Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Barn Cats and Neighbours

Messica
August 15th, 2012, 04:37 PM
My name is Jessica and I am the proud new owner of a hobbie farm outside of town in a small village called Limehouse. Our street is all acreage properties. (We have 7) We however have had a run of very bad luck with the neighbors so far and am at my wits end and feel terrible about the way this is going. We came out here thinking it would be easy going. Wrong. My two barn cats, Links and Minx are lovely for outdoor cats. They like attention, come home to their barn every night, are fed well and have constant human attention. They don't seem to wander too far but daily go over to the neighbors yard. They have a small vegetable garden just on the other side of the fence and it would seem that cats like to use them for doing their business. I think they also like to hide under a big spruce/pine tree in their backyard. Any cats dream. Shade, branches and birds... what more could you ask for? Anywho, the lady of the house next door has made a few remarks that has lead me to believe that she doesn't enjoy cats on her property. So I went away for a couple days and upon my return my husband tells me that she had spoken with him about my cats and asked him to keep them on our side.. Politely he responded that they are barn cats....???? How would you suggest I do that?
She said don't be surprised if they are not here one day. And he said " well i guess i will know where to look" to which she replied "The SPCA."

So my question is.... how DO you keep outdoor cats or barn cats off the neighbors yard? Even with 3 of the acres fenced... they are cats..... they do jump and dig.... I would be much more understanding of such a request if i lived in town but surrounded by farm land and large acre properties. My cats are not the only ones walking around the neighborhood. Along with wild dogs, cats, coyotes, racoons, foxes, and so on...

Longblades
August 16th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Well, let's see.....

You could buy your neighbour an automatic sprinkling device that senses cat motion and would come on when they go over.

You could volunteer to fence in her garden with cat resistant fence. Probably that would entail a roofed enclosure and fencing dug down into the ground as well.

You could do her weeding for her.

You could build your cats their own garden/sandbox in your own yard.

You could build a cat room outside to contain them safely in your own yard. Smilar to fencing her garden but instead of.

Did you inherit the cats with the barn when you bought the new place? Or did you move your own cats to the new place? I'm kind of thinking if they were your cats before hand then they have to adjust to a new place and they might as well adjust to living safely, which for them might mean being inside cats. I am not a "keep your cat inside" person if you have safe space in the country but this sure does not sound safe for the cats.

Barkingdog
August 16th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Well, let's see.....

You could buy your neighbour an automatic sprinkling device that senses cat motion and would come on when they go over.

You could volunteer to fence in her garden with cat resistant fence. Probably that would entail a roofed enclosure and fencing dug down into the ground as well.

You could do her weeding for her.

You could build your cats their own garden/sandbox in your own yard.

You could build a cat room outside to contain them safely in your own yard. Smilar to fencing her garden but instead of.

Did you inherit the cats with the barn when you bought the new place? Or did you move your own cats to the new place? I'm kind of thinking if they were your cats before hand then they have to adjust to a new place and they might as well adjust to living safely, which for them might mean being inside cats. I am not a "keep your cat inside" person if you have safe space in the country but this sure does not sound safe for the cats.

I have a feeling the neighbor will find something to complain about the cats .
You have great ideas but it looks like the neighbor does not like cats. I am worried the neighbor may try to poison the cats.
What about putting Cat Repellent that give off a sound in the neigbor garden? I have no idea is these things really work.

Messica
August 22nd, 2012, 01:45 PM
Dear Longblades

Thank you for the ideas. I did mention to her when talking that we have spent thousands of dollars in fencing for the safety of our horses. Maybe she could invest in some fencing for her garden as it's not only my cats that like to rumage around in there. She laughed at me and said she has been here for twenty years and never needed a fence. I gave up on suggesting she buy anything to protect her garden.

I am thinking a sand box thing in our yard might be a good idea!
I have a vegitable garden too, just not as neat and tidy as hers.....
The thing that makes noise probably won't work for her.. I thought that might be a good x-mas pres to leave on their porch but the garden is a ways from their house, I don't think they are going to run power out there.

I am definetly going to try the sand box thing.

My husband is laughing at me for caring so much. He is kinda sick of her complaining and told her to do what she has to do. Next time there will be more cats :D

I didn't inherit all of them, just one. I call him sailor and i really don't know where he stays at night. He cannot get into my barn as we do not have a cat door. My two cats are in the barn at night, they come when they are called lol to come in a night.

I am not worried about her poisoning them.. she might not like them but she doesn't strike me as the poisoning type.

Reg
August 22nd, 2012, 11:16 PM
Hi:

I just remembered an instance I had a couple of years ago with a cat that used to visit outside our apartment and came up the outside stairwell and bothered our cats. A friend of ours, who is deeply involved in microbiology, suggested that I use a couple of drops of Lavender essential oil on the bottom step. I followed her directions, and I wasn't bothered again by the cat. It would only use the backyard and deck, it would not come up the stairs anymore.

I was thinking this may work in your neighbour's garden to repell the cats. It might be worth a try. I think what I would do would be to get some small pieces of wood and put a couple drops of oil on each piece and put them around the perimeter of the garden and see if that would work. The cats nose is about 14 times more sensitive than ours, and they use their nose for survival and the smell of the Lavender would turn them off. This might help your not so sociable neighbour think you are concerned about the cats travelling in her garden and it being used as a litter box. I would think that you'd have to repeat the drops every few days, and monitor to see what is happening.

Due to the fact that this is an essential oil, there are hazards to the majority of the oils with their use on or around our animals and birds. I am including a couple of websites for you to have a look at and decide on the use of this product. Since this is a Lavender oil and is mild and can be used around animals in very small amounts, and it is being used outside, it should be safe.

http://www.naturalnews.com/022909.html

http://www.holisticat.com/aromatherapy.html

If you're thinking of using essential oils in the future around animals make sure that you're being guided by a properly trained professional. These products have been known to be lethal when improperly administered to and around pets.