Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

FIP & Rapid Respiration

Teeko
July 18th, 2012, 10:22 PM
I am fostering a cat that was diagnosed with FIP last week She is on meds for a UTI. She is also on meds (buprenorphine) for pain but not sure if that is for the UTI or the FIP.

She has a fairly consistent respiration rate of 80 breaths per minute and a body score of 1.5 out of 5. She is a very sick thin girl who only weighs 4.5 pounds. A week ago the vet advised that it was too soon to put her down as she still had some quality of life left because she still wanted to eat.

How do I know if she is still suffering? How will I know when it is time to let her go? This is very painful to watch especially because I know she was once someone's pet and maybe they are missing her right now. She is the sweetest cat you could imagine.

sugarcatmom
July 18th, 2012, 10:50 PM
I am fostering a cat that was diagnosed with FIP last week

Oh no, I'm really sorry to hear that. How old is she? How was the FIP diagnosed?

She is on meds for a UTI.

What meds?

How do I know if she is still suffering? How will I know when it is time to let her go?

Such a tough position to be in for sure. Perhaps this quality of life scale can give you some insight into what might be best for this little girl: http://www.veterinarypracticenews.com/vet-practice-news-columns/oncology-outlook/quality-of-life-for-pets.aspx

All the best to both of you.