:29 PM
True! The only incentive I had not to bankrupt us is all the potted plants here at home waiting to be planted. :D Only 4C here and I have to jump in the shower then head over to Obedience . Now I know why I gave up showing, it would have been a much earlier and colder start to go to shows.

Dee-O-Gee
October 13th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Lady Mary Fitzwilliam is absolutely STUNNING GF! :flirt:

I wish it was spring again here. :cry:

Goldfields
October 13th, 2012, 09:50 PM
I'm glad you like her, DOG. She is taking a long time to fully bloom and I love that! New Duet is another like that, although this one is nicer.

Goldfields
October 16th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Well, my Ice Blue clematis is flowering, ditto for the pink I just bought, so they can be posted together. I put a Phlox in at the feet of the blue one as a ground cover to keep its roots cool. Neither are very advanced.

Goldfields
October 16th, 2012, 10:29 PM
A nice bright iris. :thumbs up
Lady Mary Fitzwilliam in full bloom.
Silk investigating a new petunia.

Goldfields
October 16th, 2012, 10:49 PM
A nice iris clump outside my office window. This iris is named Point in Time.
Next is the rose, William Morris.
Finally Rosa Rugosa Alba.

hazelrunpack
October 17th, 2012, 09:12 AM
The Ice Blue Clematis is a stunner, GF! So is that Lady Mary Fitzwilliam rose!! (But my fave pic is Silk taken time to smell the flowers! :D)

Goldfields
October 17th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Fingers crossed that those two clematis survive our hot summer, Hazel. Silk just loves petunias, I'm going to have to get up close to some today to see what the scent is like. Here is another iris just flowering today. Then two roses, Sutters Gold and Friesia. Nothing much doing in the garden yet.

Goldfields
October 17th, 2012, 10:27 PM
A bit of sunshine and we have a couple more irises out.

Legato.
Knighted.
Joyfulness

Dog Dancer
October 18th, 2012, 10:44 AM
GF, I don't know how you remember the names of all these things, let alone how you grow so many gorgeous flowers. I for one am truly impressed. They are all fabulous, my bee's would love it in your yard.

How is Silk doing by the way??

hazelrunpack
October 18th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Absolutely gorgeous roses, GF!

I'll second that question about Silk! If that's a recent pic a few posts up, she's looking pretty good! :goodvibes:

Goldfields
October 18th, 2012, 07:32 PM
DD, it's only good seasons that allow me to grow anything here. You should have seen it during our 13 years of drought. I wanted a pretty, as in colorful garden after that. I don't recall the names of everything, though roses are easy, as distinctive as my individual dogs. However I am wracking my brains - no, the name came to me as I typed that , for a blue flowered plant, I am finally having success in getting a Plumbago growing. :thumbs up Your bees would have lots of competition here, there are wild bees in the forest opposite us.
Silkie is as good as she could be at just a month short of turning 14. Her tooth abcess settled down with antibiotics but her major problem is her poor little legs, she'd gone down onto her hocks, as did her mother before her. I always said that if she did she is too fine to have support casts and I would have to put her down, BUT instead I make it easier for her by carrying her outside, putting her on the soft grass, then carrying her back in later. She will let me know when it's all too much for her. Her appetite is still good.
I am off to a show with my friend and one of her mini ponies tomorrow, then doing Obedience on Sunday, so hopefully while I am preoccupied my garden will decide Spring is here and produce more lovely blooms. Today we have a surprise in the first photo, Scilla natalensis, which I didn't know I had, must have arrived in some Spanish bluebell bulbs many years ago. Dutch iris next, then up close with a Foxglove.

hazelrunpack
October 19th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Love your surprise Scilla natalensis--I wonder if hummers would like it, too!

Goldfields
October 19th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Don't have hummers so can't say but I haven't seen a New Holland Honeyeater showing any interest in it.

Dog Dancer
October 19th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Glad to hear Silk's teeth are better, but sorry to hear how she's doing age wise. It's so hard to watch them age. Sweet hugs to her from me. Have fun at the show tomorrow.

lindapalm
October 19th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Goldfields, I have two questions. Do you do anything to your Iris after they stop blooming, like cutting them back, or do you just let them do their own thing? Also, what causes shelties to have the leg problems, ours did and it got really rough on her after a few years, I always wondered what caused it, old age? Do other dogs have that problem, too? (I lied, that was three questions)

Goldfields
October 20th, 2012, 09:35 AM
lindapalm, I am no expert on irises so I leave them alone apart from giving them lime in winter, stripping back any leaves that have dried off, then giving them a good feed at the start of Spring. Here are a couple that flowered today. The yellow one is Lemon Twist, I can't name the other at the moment.Last photo is an Echium.
I really don't know what causes that problem with shelties but I think it could be an inherited problem, at least with Silk's family. She and her mother were effected, and I was told of others carrying a prefix that shows in their pedigrees. I haven't heard of it in other breeds, but that's not to say it doesn't happen. I might quiz a friend about it, see if she knows more.

