Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

SCARY First walk for Hannah!-What to do

Mysts38
October 13th, 2004, 12:09 PM
hi all

Yesterday I decided to take hannah for her very first walk and it was a scary one for her and I..we were walking around the neighbourhood,when two dogs came bounding out of their backyard,untethered and ran up to me and Hannah..I also had my 6 year old with me

I picked Hannah up...took my daughters hand and told her o walk calmly and ignore the dogs..not to even look at them.One of the dogs was jumping up to see Hannah

As I was walking,the owner of the dogs came after them and called them back,which they ignored..just kept following me...the owner snapped at me to stop walking,which I did then she swore, as if it was my fault. Wasnt my fault her dogs didnt come back when called...or my fault they werent tethered in the back yard.

What do you do in a case like this..keep walking or stand still??...

I know one of the dogs but not the other as it is new to the owner..and Iam not sure of its temperment...

It was scary for me..but more so for my 6 year old,as the dogs were bouncing around her...she freaked when she got home..these are large dogs at least 50+lbs and my 6 year old isnt a tall kid.

lilith_rizel
October 13th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Oh my. Those are big dogs to be running around such a young child. I would be frightened too. It is a good thing you picked up Hannah. She looks s tiny. I would say, as long as the dogs weren't bearing teeth, stop, and let the owner get her dogs. But she should have had them secure, where they couldn't have left the yard, or frighten a passer-by. After all, you have the right to feel safe on a walk. Is there a law in your neighbourhood about dogs that are loose? I know there is one here.
I would be very careful when walking by the dogs again. If possible, even change the route you take your walks.

sammiec
October 13th, 2004, 12:20 PM
You poor guys!!! *Blood boiling right now* Grrr, that makes me so mad!!! I tell you , if I was there (and didn't have a 6 year old with me) I would have yelled and cursed at that idiot. How dare they say that it's your fault!!
I would say walk. You're not the one responsible for those animals. You have yours under control and you are walking on public property, keep on your way.
I would have kept walking... I probably would have walked across to the other side of the road. That would have forced those no good idiotic owners to come and get their dogs. Then I would have made some witty comment about how irresponsible they were that it's their fault for not watching their own dogs. I am peeved right now!!! I really hope your little girl is okay, she' not too shaken up about the whole thing!?!?
How has Hannah been? Cases like this can cause fear aggression to develop in the puppy. Picking her up might not have been the best thing for her. I know that it's a reaction, and with a child in toe I would have done the same thing. But when you pick up the puppy your teaching her that being afraid of the other dogs is okay, because then you get cuddles. (Just for next time) If you had better control of the situation I would have left Hannah on the ground. I'm sorry that you guys faced this on her fisrt walk!

added: When I walk with Briggs and we are confronted by off leash dogs, they come sniff... the owner walks up slowly and says, "Don't worry, they're friendly." I say: "That's nice, but how do you know mine is?" That usually speeds them up... :eek:

Mysts38
October 13th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Hubby said I should have kept on walking and let the owner chase down the dogs..I did cross to the other side of the st to avoid the animals,but they kept on coming..

Yes there is a bylaw in this area that prevents animals from running loose...the owner first gets a warning and a fine..2nd time their animal gets taken away

sammiec
October 13th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Yup, I agree with hubby.

I'm sorry that you got told off by these idiots. Maybe wait to walk that way again until Hannah is a bit older. Right now is the "fearful" part of her growing up. She needs to be introduced slowly and confindently. If there is something that gives her a serious spook within the 9 to 15 weeks, that can stay with her for the rest of her life. These couple weeks should be time to introduce her slowly to loud sounds, traffic, children playing, stuff like that - but in moderation. If she seems to get very spooked stop the adventures for today and try again tomorrow. :)

GsdDiamond
October 13th, 2004, 12:35 PM
There is also a second fear stage that dogs go through at about 5-6 months old. Diamond would bark at everything and then run behind me or the Mrs. :rolleyes:

Protect your pup at this early stage but give more slack and show much more indifference at the second fear stage.

