Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My sick cat

pxxiegirl
October 12th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Ashton went to the vet today to get his liver enzymes re-tested but this vet noticed his chest felt hard so he did an xray. It showed Ashton has a "diaphramatic hernia". Since he was a stray and we don't know how ling it's been there, there's no way to know what his chances would be if he had surgery. My husband doesn't want to spend $1500 on surgery anyway. Vet said Ashton has some fluid in his lungs and part of his bowel is in his chest region. He has about 1/3 lung capacity. He thinks he was probably hit by a car at some point in his life. So I guess I just make him comfortable and happy until he starts to seem to go downhill. It's so sad. He's finally has a happy, safe home and he may only have a couple months to live.

Has anyone heard of a cat living long with this condition?

lilith_rizel
October 12th, 2004, 07:56 PM
I am sorry that I can't give you any info, but I can give you by best wishes. I hope Ashton will live awhile longer.

glasslass
October 12th, 2004, 07:57 PM
That's so sad! Poor Ashton! How long have you had him?

pxxiegirl
October 12th, 2004, 08:00 PM
I found him 1 month ago. I'm already attached.

lilith_rizel
October 12th, 2004, 08:04 PM
I'd imagine, I was attatched to my cat we only had a month. It is easy to get attatched to such an angel, isn't it.

pxxiegirl
October 12th, 2004, 08:41 PM
It's almost worse knowing that he could possibly be better for $1500. Even if I talk my husband into it, Ashton may not even make it. I'm just praying he'll stay as comfortable as possible until the end. It kills me to know that it is emminent.

lilith_rizel
October 12th, 2004, 08:45 PM
I know. I went through it as a child. I feel for you. Just make his last days the best. Spoil him a bit, and give him all the attention he can get.

pxxiegirl
October 12th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the support. I just hope I'll know when it's time.

lilith_rizel
October 12th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Our kitty we had for only a month, died in the middle of the night, after a vet visit that day. We heard his cries not even 2 minutes before he past on. And only after they were loud enough for us to hear. He past away in my husbands arms. It was hard for him, because it was more or less his kitty. Even our Lab was attatched to him. It has been about 3 weeks since our loss, and we still miss him, but we are glad he is no longer suffering. Last week we desided that we are ready for a new kitty, and are presently looking for a healthy one. I ensure you that when it is his time, it will be God's choice, and it will be for the best. I wish the best for you and Ashton. And once again, I feel for you.

glasslass
October 12th, 2004, 09:24 PM
They take over your heart so quickly! Thanks for caring for him and making his life pleasant for as long as he has. He's truly lucky to have that!