Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cleaning up old mess

Chrissy
October 12th, 2004, 09:19 PM
I recently moved into a house and found some left overs from the previous owner's cat or dog. It looks like it's been there a while because it's crystalized and dried up. It's under a set of stairs, which is why I haven't noticed it but I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for thoroughly cleaning it up. It's on cement so I'm not sure what I should use. I'm thinking once I start cleaning it up there is going to be an odor. Any help would be appriciated.

P.S. I have 2 cats and I don't want them to start going there instead of their litter box, plus I don't want to be using disinfectant or something that will be harmful to them.

Chrissy

lilith_rizel
October 12th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Try using soap and water. You said it is on cement right?

dmc123
October 12th, 2004, 09:25 PM
half water, half ammonia is a good cleaner for such..poor thing!
~~dmc

Cinnabear
October 12th, 2004, 10:43 PM
You could also try vinegar. Good luck.

Sneaky2006
October 13th, 2004, 08:03 AM
I thought ammonia wasn't good for cleaning pet messes because it resembles the smell of urine to them, which would make them mark that area?

sammiec
October 13th, 2004, 08:27 AM
When I first got my cat we lived in a house that had an unfinished basment. I guess he could detect the scent and started going to the washroom all over the basement I couldn't figure it out. Then in a conversation with the landlord it came up that they had VERY dirty tenants before us and their animals we left in the basement all the time. I close off the basement, scrubbed the floor with comet and a scrub brush, soaked it down and rinsed it off. Then I didn't let him down there for a couple days (moved the litter outside the door) and then sprayed a enzyme cleaner, let the dry and it stopped. Hope that helps a little.... :)