Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

how much excersise do i give a puppy

melanie
October 11th, 2004, 09:47 PM
me again :D . this weekend i get a puppy for two weeks, he is mums 7mth shizu X and he has long hair.
now i will need to excersise him but i have no idea how far to go. i walk my GSD about 6km a day in the early cool morning. she has always excersised a lot, no less than 20km a week at least, and that is for her whole life, so you cna see why i have no idea. but she is happy to accomodate max into our routine for the weeks he is here, so we dont necesarily have to do so much excersise, a puppy will wear her out well (yay me gets to play puppy mum for a while, so much fun) :D .

now maxi is my mums dog, she has a form of lung cancer and cannot walk very far. so she excersises him with his tennis ball nad lots of toys and play, so they have no idea either.

i was thinking is say 2km to much? obviously i will be watching his signs to see how he is going, and will turn back if he does not want to go far and will make sure we do it in the cool.

now you little dog ppl, how much excersise do you give your babies, i notice alot of the old ladies at the park only do one lap with their babies but that may be an age thing..

any ideas or should i just let him decide what he wants to do?

shihtzulover
October 12th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Hi,
We usually walk Sophie everyday for about 20 mins, after that she is wore out. If we go any longer she will stand up on our legs wanting to be picked up. When its raining out we play fetch or hide and go seek in the house, and after about an hour shes ready to cuddle.

GsdDiamond
October 12th, 2004, 10:19 AM
I would say to walk her as long as she seems to be breathing without difficulty.

Since she has lung cancer I wouldn't push it too much. Just be ready to pick her up when she gets too tired.

melanie
October 12th, 2004, 05:35 PM
lol, sorry GSD, that is too funny, mum is the one with the cancer not little maxie. i will follow your advice and see what he wnats to do.

we actually got him to keep mum company as she is often house bound due to illness and gets lonely, he has been a wonderful companion for her and it has really lifted her spirits and she spends all day in the garden with him now, its good for them both..

well thank you so much, i am really looking foreward to having him, we never get puppies around here so we are really excited. and he loves my 8yo GSD girl and they are good little mates, os we will have heaps of fun.

thanks again

lilith_rizel
October 12th, 2004, 08:33 PM
I was thinking the same thing and GSD, Mel. LOL. Thanks for clearing up! I would just watch the signs when excersising.

glasslass
October 12th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Actually, small dogs are able to get lots of exercise in the house. Den-Den and Corky chase each other all over at full speed and get much more than I can give them outside. They love the outdoor walk too, but don't really exercise as much. They just love to see everything and everybody! I find it's walk, stop to talk, walk, stop to sniff, walk, stop to see kitty, walk, stop to get petted, you get the idea!

lilith_rizel
October 12th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Yep, that's how it is. Our 8 almost 9 month old puppy still does it. He mostly stops only if he sees children. He loves to sit and watch them. Today, he sat by the screen door for 2 hours, watching a little girl and boy, play on the side walk infront of our home. He didn't bark or anything, just watched.

glasslass
October 12th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Kind of like a little boy and girl sitting watching a puppy - and wanting one of their own!!!! :D

GsdDiamond
October 13th, 2004, 12:23 PM
:D :D LOL Even though my misreading is funny, I'm sorry to hear about your mom :(

melanie
October 13th, 2004, 05:48 PM
thanks guys. i get him in 2 days and cant wait, i have never had a little dog around and it has been a very long time since i had a pup either so charlie and i are both excited. we will have him for 2 weeks, oh yay.

glassy, your right, that is how mum mainly excersises him, and he plays with other dogs which works well too.

i didnt mean to laugh GSD, but i had visions of me walking mum down the street on a lead, :D :D . mum has been sick since the day she was born, she was born with a nasty disease that eats your lungs and eventually turns to cancer. but my mum is a real little bugger, she is a real little goer and would never give up (they even said she couldnt have kids, well three kids later :D ).., she is actually classed as a medical phenominum and they are going to be putting her in the medical books which is pretty cool, no one has lived this long with her condition, and that makes me pretty proud of her, thats my freaky mum :D :D :p

and max has been brilliant for her, the power of pets is amazing, they absolutly adore each other and he gives mum something positive to focus on, she has had a bit of trouble with his training, she has had dogs beofre and they all have been well trained, but she hasnt that level of energy anymore and has had a bit of trouble.

so i am helping them out with his training, it is mainly recall that is the problem but i will fix that asap and all will be fine. we have also been traing him with my older dog charlie and that works well, he seems to follow what she does..

so max is pretty special to us here, and he is just so cute, i cant wiat to have a a little baby to play with. it will be a bit weird but fun, and if i have any dramas i have you guys to help :D

again a big thank you every one, i will follow your advice and we will have a wonderful time together im sure :D