Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Parvo virus

Minettejo
October 11th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Hi

Just wanted to know if any one could help me. We recently lost our lab of 12 yrs to Kidney disease, and my husband (bless him) brought a new puppy home for me last Tuesday. He got a ****apoo from a pet store (I know he shouldn't have but he didn't know problems pet store pups can have). He is 9 weeks old

The puppy was diagnosed with Parvo virus this morning and is in the animal hospital. We won't know for a few days if he will make it or not. It was caught relatively early and he is receiving top notch treatment so we have high hopes.

What I was wondering is if anyone knows what the pet stores liability is for this situation. We have already paid $1200 for treatment, and it will probably be another 1000 before it is done. The store's guarantee is pretty vague. There is also another puppy from the same store, that was purchased this week at the hospital with Parvo.

Thanks, and if anyone can spare a prayer or some positive energy for my pup, his name is Meuslix.

glasslass
October 11th, 2004, 08:47 PM
I have no experience with Parvo, but I know others on this forum have. I do know that you'll want to clean your home and yard thoroughly as the virus can stay active a very long time. Get information about this from your vet. Poor little Mueslix! Have you contacted the pet store yet. What does their sales contract say? I'll be praying for him! And {{{HUGS}}} for you too. This is sooo sad, expecially following the loss of your older furbaby. Please keep us updated on his progress.

Minettejo
October 11th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Thanks for your kind words.

I have already disinfected my house and tossed away his toys that can't be disinfected. Pet store isn't open until tomorrow. We plan to go there straight after the vets in the morning. I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with a similar situation. Forewarned is forearmed. My hubby just told me that they had a dog in quarantine when he bought Meuslix. They should not have sold any dog until they were all vet-checked. I love my husband but sometimes he's a bit naive with people. I would never have bought a dog from anywhere if there was a sick dog in the vicinity. But I am totally in love with my pup now, and I won't return him, especially to those kind of irresponsible people.

badger
October 11th, 2004, 09:41 PM
This is a very sad story. The one beautiful thing is that you and your husband are committed to taking care of this puppy, who in another person's hands might have died from lack of treatment.
As for the rest of it, it makes me want to howl like a wolf and sting like a scorpion.

Minettejo
October 11th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Thanks all for your support, It means alot to me.

Just talked to the vet. His temperature is normal and the vomitting and diarhea have stopped. The vet said this is a good sign, and step one in recovery. But he is a long way from being out of the woods.

Re the pet store. We are going in tomorrow and depending on how it goes I will decide my course of action. Just wondering if I should call the humane society and let them know about the parvo at that store. There were 3 or 4 other puppies there, and if Meuslix got Parvo they probably did too. And apparently Parvo virus can survive up to 9 months. If that is the case, this store should not be selling dogs for that period.

I don't like to believe the people at the store are intentionally selling sick dogs, but if they can't be responsible they shouldn't be allowed to have them, regardless of their intentions.

I will keep everyone posted on Meuslix's condition. Thanks again for all your support

Bugsy
October 12th, 2004, 12:07 AM
Bugsy got Parvo as a pup at.....the vet's :eek: when he went in to get neutered.

Be very careful...after you bring him home. If he poos outside and another dog/pup walks over it...that dog/pup may get Parvo. It will still be active in his stools for (vets info) 3 weeks-1 month. Parvo virus can stay active on the ground for over 6 months.

May the angels watch over your pup / my prayers are with you.

PS keep us posted...

heeler's rock!
October 12th, 2004, 12:24 AM
I feel for you. My hubby's family has a mal that got parvo a few days before his parvo vaccine! They spent a lot of money to get him treated and he made it through, but that's because they caught it early. The vet said they caught it early in your little guy, so I have faith that he'll be okay. My prayers are with you....... :o

LavenderRott
October 12th, 2004, 12:36 AM
Most likely, there will be nothing you can do as far as the pet store is concerned. I am sure that the puppymill the puppy came from had a health certificate from their "vet". It will be darn hard to prove that the pup had parvo before he walked out of the pet store.

