Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Moving concerns

lilith_rizel
October 12th, 2004, 12:32 PM
My husband is in the Army, and he is getting restationed. We have to move from Maryland to Arizon, which is much hotter. My concerns are the long trip there, and the heat difference. Our dog Cano has never really been on any car rides, and he was always kept inside on hotter days. Is there anyway we can amy this trasition easy for him. The heat difference is going to be 20+ degrees hotter there. I guess it gets up to the 100's there. How can I make sure that Cano won't start getting hyper during the long drive to our new base? We can't have him in his crate on the way there, because we have a car, and by the time we move, we will have the baby. I have about 2 1/2 months until the move.

If anyone can provide suggestions or even stories of past experiences, it would be helpful thanks.

LavenderRott
October 12th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Have you considered trading in your car for an SUV? I drove from Northern Maine to Idaho with one child and two dogs one winter during an Air Force move. I drove my Pathfinder, my then-husband had the talkative child with him in his truck.

With a baby on the way, this might be something you want to talk about, finances permitting of course. Maybe a good used Mini Van. That way the dog isn't sitting on the baby! LOL!

Start taking the dog for car rides now. You or your husband could drive and the other could sit in the back seat, teaching the dog to lie down while you are moving.

The other thing to remember is to teach the dog that he/she doesn't get in or out of the car until YOU say so. A patient sit while you buckle in baby will be a godsend in the future. Then, when you get to your destination, you can attend to baby and put a leash on the dog while the dog sits patiently waiting for your command to get out of the car.

You can do this. I did it many years ago and as a new Army wife, will be doing it again very soon.

lilith_rizel
October 12th, 2004, 12:57 PM
My husband and I already discussed an SUV, but right now, we are still paying off our car loan, and can't afford it. We do however plan on trading it in as soon as the car is paid off, and before we have another child. We have decided to take Cano with us when we have to run to the gas station for something.

But how well can dogs adapt to heat?

LavenderRott
October 12th, 2004, 01:10 PM
My rough coated collie was born in Germany, lived in Northern Maine for 4 years (colder then Alaska in winter) and then went to Mountain Home, Idaho, on the edge of the desert (summers above 100) with no problems. Yes, she spent more of the hotter days inside, but she really didn't have many issues because of it. Since you are going in winter, the dog should adapt as the weather gets hotter in your new home. Just watch for signs that he has had enough when you are outside.

There are cooler packs you can get if you like to go camping or hiking. I am not sure what they are called, but I can find out for you.

LavenderRott
October 12th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Oh, and start taking the dog for a ride a day. Even if it is just around the block. Make car rides sooooooo much fun! Special treats and the whole nine yards.

lilith_rizel
October 12th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Thanks. I was just concerned that he wouldn't be able to handle the heat. I will tell my husband the info you gave me. We do love to go camping. I would appreciate if you could find out what those ice pack things are called. I would love to include Cano on camping trips. It is only fair isn't it? :)

Thanks again for your input.

LavenderRott
October 12th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Here is a link for the cool pack...
link (http://www.rayallen.com/ramCart/cartFrame.htm) They say this sight is a bit pricey but the quality is top of the line. At least it will give you an idea of what you are looking for and you can surf to see if you can find something cheaper.

lilith_rizel
October 12th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Thanks. I will check them out.

glasslass
October 12th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Is your car air-conditioned? You'll find that most houses in hot areas will be air-conditioned. It gets really hot here in Calif. Den-Den spends most of his time in-doors, but once in awhile he'll go outside and bask on the hot brick patio to warm up. :D Just, NEVER ever leave them in the car. The temperature can rise within minutes and cause brain damage and death.

lilith_rizel
October 12th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Yeah, the car is air-conditioned, thank fully. We know not to leave him in the car. And we plan on taking frequent breaks, every hour or so.

heidiho
October 12th, 2004, 05:34 PM
When i moved back to arizona from kentucky i went to the vet and got him sedatives,it was the smoothest 3 day road trip ever....He layed down the whole time.....

heidiho
October 12th, 2004, 05:35 PM
It is only in the 90's here now,you missed the real heat...

lilith_rizel
October 12th, 2004, 06:26 PM
Yeah my husband was there in the spring for Advanced Individual Training for his job, and I was unable to stay there because he wasn't permament party yet, he said it got past the 100's

heidiho
October 12th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Yeah it gets to 114 or so,but that heat is over with now,we have the best winters anywhere,not ot cold,it is pretty perfect here besides summer.But it is a dry heat :D

lilith_rizel
October 12th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Better than here. One day it is hotter than all get out, the next day it is freezing. I don't want to know what winter is like. But I am origionaly from Minnesota, so I guess it can't be any worse than it is there. LOL

heidiho
October 12th, 2004, 06:40 PM
You will love winter here,it only snows up north in the mountains,i cant describe how beautiful the weather is here in the winter,and the sunsets are incredible,what part of az are u moving to???I live in Phoenix

lilith_rizel
October 12th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Seirra Vista aka Fort Huachuca I don't know it it is spelled correctly. James (husband) says that it snowed once when he was there, and that the mountains are gorgeous.

heidiho
October 12th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Small town i think,it is south from here.....On the driving thing,i tell you my dog was an angel when i drove back here,one sedative every 8 hours he either slept or just layed there,it was so cute when i would stop to walk him he stumbledlike a drunk person.But he was a puppy and i knew i had to get something for that long of a drive with a puppy,so glad i did...

lilith_rizel
October 12th, 2004, 06:50 PM
I will check on the cost for it here. Everything is more expensive here. So if funding is available we will consider it. Thanks for the info

LavenderRott
October 12th, 2004, 09:22 PM
I wouldn't sedate my dog for that length of time without good reason. Motion sickness pills maybe, but not a sedative.

lilith_rizel
October 12th, 2004, 09:25 PM
We will see how he does with short rides before we do anything else. Any tips are welcome here. And thanks to all who put in thier inputs. :D

lilith_rizel
October 13th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Well, things got switched around since the yesterday. James goes to Arizona for 4 months to prepare for Korea, right after. He leaves the beginning of Jamuary, not even a week after our daughter Judith is supposed to be born. He will end up missing the first 16 months of her life. :( We still do, how ever, have to move. I can't go with him to AZ or Korea, so I am moving back to my home town in Minnesota, so I will have help with the baby. Luckily, it is a shorter drive. LR, I do thank you for the info on those cool packs. It may be handy in the future. And Heidiho, enjoy the warmer winter for me k. I'll be freezing my but off in -20 weather! LOL. But I guess I am alright moving back home. I grew up in that town, and moving, after I lived there for 20 years, I really miss the place, even though the biggest thing we had there was a wal-mart. It was an extremely small town. only 3000 people.

Hope you all have a nice halloween ( for those who partake, ) and sorry in advance if the holiday offends one's religion. I know it does to a few people.

heidiho
October 13th, 2004, 10:59 AM
My vet said he would be fine with one sedative every 8 hours,so i did so,and it was a smooth ride,just my opinion.....