Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Possible Cyst on Tail

Mumbly
July 19th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Just call me an over worried dad. I was out walking Penny (our 9 year old Shiba Inu mix that we adopted Turkey Day of last year) and i noticed a hairless spot on her tail. well i got home grab my trusty flashlight, got her to sit still and this is what i found. any ideas? probably should add i very lightly touched it, and she isnt any more sensitive to it, then normal when people grab her tail

hazelrunpack
July 19th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Is this on the dorsal (top) side of the tail? There is a gland on the top side of the tail that can cause a bald spot--our first labby had one. It's fairly common and usually not a problem, but the swelling in the pic isn't normal. Maybe the gland got 'plugged' or infected somehow? A vet could tell you for certain whether that's all it is.

Welcome to the board, btw, Mumbly! :D

Mumbly
July 19th, 2012, 07:16 PM
The SO took Penny in tonight and tr vet thinks its a blood vessel tumor, so they are going to go remove it next week and biopsy.

hazelrunpack
July 19th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Praying that the word "benign" comes up in the path report, Mumbly. :goodvibes:

Mumbly
July 20th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Trust me, we are too, she has only been with us 8 months but she is one of the family. My buddy hit it right on the head when he said "Matt you found the perfect dog for you, she just shows up, relaxes and makes herself at home"

MaxaLisa
July 22nd, 2012, 03:26 AM
Gosh I hope it's benign too!!

hazelrunpack
July 22nd, 2012, 10:24 AM
When is she having her surgery done, Mumbly?