Minettejo
October 12th, 2004, 12:56 AM
I actually think proving the pup got parvo at the store might be fairly easy. Parvo doesn't start to show symptoms until 7-10 days after infection. We have only had Meuslix for 6 days. That, and the fact that another pup (different breed) from that store is in the hospital for Parvo might help my case. We are hoping to get in contact with the family that owns that puppy. We are leaving our name and number with the vet to give to them if they want to contact us and present a united front to the pet store. Strength in numbers and all that.

Its not the proving I'm actually worried about, not even so much about the money. Now I just want to make sure no other dogs get sick from being in that store.

The store also gave us the name and address of the breeder when my hubby bought the pup. Should I contact him/her? I'd like to know if it is a puppy mill or not.

Latest update from the vet. No change (for either better or worse) and they are starting him on the second plasma transfusion. My poor pup.

Bugsy
October 12th, 2004, 01:01 AM
I can only think of one word...quarantine. I can't see how the petstore can continue to stay open. I think this will have a very sad ending. How can they afford to treat all the pups there? :(

Minettejo
October 12th, 2004, 01:54 AM
Bugsy - how long was your pup at the vet for, and how long was his total recovery, and has he any lasting effects.

Heeler - thanks for your prayers, they are appreciated. I hope and pray he makes it too. It is comforting to know that other dogs make it okay. The vet told me that the biggest threat for pups with parvo is the cost. So many people cant (or wont) pay for treatment. We honestly can't, but are willing to go in debt to make him better.

Bugsy
October 12th, 2004, 02:19 AM
Bugsy came to me from someone who couldn't keep him (moved). Both Bugsy
& his brother went in to the vet's at the same time to be neutered. Both got
Parvo. I got Bugsy 3 weeks after he came out of the vets/hospital. Bugsy's brother was there for 4 days and Bugsy for 5. As far as recovery at home...
I'm not aware of to much. They only said "they were fine" which I take to mean everything was back to normal.

No, no lasting effects... :D

How long has your pup been at the vet's? :(

Minettejo
October 12th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Hi all

Just got back from the vet and pet store.

Update on Meuslix is he is a little bit better, more alert but still a very sick puppy and not out of the woods yet, so still praying for his recovery. Pup has been hospitalized for two days now, and he has been on antibiotics for 4 (we had taken him to the vet on Saturday because he had been vomitting - so he had two extra days on the drugs)

Things went well at the pet store. We talked to the owner, she is going to pick up most if not all of the vet bill, and is having the puppies she has at the store vet checked immediately and they will not be sold until they have a clean bill of health. She is also going to call anyone who has bought a puppy in the last month and let them know about the Parvo. (perhaps we did buy from a reputable store?) She seemed genuinely shocked and distressed at the news. She was actually shaking, and was on the phone to the breeder who sold her Meuslix as we were leaving. I will check up on as much of this as I can.

Don't know what happenned to the other puppy with Parvo (that came from the same pet store) that was in the hospital, but we asked the vet to give them our name and number if they wish to contact us.

Minettejo
October 12th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Update on Meuslix

There is no change in his listlessness, but there is no blood in his stool, and because of this the vet is optimistic about his recovery.

Bugsy
October 12th, 2004, 06:26 PM
That is amazing news about the petstore picking up the tab. I'm sure this has taken some weight off your shoulders/and placed it back onto theirs (as it should be) ;)

I'm very happy to here Meuslix is picking up. I'll keep my fingers (toes too)
crossed. :D

mastifflover
October 12th, 2004, 06:30 PM
I hope your puppy improves and I am glad to hear that you are dealing with someone who actually apprears to care. I will be praying your baby gets better quickly.