Goldfields
October 31st, 2012, 02:19 AM
Don't know where I got Lemon Twist from, that yellow iris is Lemon Mist and it has a lovely perfume. The other one is Romancer.

Goldfields
October 31st, 2012, 02:28 AM
I hope I don't repeat any blooms.

Admiral Rodney.
The iris, Amenort.
Ageratum Patina Delft.

Goldfields
October 31st, 2012, 02:40 AM
Haven't a name for some irises unfortunately. The rose is Blue Moon.

Goldfields
October 31st, 2012, 02:51 AM
The rose here is Rosa Chinensis Mutabilis. I love singles, but one that can change colour is just a bonus. :) More tonight, I must go feed my ponies.

Goldfields
November 16th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Goodness, I am about a fortnight behind with my garden photo's. :sorry: The roses got into full stride at the end of October. Not a great deal else is doing well, far too cold, below average temp's on the whole.

The Herbalist.
Tipsy Imperial Concubine. Great name. LOL. This one is a Tea rose.
Vanguard. A beautiful Rugosa rose. Rugosas originated in Japan. Extremely disease resistant, extremely cold and salt tolerant.

Goldfields
November 16th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Some cheery Wallflowers.
A pure white iris .
Fourth of July.

Goldfields
November 16th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Fisherman's Friend.
Iceberg.
Golden Wings.

Goldfields
November 16th, 2012, 09:31 AM
This first one should be striped red and yellow, however Abracadabra sometimes produces pure dark red blooms like this, or rich yellows, in fact it can have the 3 types on the bush at the same time.
Abraham Darby.
Amadeus. The black edges on the petal are caused by our weather I think, I quite like the effect.

pbpatti
November 16th, 2012, 10:05 AM
GF, I had no idea that there were so many different Roses. All of your flowers are stunning, thank you for bringing a bit of summer to us.

hazelrunpack
November 16th, 2012, 10:16 AM
I swear, when you post rose pics, I can smell the scent right through the screen! :cloud9:

Barkingdog
November 16th, 2012, 10:46 AM
You really have a green thumb! You flowers are beautiful. My condo hired some new landscapers and I think one of guy cut my daffodils leaves off thinking they where weeds . I hope the guy did not pull the blubs out too.

Goldfields
November 16th, 2012, 06:42 PM
BD, I know the feeling. When we had to go onto pipeline water my brother Bob and his family all came up and had a working bee here. The men dug the trench and buried the pipes to our tanks, my nieces did things in the garden. Well, because I couldn't be in 6 places at once, Traci whipper snippered my whole bed of bulbs. :eek: I didn't say anything, she thought she was helping. It looked like a bed of weeds but I'd been waiting for the bulbs to come up so I could shift them, weed the bed and start afresh. Have had to wait another year but this year my knee op. meant I couldn't do it. I think patience is a must for all gardeners. It'll all get done eventually.

Baronne Edmond de Rothschild.
Blue Moon
Blueberry Hill.

Goldfields
November 16th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Belle Story, a bit apricotty because of the cold. Usually more pink.
Bantry Bay.
Angel Face.

Goldfields
November 16th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Apricot Gem, a striking rose.
Apricot Nectar.
Buff Beauty

Goldfields
November 16th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Raspberry Tiger. This rose , apart from having a lovely shape lasts 2 weeks in a vase, has very high flower production and loves heat. What more could I want here? :thumbs up
Bright eyes.
Camp David.

Goldfields
November 16th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Brilliant Pink Iceberg
Charles de Gaulle
Charles Rennie McIntosh

Goldfields
November 16th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Papa Meilland- massive blooms on this bush, superb fragrance.
Two of my late flowering irises, names unknown.

Goldfields
November 16th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Centranthus Ruber, aka "kiss-me-quick".
The purple iris may be a dwarf iris, or it hates the position I have it in??

Goldfields
November 16th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Daylily.
Whisky.
Aquilegia.

Goldfields
November 16th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Kronenbourg.
Grace.
Fourth of July.

That's it for the moment, just did this while scanning my computer with Nortons.

Barkingdog
November 16th, 2012, 09:37 PM
BD, I know the feeling. When we had to go onto pipeline water my brother Bob and his family all came up and had a working bee here. The men dug the trench and buried the pipes to our tanks, my nieces did things in the garden. Well, because I couldn't be in 6 places at once, Traci whipper snippered my whole bed of bulbs. :eek: I didn't say anything, she thought she was helping. It looked like a bed of weeds but I'd been waiting for the bulbs to come up so I could shift them, weed the bed and start afresh. Have had to wait another year but this year my knee op. meant I couldn't do it. I think patience is a must for all gardeners. It'll all get done eventually.

