Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pets ownership and responsibility

lezzpezz
October 13th, 2004, 09:38 AM
From reading some posts over the past weeks, something irks me, and I just want to vent.

I fail to understand why people insist on getting a pet if they cannot afford to care for it. I understand the desire to take care of a cute furry being and it's all terrific until the animal becomes ill, needs vaccines, to be neutered, fed a special diet etc., then the pet becomes a burden and gets moved on. I also understand that there are too many unwanted pets in shelters and foster homes, but I'll never understand why people that can't afford the basic necessities for raising a pet for years insist on having a one. I realize they are trying to help, but as we see here too often, it is not working for anyone: the pet, the owner, and in all likelyhood, the place where the pet finally ends up. Eventually someone will have to pay something, and it will likely be the cat or dog.

I just needed to express this. Thank you.

raingirl
October 13th, 2004, 09:54 AM
that's an excellent point, and I totally agree. That's why I waited 2 years before seriously considering getting a dog. Now, my financial situation is a lot better and I have the extra money to spend.

I know to some people here it may sound like I don't have the money for a pet because I don't have a car and I don't have a home phone, but that's a personal choice (I can't stand how bad cars are for the environment!! gas guzzling SUVs and VANS make my cringe..definately one of my pet peeves! I would rather walk or bus! And why have a home phone when you can have a cell??)

For people who have never had pets though, pets can be perceived as a "cheap hobby"...it's only when you get one that you understand the expense. I had hamsters as a child...I was under 10 mind you and didn't really have control over the situation. They all died of pneumonia within a few weeks of each other (we had 4) because my mother didn't want to pay to see a vet for something that we can replace for free anytime. It's not like I could have done anything...I had no money!

mastifflover
October 13th, 2004, 10:12 AM
What you are saying is so true. Another of the reasons that really gets me is people that do not research the breeds that they would like to get. i think I will get a mastiff then they want to get rid of it because it is too big and sheds and drools. Please give me a break did you not read a book or talk to owners of the breed. I find this happening with all breeds, they need to much exercise, they aren't active enough. What they didn't come house trained and obedience trained you mean this is going to require work on their part. Bottom line who pays the ultimate price, the animal, not fair all they want is to love please you and all they want back is love.

lilith_rizel
October 13th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Rain, I love the fact that you care about the environment! :D If I had it my way, everyone would have to walk or use public transportation. And recycling would be a law. It makes both my husband and I sick to see trash laying on sides`of roads. It more or less offends his religion. His religion is based on all forms of life, and protecting them. He is Wiccan. Most people think that basically all he is is a witch, but if you actually studdy up on the basis of the religion, witch-craft is not the main point, and not a must. My husband doesn't do witch-craft, yet he believes all living thing are equal.

Thanks again for you care of our planet.

raingirl
October 13th, 2004, 01:06 PM
I didn't know wiccan was like that. That is so cool!! I get so frusterated at some people sometimes!! We are killing our environment people!!

I am super environmental. I hate my job because we use so much paper! And because of legal issues, we put most things on letterhead which is thicker and a waste of paper!!

The only car I would consider getting right now would be a "Smart fortwo" (smart car-2 seater). Unfortunately, they already have a 2 year waiting list! (They thought they wouldn't be popular in Canada, but they already sold the 1500 slotted for this year for all of Canada, and the 1000 for next year!!). IN 2006 they are coming out with the "Smart forfour" (4 seater). These cars are amazing. They are small, fuel efficient. One full gas tank (deisel) lasts over 600 km!!! I think in 2006 I will probably get a forfour. PLus, you can change the side panels youself for a colour change any time! And they have better crash ratings than all other new cars this year!

Sorry...ranting...I just love these cars. They make me drool....SMART CAR (http://www.smart.com)

Mysts38
October 13th, 2004, 01:19 PM
When you get a pet you have to take into consideration the amount of time and money spent just for routine vet visits,care etc..not to mention the extended costs,both emotionally and financially,should any serious problem arise with that pet.

