Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

application question again...sorry

raingirl
October 12th, 2004, 10:47 AM
I am completing yet another rescue application and have this question.

If no one will be home and you work full-time, please explain on how you will deal with this dilemma.

I'm a little confused. Any ideas?

LL1
October 12th, 2004, 10:59 AM
They mean what will you do when the dog has to be left all day. Just answer it honestly.

mastifflover
October 12th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Raingirl did you see the dane I sent you

raingirl
October 12th, 2004, 12:13 PM
yeah. They already re-homed her. I think they need to remove their post from the classifieds.

Goldenmom
October 12th, 2004, 12:19 PM
I am completing yet another rescue application and have this question.

If no one will be home and you work full-time, please explain on how you will deal with this dilemma.

I'm a little confused. Any ideas?

They are asking if you have a baby gate, crate etc.... THey want to be sure the dog isn't tied outside while you are gone or put in a garage.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

raingirl
October 12th, 2004, 01:58 PM
hahah...thanks. I guess that makes a little more sense.

It's for another Dane rescue. I've completed a couple of these so far, but that one baffled me.

I live in an apartment, so...I will be keeping it in the apartment!!

Delirium
October 12th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Also, if it needs walked while you're gone, how are you going to arrange that? Come home, neighbour, hire a service?

If it barks while you're gone so much so that it is disturbing the neighbours, how will you deal with it? Training, crating, pet sitting etc. etc.

Just run through some of the scenarios that can happen when your dog is alone for 8+ hours a day or whatever. Then explain how you're going to deal with it. They're just making sure that the dog will have someone to let him out for the bathroom and that you won't dump him at a shelter the second he barks while you're gone.

Atleast I think.....

Dee

raingirl
October 12th, 2004, 10:08 PM
I definately wouldn't dump a dog because of barking. There are ways to correct that.

The one issue I think people aren't getting back to us on our applications is because we can't come home during the day to let the dog out, and we can't find anyone else to do it (there are no bonded insured pet walkers in our city..I've looked extensively).

What I don't understand is out of all the people I know who have dogs, ALL of them leave them alone all day...10+ hours...with no pee brake...

Delirium
October 13th, 2004, 08:06 AM
Yep, i'm one of them, with the exception of special days when they need additional supervision. Of course my dogs are adults and have proven themselves to be fine with that scenario.

Have you tried pounds? They likely won't object as much to your arrangement as a rescue would, as long as you meet the rest of their requirements. In alot of cases, those dogs just need to get out of there asap so they'll overlook what could be a nonissue anyway.

Dee

sammiec
October 13th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Have you tried pounds? They likely won't object as much to your arrangement as a rescue would, as long as you meet the rest of their requirements. In alot of cases, those dogs just need to get out of there asap so they'll overlook what could be a nonissue anyway.

I agree with Dee. I would check a shelter. These dogs badly need homes and there are so many sitting there waiting.
I adpoted from a local shleter and they are usually very good about apartments - they need to know that the manager of the building allows dogs - they might request a letter if they are unfamiliar with the complex.
They have a very standard adoption applicication to fill out that take mintues, with straight forward questions. I would give it a chance. :)

raingirl
October 13th, 2004, 08:36 AM
I've tried the local shelter. They only had three dogs, none of which they recommended to be home alone during the day.

We don't have a car so travelling to other cities to look is hard. As it is, we had to borrow a car to see the shelter in our own city as no bus goes there. They had 2 pitbulls, both were considered agressive, and an irish wolfhound who has serious separation anxiety.

Delirium
October 13th, 2004, 10:16 AM
No problem, i'm sure one will come up at some point. Just keep your eye out or ask to be put on a call list if something suiting your situation comes in. Give it about 6 months maybe? That's pretty reasonable and i'm sure you'll find something in that time.

Dee