Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

is my cat getting fat????

sujean
October 13th, 2004, 11:22 AM
i have a cat that seems to have gotten significantly heavier in the lat 6 months. however, his weight is not typical of a cat gaining weight. rather than gaining the "hanging belly" he looks like he is getting wider on the sides of his belly. so if you are looking at him from top down, he kinda looks like he's becoming a wide load-kinda pear shaped.

i am trying to determine if he should be gaining weight like this-my vet has claimed he needed to gain weight (as he was the runt of the litter and has always been small)...any ideas?

lilith_rizel
October 13th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Have you told your vet of the weight gain?
How much is he eating?
What is his age?
Has he been dewormed?
Do you have any before and after pictures of what he looks like?

I would talk to your vet atleast. I don't know what else to suggest. It may just be him getting fat, or it may be something else.

sujean
October 13th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Have you told your vet of the weight gain?
How much is he eating?
What is his age?
Has he been dewormed?
Do you have any before and after pictures of what he looks like?

he is not eating more than normal. however, he does get more crunchy treats than the others b/c he is my loverboy and i do treat him for being near mommy all the time... (shame on me!)

he is 2

yes, he has been dewormed

and no, no pictures from the direction i discussed.

i am waiting for a call back from my vet now.

lilith_rizel
October 13th, 2004, 12:09 PM
The treats MIGHT be doing it. Your vet should be able to tell you for sure. I am glad that you called them. I hope all is well with your kitty. Please keep me posted.

krdahmer
October 13th, 2004, 12:44 PM
I have actually had this problem lately with my cat Windy....she has always been a heavier cat-she has a little bit of a fat pouch on her belly, but the vet says she is healthy and as long as she doesn't gain more she's fine. Recently I took in a new cat, a male and since then she has seemed to fill out and now when I pick her up she feels very muscular, and I can see that with him here she is getting a LOT more exercise. But that's what it looks like, the fat pouch has not gotten bigger but if you look down at her, she seems to have gotten wider. She has no worms, or any health issues and recently got an a-ok from the vet....so I am not worried. Does your cat seem muscly or is it more soft? Also, when I was giving my cats a lot of treats (I did the same thing when they would snuggle with me- to encourage that behaviour- cause well I want them to keep doin it....lol ;) ) they started to gain weight at an alarming speed. I think that the treats were to blame because as soon as I stopped showering them with the treats, they slimmed back down to their normal weight (I also had to use 1 bag of diet food). Anyhow hope that was helpful in some way :D !

sujean
October 25th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Finally got into the vet and he checked out the belly. it was strange b/c his belly got really hard and you could actually feel 2 separate "pockets" on his belly.

Turns out that they were 2 fat pockets. while most cats will have the hanging belly syndrome when they develop fat bellies, fuki has developed these harder pockets of fat. strange.

although vet says we need to put him on a diet, he weighs the same as when we took him in last winter-and at that time, the vet said he was the only normal weight cat. what's up with that?

but then again, the vet ALSO said that fuki is may now growing into his adult body. i'm so confused.

GsdDiamond
October 25th, 2004, 12:51 PM
I think I would find another Vet that's not so confusing. Someone else may be able to talk to you in more easy to understand terms.:confused:

Personally, I don't get what your Vet said either....so you're not alone! :D

tyr
October 25th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Yeah - that sounds really strange to me. The vet should have one answer and one answer only. If there are a couple of possibilities she should be doing a more thorough inspection or run appropriate tests to rule them out one by one until she has the answer. If there are other vets in your area, I would suggest a second opinion. Just like people when they go to their doctor - if something does not feel right when you get an answer to a concern...get a second opinion.

Please keep me posted.