Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lovebird Eggs

MEEKA
October 12th, 2004, 12:27 PM
I HAVE A PAIR OF LOVEBIRDS AND THE FEMALE HAS LAID 3 EGGS, DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW LONG UNTIL THEY HATCH? SHE HAS MADE A NEST AT THE BOTTOM OF THE CAGE AND THE MALE GOES DOWN EVERY NOW AND THEN AND REGURGITATES HIS FOOD AND FEEDS HER. WHEN THE BABIES ARE BORN DO THE BIRDS TAKE CARE OF EVERYTHING? OR DO I HAVE TO HELP OUT IN SOME WAY? :confused:

LavenderRott
October 12th, 2004, 01:21 PM
They may not hatch. I worked in a pet store for a while and I was in charge of the breeding birds. I can promise you there is nothing nastier on the face of the earth then a nesting pair of love birds.

You need to get the female off the eggs and candle the eggs. Hold the egg gently with your first finger and your thumb and shine a bright light through the egg. If you can't see a thick mass and red veins, then the egg is sterile.

If these are live eggs, then you will need to take the young chicks away from mom when they are about a week old and hand feed them if you plan on finding them homes where they will be handled. They need to be fed every two hours and kept warm. I am sure that you can find a book on raising baby birds. My job was cleaning cages and feeding until the babies were old enough to be hand raised and then the boss took over.

Bear in mind, that out of 50 cages of nesting birds, I think I say 4 babies in the six months I worked there.

Lucky Rescue
October 12th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Here is a little guide for Breeding Lovebirds (http://www.parrotparrot.com/lovebirds/breeding.htm)

Sandi is right. Babies must be hand fed, as parent raised lovebirds are NOT very nice pets.

MEEKA
October 12th, 2004, 04:05 PM
HOW SOON AFTER SHE LAYS THE EGG CAN I REMOVE IT, TO SEE IF THERE IS A THICK MASS OR RED VEINS? AND WILL SHE GET MAD AND BREAK THE EGG FOR ME REMOVING IT? :confused:

Lucky Rescue
October 12th, 2004, 04:11 PM
This may sound silly, but are you SURE you have a male and a female? If so, how do you know? Have you had both of them sexed?

Here are instructions on candling eggs.
HERE (http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Bluffs/1958/eggs.html)

LavenderRott
October 12th, 2004, 04:22 PM
They are both going to get REAL mad!!! LOL!

They won't break the egg, but you had better think about some gloves!

MEEKA
October 12th, 2004, 04:45 PM
I Have Not Had Them Sexed, And I Understand It's Hard To Tell Male From Female Unless You Have Dna Done, But I'm Assuming Their Male And Female. They Haven't Stop Doing The "dirty" Since She Started Building Her Nest. From What I See The Female Sits On Her Eggs 24/7 Unless She Goes To Eat Or Drink, And The One That I Think Is The Male Kinda Just Checks On Her Every Now And Then, And Regurgitates His Food And Feeds Her.