Baronne Edmond de Rothschild.
Blue Moon
Blueberry Hill.

I hope your blubs will come back. I live in a condo so I really do not dare to spend a lot of money on flowers as they'll get pulled up or mowed down. I do love looking at your flowers especially with it being fall here and everything bare and gray.

lindapalm
November 16th, 2012, 10:17 PM
The purple Iris and the Kronenbourg Rose have very intense colors, their beautiful.

Goldfields
November 17th, 2012, 12:52 AM
lindapalm, I like the intense colours also, but a jumble of colours is my aim.

Goldfields
November 17th, 2012, 01:22 AM
Masquerade.
Candytuft.
Wife of Bath.

hazelrunpack
November 17th, 2012, 09:59 AM
The Aquilegia looks like our Columbine. So I googled it and learned Aquilegia is its scientific name. I never knew that! Grows native here so I've never had to buy any at a nursery, I guess! :D

The roses and irises are gorgeous, GF.

Goldfields
November 17th, 2012, 04:50 PM
It always amuses me when I find one of our cherished garden plants is growing wild in its country of origin, Hazel. :D Aquilegias are very popular with members of a garden group I'm in. I suppose the roses have done well considering they haven't had the best care this year. Still have a few that haven't flowered yet and thrip are causing a lot of damage, especially on white or cream roses, hard to get good photo's. I've had a good start to the day. Mowed a firebreak around the stables, wanted to do more but the mower broke down. Hope we have fixed it. Also got some more of my sunflowers planted, part of the garden watered while the dogs were out, and can finally have some breakfast.

Lady of Megginch.
Nigella( Love- in-a-mist).
Ebb Tide.

Goldfields
November 17th, 2012, 04:58 PM
The first one is for Hazel. Needless to say, the Honeysuckle is a favorite haunt of the New Holland Honeyeaters.
Duet.
Emanuel.

Goldfields
November 17th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Edelweiss.
Friesia.
Granada bud.

Goldfields
November 17th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Go For Gold . Bought this one in Memory of my last male cattle dog, Ch. Warkoo Go For Gold, aka Perkins. Potted at the moment but will be put near his grave.

Granada fully open.
Grimaldi.

Goldfields
November 17th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Jean Galbraithe.
Just Joey.
Kathleen Harrop.

hazelrunpack
November 17th, 2012, 08:41 PM
That's a beautiful rose to commemorate Perkins, GF! :grouphug: The Nigella is very pretty, too, but all the roses...ooo la la!! :cloud9:

And thanks for the honeyeater! :D

Goldfields
November 29th, 2012, 07:43 AM
I've been a bit slack in sending photo's to brighten your days, sorry about that.
The first rose is Best Friend, planted at the head of Susie's grave.
Next is Black Beauty.
One of my favorite striped roses, Cabana.
The roses have been savagely attacked by thrip this season, also black spot, powdery mildew on a few, and it was either too cold or too darn hot. I think I'm lucky to have anything to show you.

Goldfields
November 29th, 2012, 07:54 AM
I love Cappuchino, as a drink too, but this rose is such a different colour, and it has a very nice form.
Friesia, such a cheery yellow.
Lili Marlene, and a friend.:laughing:

Goldfields
November 29th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Windemere.
Silver Ghost
Rose du Roi.

hazelrunpack
November 29th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Cabana and Cappuchino are lovely, but I think Silver Ghost is my fave of this set, GF! Simple yet elegant. :D

Goldfields
November 29th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Singles are nice, I must admit. I have a few now. Silver Ghost, Mrs Oakley Fisher, Dainty Bess, Sally Holmes, Red Coat, Golden Wings etc.. Always on the lookout for more, also species roses. There are some very nice singles in the Scots roses too. Of course you have to work out how prickly they'd be, whether they are huge, and then there is the disadvantage of them flowering only once, like my Rugosa rose, Vanguard. It was superb, every bloom worth a photo, but now I have to wait a year to see it again.(sigh)

CsqU4r3d
November 29th, 2012, 05:51 PM
OH my what a wonderful array of flora...my mom loved yellow roses, and I am a fan of Irises, you have covered both beautifully. I am so jealous...I get 6 inches of snow :cry::yell:and you have beautiful flowers, :lightbulb:I think Chum and I want to come live with you.:thumbs up

Goldfields
November 30th, 2012, 09:45 AM
I think Chum and Jarrah would have a blast if they got together, you'd be welcome. I love bright yellow roses, they seem to last well. I'm looking forward now to my sunflowers flowering. Must tie them up tomorrow, they are growing fast.