Beautygirl
October 12th, 2004, 07:09 PM
How sad! I hope Meuslix makes a full recovery. It is great news that the vet will pick up some or all of the tab. It seems that the owner is quite concerned. Do be sure to check in with the pet store to see that they are not selling any more pets and doing all that they said they would. Sometimes they are very good actors and will not follow through, hopefully yours will. My cousin bought a chocolate lab and it died from parvo. Another dog in the litter had it too. I think that they are going to give them another dog to replace it and hopefully this one will not have the virus. Someone did mention about the parvo virus staying in the ground for 6 months, because of this you must be very careful. A mixture of bleach & water sprayed anywhere the dog goes would be a great idea (and probably a grass killer)... Big hugs to you and your furry friend.

Minettejo
October 12th, 2004, 07:46 PM
Bugsy - I know, can you believe that pet store is actually helping. And your right it's nice the burden of the money is lifted. We have already paid $1800 and with at least another 3 days at the vet, probably looking at about a 2500 bill. We would have gone the whole 9 yards for Meuslix, but it is alot of money. Especially as we just bought a new house. I asked the vet what happens if people can't afford to pay. The answer was very distressing. The pups get put down. I couldn't imagine having to do that.

Mastiff - thanks for your prayers, I believe they help

Beauty - thanks for all your kind words, and believe me I know about the bleach, my house is cleaner than a hospital now. I also can't have any play dates with Meuslix for about 2 months after he comes home, you are right about the virus living a long time. It is also very contagious. Also my hubby and I won't pet other pups until it is safe to do so. The last thing I want is to infect another poor little dog. I actually told the pet store to disinfect the floor and the counter after we left (we didn't go anywhere near their puppies), and they had the mop and bucket going as we were pulling out. I will continue to check up on them. I might get my mom to go in and ask about purchasing a pup, see what response she gets.

Bugsy
October 12th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Some good news....

I'm pretty sure that my Vet said once a pup survives Parvo..he is immune for life (like chickenpox). Also, vaccinated dogs & adult dogs... will only get a mild case of ther runs at worst.

glasslass
October 12th, 2004, 08:08 PM
That is such good news about the pet store taking care of the vet bill! I hope for the best for your little guy and bless you for loving him and being there for him! He is soooo lucky! :o

lilith_rizel
October 12th, 2004, 08:20 PM
when you disinfected the house, what did you do. I heard that you are supposed to bleach everything possible.

And what are the signs of Parvo.

Minettejo
October 12th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Bugsy - you must be a vet, because that is exactly what the vet said. Once he has recovered, he can never get it again. The biggest worry when he comes home is him infecting other dogs

Glass - thanks for your well wishes, both Meuslix and I appreciate them.

Lilith - you disinfect with bleach at 1:30 with water. I did about 1:15 though.

About signs of Parvo. I don't know for all dogs but this is what Meuslix had.

Friday night - vomitted once
Saturday - he was a little depressed, but still playing and threw up his breakfast, we took him to the vet, who thought he might have a parasite and started him on antibiotics
Sunday - seemed fine, no vomitting, but not quite as energetic as a puppy should be, we thought he might just be fighting off the parasite
Monday - had diarrhea, and couldn't keep his food or water down, very listless. We took him to the vets immediately. While waiting for our turn, he had very bloody stool (almost pure blood - which is a pretty sure sign of Parvo) At the vet they gave him by IV ampicillin and glucose. They did a CBC test which showed his white blood cell count to be extremely low (another sign of Parvo), and gave him a plasma transfusion.
Today - still very listless, but no vomitting and no blood in his stool

The worst part right now is that the vet doesn't think we should visit now, because he gets a bit excited and it is really bad for him (makes him vomit, etc). They said they won't stop us but it isn't the best thing for the pup) So I'm going to sit tight and trust them I guess. He is at a very reputable clinic.

lilith_rizel
October 12th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Thanks, I was just asking because were we live, there are some, actually quite a few people who just let their dogs run loose, and it is a highly residential area, :mad: :mad: and I just want to know what to look for just incase he would end up getting it. One of my worst fears is that. Thank you so much for the info. I know what to keep an eye out for now.