I also do believe that with most people,their hearts are in the right place and want to give a home to an abandoned cat or dog..but realize all too soon how expensive it can be..and I cant really blame them for trying their best,because their best is alot better than some people!

lilith_rizel
October 13th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Yeah, Wiccan is very environmental based. My husband tried to explain all the concepts of his religion to me. I don't always undertand it, but it is interesting. I my self, don't know what religion I am right now, I am still searching for what makes sense.

Those cars seem to be really cool. I would love to get one.

lilpaws
October 13th, 2004, 01:59 PM
I agree, people should research a great deal more before getting a pet. I do understand the financial problems to a certain degree. Last year I was laid off and NO extra money but somehow kept the "family" together (kids, dog and cat). However, if some major expense (vet bill) came up I am not sure how I could have handled it. I had to put off getting her spay because of my situation, never, never did my family do without though. I would have looked for alternative options I suppose but I can understand why some people have difficulty. We cannot predict the future and sometimes there are tough decisions to make. Maybe it's naive but I like to believe that people are trying to make the best decision possible for their pet too?

lilith_rizel
October 13th, 2004, 02:15 PM
I always had dogs when I was growning up, so naturally, after my husband and I got married, I asked for one. And when we found out the food we were feeding him wasn't nurishing him very much, we immediately decided to switch to another brand. I know things are going to get tight when we have the baby, but we Knew we were expecting when we first got Cano, and we are going to take full resposibility over him, even if it means that we have to cancel cable, phone and internet, or sell some possesions to to keep both Cano, and Judith (soon to be daughter) in good health. We have no intetions of ever gettiing rid of him, or I sould say that I don't. My husband bought the puppy for me as a gift, and says that I am the only one that will be able to get rid of him. :rolleyes: What a sweetheart. I can't ever see getting rid of Cano. I want him to be able to grow up with our daughter, and be able to enjoy life, where I know he won't be hurt.

lezzpezz
October 13th, 2004, 04:18 PM
I fully agree that there are circumstances in life that change pet owners' lives when it comes to finances. I'm one of them. I have even taken on a second job to help pay some bills. But I'm referring to the folks that have not a clue as to what is involved in pet ownership from the get-go, and have not taken the time to investigate. They get a pet and "WHAMMO" it starts to cost money. Then the pet is disposable. This is the issue that bothers me. I would also do just about anything to keep my pets (now up to 6, plus the neighbour's pup on occasion!) in good health, and I do. It costs me thousands a year, but they are our family and get the best we can give them. I also donate to a few shelters etc., to help others. It just seems like the right thing to do.

lilith_rizel
October 13th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Lezzer,
You have a great big heart don't you! :D I love to see that in people. I wish everybody's hearts were as as yours. I would have a zoo (literally, monkies, zebras, the whole 9 yards) if I could afford it and had the proper education of each animal. Maybe one day I will become a zoo keeper or someting. I know lot of people think zoos are inhumane because they make money off the animals, but the animals there are being protected, and some zoos have many endangered animals that they are trying to prevent coming extinct, by breeding them. There is also a few zoos that the only thing you pay for is food, souveniers, and rides. You can look at all the animals free of charge. Those are the ones that I support the most. There is one like that is St. Paul Minnesota, for anyone who would like to know. It is Como Zoo. I have been going there since I was a year old. So, almost 21 years. And they take fine care of the animals there, and they try to rehabilitate animal life, so children a hundred years from now, can see zebras, and rare breeds of elephants and other animals.

lezzpezz
October 13th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Well, I love animals, as you can tell, and I worked for several years for a vet. I quit there because he was brutal to the animals....no bedside manner whatsoever. I kept taking home all of the cats and dogs! I had clients ask if I would take their pet when they were too old, (the owner) to handle the large dogs. I am now in the process of teaching my neighbour, who has a good heart, what it involves in raising a pup that he accepted on the spur of the moment. I think he now sees that german shepherd pups DO get bigger! I have taught him alot about training, healthcare etc., and he is in love with his new baby, so the prospects are good! Hooray!

I am glad to hear that there is a zoo that is respectful of animals and that you love being there. Sounds to me like more of a sanctuary! Very nice.