The owner of the two dogs should be slapped upside the head, but I know that's not the best solution. Avoid that street, if you can, until the pup is a bit older. She's so cute I'd hate for her to be hurt by those nasty dogs.

GunnerX
October 13th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Ugh! The nerve of some people!!! :mad: I would have just given them the universal one finger salute!! When I started walking Ariel, we encountered a larger dog that someone was also walking and it started barking at her. They were at the beginning of the block too. Ariel just froze and refused to move. I had to carry her past the other dog. After that incident, she was quite afraid of other dogs. Once she hears a bark even if it was nowhere near us, she would start running back home. We kept on bringing her to Petsmart though to keep her socialized with other dogs. Also, we brought her to my wife's co-worker's place for a day since her co-worker got ariel's sister and an older sister from the previous litter. She was quite afraid and snapped at her sisters when we first got there but by the end of the day, they were running around playing with each other. This definitely helped out a lot. Ariel's not afraid of other dogs now and has 2 best friends in our neighbourhood.

lilith_rizel
October 13th, 2004, 01:06 PM
If the dogs were running loose, I would report it. With dogs that big, it is easy for them to hurt a child, even if they aren't trying to, and just got all excited. It is the owner's fault the dogs left the yard, not yours. You weren't doing anything wrong. They were the ones not obeying the law.

heeler's rock!
October 13th, 2004, 06:28 PM
I agree with everyone. The owner's of the other dogs are totally at fault! If my dogs even try running to go see something without my permission, they get disciplined. Their re-call is also pretty good.

I was watching the news last night and a lady in Edmonton had the same type of situation happen to her. She was walking her shih tzu and a rotti came rumming out of a house accross the street! Her first instinct was to stand in front of her little dog to try and protect it. The owner of the rotti came running up to her, and he punched her!!! Then he kicked her while she was on the ground!!!! She is a 74 year old woman and he is a 32 year old man!!!!! What an a$$hole!!! Even if she cursed at him or peeved him somehow, that is no reason to hit someone, especially when you're the one at fault!!!! He got charged with assult causing bodily harm, and got 2 tickets. One for having his dog unsecured and another for something elase that I can't remember right now. Can you imagine?????? :mad:

lilith_rizel
October 13th, 2004, 06:48 PM
That is unbelievable. What a sad story.

Goldenmom
October 13th, 2004, 08:50 PM
I am concerned that you have the pup out on a walk at all. Parvo Virus is very prevelant and nothing to balk at.

You will need to be extremely careful. You don't even know if those dogs have had their shots etc.....

I would give the dog exercise in the backyard for now and when it gets a bit older, take for walks, but no grass allowed. Only walk the dog on pavement and watch out for other animals. Do not let your pup get in contact with ANY other dog on the street, until your pup has had all its shots at the age of 4 months.

When you take a pup to obedience class, all the other pups have to give proof of vaccination etc., so you know that the pup will be safe there. The street is a different story.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

wAggie
October 14th, 2004, 12:12 AM
I'm sorry I didnt get the chance to read all the posts, so please disregard some points that are repetative...

but you pup shouldnt be out "socializing" w other dogs until she recieves all her 3 boosters (2 in some cases).

another thing, I would agree that stopping when the owner asked is fine. but not the swearing. :mad: :rolleyes:

I would have said something back.

what a dummy. (the owner)

Mysts38
October 14th, 2004, 06:42 AM
That it was OK to walk Hannah,on the road..near our house..for jus short jaunts,but not to expose her to neighbourhood dogs till shes had her shots..but to be on the safe side,we are just gonna walk her on the property..

I have 3 acres so thats a good walk for her...