Minettejo
October 13th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Just to let you know. We lost Meuslix this morning, he was just too little to fight anymore, went into cardiac arrest and died. He also had a congenital problem where his bone marrow couldn't produce enough white blood cells. So his time on earth would have been limited anyway. The vet was with him at the very end so I take comfort that he didn't die alone. He was with us only a short time but he touched so many people. Both the vet and the receptionist cried with us this morning.

The pet store has fully reimbursed us for the vet expenses, and we spoke to the breeder that supplied the pet store, and he is offered to either reimburse us for the pup, or we can go to his place and have the pick of the next litter. Apparently he only sells his dogs to responsible owners and two pet stores, both independent and both checked by him personally, where he trusts the owners will sell only to responsible people. I can't ask for anything more.

Its a very sad day here. Thank you all for your support.

Minette

LavenderRott
October 13th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Please, if you decide to get another pup from this breeder, go to his place and pick one out. If you are not comfortable with what you see, you can just walk away.

I am sorry to hear about your loss.

lilith_rizel
October 13th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Minettejo,
I feel for you :( I am sorry to hear of your loss. I am happy that the pet store and breeder are caring enough to do the things that they are doing. It shows that there are some people out there that still do care enough to do what they should. I hope that you are able to find another puppy just as precious. It shouldn't be that hard. What puppy isn't adorable. :)
I am happy to have talked with you and to hear your story, even if there was a sad ending. I guess God said it was the pup's time, unfortunately. :(
Once again, I am extremly sorry to hear of the loss.

GsdDiamond
October 13th, 2004, 02:30 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss. Just know that your pup is playing, while he waits for you, across Rainbow Bridge. Your little one couldn't have asked for a more loving family to love, or be loved by.

TalonsMa
October 13th, 2004, 04:39 PM
I am so sorry for your loss :( The poor little guy...

Beautygirl
October 13th, 2004, 06:16 PM
So sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is to lose a pet. It seems that the pet store & breeder are very responsible.

heeler's rock!
October 13th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Minette,
I am so sorry to hear about little Meuslix! :( :( Poor little guy......just remember that he is heaven waiting for you, and one day you will hold him again......Good to know that the pet store and breeder are doing all they can to help you. Just be careful if you decide to get a new pup from the breeder. The fact that Meuslix had a congenital problem aswell, makes me wonder about the breeder's health testing.....take care and please keep us posted with your future pup plans, and if you ahve any questions, don't hesitate to ask..... :o

Bugsy
October 13th, 2004, 07:51 PM
I'm sooo... sorry. I was so hopeful Meuslix would have pulled through. :(
Poor little baby. Just take solace in the fact if you hadn't come along
he would have never known love before he passed on.

Minettejo
October 13th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Thank you all so much. All your kind words and support through this ordeal has made it easier. I know Meuslix is in heaven. My husband said he was just so darn cute, God wanted him back. We got to love him for a while, and he will stay in our hearts forever.

I wish all of you and your pets long healthy lives. I will keep you all posted on new puppy progress, and stay a regular on this board. You are all stars.

King Taffy
October 14th, 2004, 10:13 AM
The loved little pup that you have lost is remembered by those who share your grief. May you be comforted during this sad time by the precious memories you have, by the closeness of the many people who have read your the heartwretching tale of your puppies fight for life.
I'm just new here and was reading some of the postings when this one caught my eye. The tears are running as I write. Your puppy is in the presence of greatness, your elder dog needed a friend and companion to help him with his missing you.

mastifflover
October 14th, 2004, 10:25 AM
I am very very sorry for your loss. Take comfort in the fact that Meuslix was loved and was not alone at the end. ((((HUGS))))

glasslass
October 14th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Ohhh Minette! My heart just sank when I read your post that you lost your baby. I was hoping he'd be alright! He was soo lucky to love and be loved so much in his short little life. I know this has been devastating to you and your family. My sympathies are with you!