Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Crate Howling and crying-What to do

Mysts38
October 12th, 2004, 08:02 AM
Hi all

We had a hard night last night..hannah cried and whined and howled in her crate at 1am for about 10 mins and again longer at 5am....The breeder suggested that I dont get her out in the middle of the night to do duties..as this will set up the habit...she has her last duty at 11pm....

Do I go to her and try and quiet her down or just leave her? should I take her out for duties in the middle of the night..I dont want to reinforce that just because she makes a fuss,she will get attention.

Is she too little to be crated?

She didnt seem worst for the wear this morning..I got up at 6:30,took her outside for a pee and gave her breakfast..then back out for a poop,both of which she did easily...she had some play time and is now sleeping at my feet.

She smothered my face with kisses this morning when I took her out of the crate,but her crate was dry!

Thanks for your help!

Karsalis
October 12th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Hi

so far we wake up whenever little Jet cries and let him out to potty. When we let hm back in his crate he will cry for about 5-10 minutes cause he wants to play. We just ignore his cries and he stops cause he knows we wont come back to let him out. So far this works.

I dont think not letting him out is a good idea. they are so young and forcing them to hold their pee throughout the night is hard.

One thing we learned to never do is tend to him when he cries and let him out, cause then he will know that when he cries he can get what he wants and be allowed out.

Goldenmom
October 12th, 2004, 01:14 PM
This is a wee baby you are talking about. You should be up 2-3 times/night at this point. I always slept beside the crate so they knew I was there and when they wanted out, I took them out, let them go, praise, praise, praise, then very quietly without getting them excited etc.... put them back in the crate and shut the door. A blanket around the crate will make them feel secure and denlike. A clock ticking will also help.

I cannot imagine a breeder telling you not to get up during the night. As the saying goes "this to shall pass" Can you imagine how bad the pup would feel if it cried to go out and then couldn't help but pee or whatever in its bed. I wouldn't feel very good at all knowing I could have prevented this.

All pups do this and its a fact of raising a pup. Sleepless nights for the first couple months.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

GsdDiamond
October 12th, 2004, 01:19 PM
What the others say is true. Bringing home a new puppy is like a baby. You're up every couple of hours. Many's a day I came to work with bags under my eyes. :eek:

The breeder gave you bad advice. Such a little pup cannot hold it very long. Forcing them to do so can cause bladder infections and many other bladder related problems later on.

Mysts38
October 12th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the input..like a first time mom on this issue I went against my own maternal instincts and listened to what I thought was someone in authority..Instinct tells me SHE needs to go pee,and so I will now go and get her out at regular intervals to take her out

Goldenmom
October 12th, 2004, 01:31 PM
If I was honest, I would tell you I enjoyed these late night encounters. We laugh about them now.... Picture me out in the middle of a snow storm, in my flannel pjs, winter coat, hood up, bare feet in boots, saying "get going, hurry up, get going, good girl, hurry up, get going" Trying to whisper, but not working too well ;)

The really big thing to remember is to "carry" the pup out the door. When they cry, they gotta go NOW. Pick them up, take them to the same spot each time, tell them to get going, then pick them back up and put back in crate. No treats at night, as this may make them have to "go" Just a kiss and a hug and back snuggled in the crate.

Because our last girl didn't like it in the crate, I moved the crate and myself to the family room couch. I slept on the couch with the crate beside me so the little gaffer could see me. We both slept better, as did the rest of the house.

Good luck!
Heather

Terrie
October 12th, 2004, 01:56 PM
OMG I remember when I brought Kuma home, he didn't know if he was coming or going... every time he stood up, it was " Do you wanna go pee?" also I put him in his crate with a ticking alarm clock, it seemed to work for him, he slept a little longer, the ticking sounded like the heart beat of his mom..
I agree with Goldenmom... don't let the dog walk out of the cage to the door because Oh .. Oh .... it's puddle time... carry him outside and let him follow you to his spot.
It's so much fun being a new Parent...