Dwight Byrd
October 14th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Dear Mysts 38,

What you, your daughter and little Hannah experienced must have been terrifying and was totally unacceptable. In a similar situation, I would call the police and report the person who let their dogs run loose on the street. Every dog owner, no matter how sweet their dog is, is responsible for making sure that there dog does not run loose in public areas. There is a liablity issue. I have a real sweetie, "Buddy", but I would never let him loose on the streets. I also think about Buddy's safety as well. I would not want him to be hit by a car. Until this issue is addressed, I would avoild taking Hannah on that street. You don't want her to associate going out for a walk as an unpleasant experience.

debanneball
October 14th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Mysts - exactly WHAT KIND OF TOWN DO YOU LIVE IN...there sure are a lot of ass#$%^&*s there. Seems to me that the people there are not nice, so I don't think I would ever visit it. Also, Golden is correct, you should not be taking Hannah out so early in her life, wait until she has had her necessary shots, and don't forget kennel cough. People sometimes overlook that shot, but if she is to meet other dogs..... :eek:

sammiec
October 14th, 2004, 08:16 AM
and don't forget kennel cough. People sometimes overlook that shot, but if she is to meet other dogs.....
That's the boardetella vacc. If for any reason Hannah might have to go into boarding they might request that she has this shot.

mastifflover
October 14th, 2004, 08:50 AM
That is an awful first experience for Hanna as well a you and your daughter. I cannot fathom why she would try and blame you for her lack of control over her dogs. You did nothing wrong except I agree with the other posts is to pick up Hanna. But once she has all her shots get her around some friendly dogs and let her realize they are not going to hurt her. There was not need to swear at you for her idiocy

glasslass
October 14th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Wow! Some people are just unbelievable! The only thought I had was that maybe they thought you were fleeing and the dogs were being stimulated to chase. Maybe they thought their dogs would back down if you held your ground. But swearing?? Personally, I wouldn't stick around with someone swearing at me, with or without dogs! No excuse for that kind of behavior!

With our dogs, when they were pups we let them have the run of our back yard because we knew there had not ever been any chance of contamination. We let our puppy socialize with friend's dogs that we knew were healthy and in safe environments as well as non-aggressive. We just avoided public places and any contact with unknown dogs.

tyr
October 15th, 2004, 11:38 AM
That was not a great first at all!! I hope that your future walks go much better. I am glad you picked Hannah up, she is still too small to face those big dogs right away. If the one you did not know had a mean temperment and grabbed her, you may not have been able to get her back. I feel sorry for your little girl. She must have been so scared! You did the right thing in remaining calm and continuing to walk. This would have helped your daughter to feel a little bit safer - If Mommy is calm everything must be okay, right? :)

I know some people have said that you should contact the police right away, etc.... I would disagree. If these people only get two chances - one in reality - one talking to/fine and then having them taken away it may be better to go about it another way. Allow them ONE chance with YOU. Tell them that the next time this happens you will contact the police and let them know that they have gone against the by-law.

The good news is that neither dogs were aggressive or mean tempered. They will likely not be threats even in the future. I would still talk to the owner though and let them know the consequences if this were to happen in the future. All dog owners deserve to feel that they are safe as well as their animals. You should not have to change your route because someone feels/knows that their pet is harmless and ignores the by-laws. Just because their pet is safe does not mean that other pets are. They are putting their own pet in jeopardy and making other owners feel uncomfortable and fearful.

TalonsMa
October 15th, 2004, 04:28 PM
That lady sounds like a witch! They're HER dogs, not yours, if she can't control them it's not your fault.
Right after Solara had her 8 week shots we were out walking her, we went past a house, and tiny yappy dog ran right up to Solara and bit her on the butt - for no reason! Poor Solar yelped, and my husband tried to kick the dog away. The kids who were supposed to be watching the dog ran over to get her, and the mom came out of the house asking what happened. I was so mad, I told the lady if I ever caught that dog off leash in the neighborhood again, I'd be calling Bylaw. So far so good. Haven't seen the dog since!!