Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rapid Respiration & weight loss

Teeko
July 9th, 2012, 09:20 PM
I am fostering a cat that was treated for a urinary tract infection. She was skin and bones when I got her - only 4.5 pounds. Her fur is very greasy. I noticed at times her respiration is fast so I timed it - 80 breaths/minute. I understand cats should be 20-30. I called the vet and was told that the cat has asthma.

The cat does not appear in distress so I wonder if it is really asthma. My feelinng is that she has an underlying condition. I am going to ask to get a second opinion. Does anyone have any other ideas of what it could be. Kidney disease, diabetes, cancer?

The cat will eat in very small amounts - maybe 4 teaspoons 4 times per day. Sometimes it takes her a while to eat the whole teaspoonful. All she does is sleep but she will get up at times. She loves to be petted and combed.

hazelrunpack
July 9th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I'm no expert on kitties, Teeko, but Google hyperthyroidism in cats. The symptoms seem to match.

I hope you get some answers with the second opinion and thank you for caring enough about the little darling to get a second opinion in the first place!

sugarcatmom
July 10th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Any idea how old the kitty is?

I would definitely take her in for a second opinion to another vet. How did the first vet diagnose asthma, and what exactly was his plan for treating it? :rolleyes:

Fast breathing can be a sign of pain, amongst other things (for instance, if it's extremely hot where you are, she could be trying to cool down).