TalonsMa
October 12th, 2004, 03:35 PM
LOl...it's true, when they have to go it's NOW! My husband learned this very quickly (not as fast me tho) he went to get her one morning, while I got her breakfast rdy. He carried her to the door, and then put her down so he could open the door, just as I told him "Oh..don't put her down, she'll pee!" sure enough, a puddle was on the floor, ha ha ha. Another time he picked her up and must have sqeezed a little too tight as he tickled on his arm :D

sue fox
October 12th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Ha!! That is sooooo true. I did the same thing telling the boys not to just let him out of the crate they would have to carry him out as he would probably pee right away. Trial and error around here. Our house joke right now is "How many Fox males does it take to care for a pup?" See I'm the only female in the house :D :D Gotta love them!!
Sue

glasslass
October 12th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Guilty! You'll all think I'm terrible, but the first night I brought Den-Den home, he flopped across my neck and slept there all night. :eek: Whenever he got restless, I took him out. But he sleeps with us on the bed. Never had so much as a whimper. That's possible with small dogs. I realize it's a no-no with larger furbabies! He's spoiled rotten, but only in the way we want him! Corky, too, sleeps with his head on my mom's shoulder.

GunnerX
October 12th, 2004, 10:30 PM
Ahhh.. the crying. Been there, done that. :D This was my wife's first pet and boy was she ever stressed. Ariel would cry all night and my wife couldn't take it so she barely got any sleep. However, this only lasted 7 days. Exactly 7 days!! On the 8th day, we didn't hear a peep out of her. When the wife and I woke up, we looked at each other thinking that we were too tired and didn't hear Ariel at all. But from then on, she didn't make any noise.

However, during those 7 days, someone would go down and comfort her and she would fall asleep for an hour or so and then wake up again. One night, I couldn't get her to quiet down so I put her on my lap and I sat down on the couch. Well, moments later I fell asleep. I woke up in the morning with her still curled up on my lap. Those were the days, and it was only 4 months ago! We're thinking of getting another puppy to accompany Ariel but the wife keeps thinking about those 7 days. lol! I keep telling her it should be fine since she'll be sleeping with Ariel.

Mysts38
October 13th, 2004, 06:55 AM
Hi

The smartest thing we have done is move her crate into our room..ok so it takes 1/4 of the room up,,but shes closer to us,no more seperation anxiety,and Iam able to take her out for duties

She went out twice during the night..at 1am..again at 3am and then this morning at 6:30..each time I carried her out..told her "duties" praised her,kissed and cuddled her and put her back in the crate..she whined maybe 1-2 mins TOPS and then settled back down...

During the day she doesnt whine at all in the crate..I will keep her in my bedroom as long as she needs it We are tired..but at least I know my pup was taken care of :)

Goldenmom
October 13th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Hi

The smartest thing we have done is move her crate into our room..ok so it takes 1/4 of the room up,,but shes closer to us,no more seperation anxiety,and Iam able to take her out for duties

She went out twice during the night..at 1am..again at 3am and then this morning at 6:30..each time I carried her out..told her "duties" praised her,kissed and cuddled her and put her back in the crate..she whined maybe 1-2 mins TOPS and then settled back down...

During the day she doesnt whine at all in the crate..I will keep her in my bedroom as long as she needs it We are tired..but at least I know my pup was taken care of :)

Great! Glad to hear this Lisa. I knew it would work out. It hasn't failed me for 3 pups now!

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

TalonsMa
October 13th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Your lucky Lisa!! When we moved her crate into our room, she was even worse!! LOL
Glad it's working for you :)

wAggie
October 14th, 2004, 01:30 AM
I got Chocolate from the SPCA at 10 wks.

I managed to have him in the crate for 4 consecutive nights. on the 5th night, I couldn't take it any more. I opened the crate and let him sleep with me :D my mom didn't find out for a while. :p

now he sleeps whereever he/I want.

Mysts38
October 14th, 2004, 07:37 AM
She only got up once to go duties..settled down after with not even one whimper..got up at 6:30 did duties..ate breakfast,did duties..and shes zonked now from playing

Shes a great pup!

sue fox
October 14th, 2004, 09:03 PM
WAGGIE I did the same with Scottie. He was fine in the crate and was sleeping through no accidents either , on the 5th night we put him in our bed and has been sleeping with us ever since. :D :love: We only crate him now when we are not home.
Glad Hannah had a great night!!
Sue

wAggie
October 14th, 2004, 10:47 PM
hehehe

dogs! I tell you... or maybe PEOPLE... I tell ya... lmao :love: