Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

question?

jackieb
October 12th, 2004, 07:09 AM
wondere if any can help me but we have lived in Canada for 7 weeks now next year in the spring we ar planning on buying a house we have looked to see what we can get for our money but cant figure out property tax.

Does it go on the value size and location as we have a simular tax in england and you pay tax according to the value of the property. As ive looked at different areas only slightly and it varies alot.

Iggette
October 12th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Yes it does vary by the location and size and value of your house.

I used to have a property in toronto with a small ( a 1/4 of an acre if that)backyard that was close to everything scarborough towncentre, busses, train....etc. the value of the house was 185,000.... taxes were 2700 dollars a year

Now my girlfriend has a place here in the country, not close to many ammenities, 6 acres, and a house valued at 385,000 and her taxes are only 3200 per year :confused:

So as you see the further from the city you go the cheaper things become but not always as a rule

But I have found that 250,000 dollars will buy more in the country than the city....IMHO :rolleyes:

SSAC
October 13th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Just a tip, the wider the lot, the higher the taxes. For some reason, Long narrow lots are less in P.tax than wide ones :confused:

Go figure :rolleyes: (that's what our real estate agent told us anyways)

Cinnabear
October 14th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Ours is based on the assessed value of our home. It depends where you buy your home. Cities are higher in taxes than in the country. You can call city hall to see what is the rate for taxes.

schnauzerlove
October 14th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Property taxes in Ontario are based on the assessed value. You can obtain this info from the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC). The Tax Department for the municipality may give you the information as well, although some are now taking the position of "no verbal info"...but it's worth a try.

Where are you looking? :D

jackieb
October 14th, 2004, 02:01 PM
I am thinking or around Innisfill maybe Allison somewere near the 400 my hubby works in Toronto want to do my reasearch to work out how much we can then borrow. In England we had a council tax which was accesed ont the value of your house then depending on what area you lived what council it was depended on how much it cost it could vary alot.