Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Minnie.

Soundy
June 29th, 2012, 07:08 PM
(The following is as I posted to the Team Mini-Mutts Facebook page)

Dear Pack,

It is with very sad hearts that we inform you of Minnie's passing from our little family this morning.

When we first met her, she'd been recently given to a friend of ours, previously neglected and in need of dental work and a lot of love. Due to circumstances beyond anyone's control, she found herself bounced through two more homes within her first three weeks of being removed from the only home she'd ever previously known.

When Minnie came to live the Mini-Mutts, she was cheerful, friendly, cuddly... but terrified to go anywhere more than half a block from the house - probably afraid every time she left the house that she wouldn't be going back, handed off to yet another stranger.

It took time, patience, and lots of support from the Mini-Mutts, but eventually she got to the point where we could walk her anywhere or drive her anywhere in the car, with no sign of panic or nervousness: she knew where home was and she knew she would never have to leave her family.

She loved to bounce through the tall grass, jumping as high as her stubby little legs would let her, chasing Groucho and Dusty in their pursuits of other dogs at the park. She was never interested in the ball, but she would chase Groucho every time he went after it.

Likewise, she never showed any interest in the other mutts' toys, but loved to play with her humans' fingers, swatting and nipping at them (without ever actually nipping). She wasn't always the first to greet you, but damn sure shoved her way to the front of the line to get pets and hugs... and ohhh, she looooved to give kisses!

When we took our bedtime walkies last night, all seemed fine; she peed and pooped as usual, and we all tucked in for the night. Sometime in the night, she threw up on the bed, but we didn't think much of it, as she's done it before.

Then this morning, when Daddy took the pack walkies at 6am, she seemed out of sorts - alert, but slow, like she just wasn't feeling well. Daddy gave her some cuddles and pets and brought everyone back inside, and headed off for work.

A few hours later, Mommy went to take the pack for a walk, but Minnie didn't come running with the rest of them. She phoned Daddy to make sure she'd come back in, then searched the house. It wasn't long before she found the poor little angel, laying beside the bed, already departed for Rainbow Bridge.

Our greatest regret was that we could never officially announce her as part of the Mini-Mutts, although she was every bit as integral to the pack as the rest of them.

Run free now, little girl - you'll be forever loved.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/462650_10151757366660402_346860443_o.jpg

pbpatti
June 29th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Soundy, I am so sad that one of your lovely mini-mutts has passed over the rainbow bridge. Thank you for taking her in and loving her along with the rest of your pack.

:rip::angel2: Run free little Minnie:angel2::pray:

hazelrunpack
June 30th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Bless you for taking her in and giving her the best times of her life! What a lucky little girl she was, meeting up with your family! :grouphug: I'm so sorry you've lost her, but so happy for all of you that you were able to make the connection that brought her to your home!

:candle: Minnie

Barkingdog
June 30th, 2012, 01:23 PM
(The following is as I posted to the Team Mini-Mutts Facebook page)

Dear Pack,

It is with very sad hearts that we inform you of Minnie's passing from our little family this morning.

When we first met her, she'd been recently given to a friend of ours, previously neglected and in need of dental work and a lot of love. Due to circumstances beyond anyone's control, she found herself bounced through two more homes within her first three weeks of being removed from the only home she'd ever previously known.

When Minnie came to live the Mini-Mutts, she was cheerful, friendly, cuddly... but terrified to go anywhere more than half a block from the house - probably afraid every time she left the house that she wouldn't be going back, handed off to yet another stranger.

It took time, patience, and lots of support from the Mini-Mutts, but eventually she got to the point where we could walk her anywhere or drive her anywhere in the car, with no sign of panic or nervousness: she knew where home was and she knew she would never have to leave her family.

She loved to bounce through the tall grass, jumping as high as her stubby little legs would let her, chasing Groucho and Dusty in their pursuits of other dogs at the park. She was never interested in the ball, but she would chase Groucho every time he went after it.

Likewise, she never showed any interest in the other mutts' toys, but loved to play with her humans' fingers, swatting and nipping at them (without ever actually nipping). She wasn't always the first to greet you, but damn sure shoved her way to the front of the line to get pets and hugs... and ohhh, she looooved to give kisses!

When we took our bedtime walkies last night, all seemed fine; she peed and pooped as usual, and we all tucked in for the night. Sometime in the night, she threw up on the bed, but we didn't think much of it, as she's done it before.

Then this morning, when Daddy took the pack walkies at 6am, she seemed out of sorts - alert, but slow, like she just wasn't feeling well. Daddy gave her some cuddles and pets and brought everyone back inside, and headed off for work.

A few hours later, Mommy went to take the pack for a walk, but Minnie didn't come running with the rest of them. She phoned Daddy to make sure she'd come back in, then searched the house. It wasn't long before she found the poor little angel, laying beside the bed, already departed for Rainbow Bridge.

Our greatest regret was that we could never officially announce her as part of the Mini-Mutts, although she was every bit as integral to the pack as the rest of them.

Run free now, little girl - you'll be forever loved.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/462650_10151757366660402_346860443_o.jpg

I am so sorry to hear about the lost of your beloved pet.

Rgeurts
June 30th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Oh Soundy... I am so very sorry. What a precious little thing, and what wonderful souls you and "daddy" are to have taken this little girl in and show her what love and family should be. Bless you both. :grouphug:

:rip: sweet little Minnie :candle: :angel2: :pawprint:

Soundy
June 30th, 2012, 09:54 PM
First time we took Minnie to our favorite dog park (Clayton Heights, in Surrey), I snapped this shot of her... my wife put the original as her FB profile pic this morning (BTW, Rgeurts, I am "Daddy") and I was inspired to create this for the Mini-Mutts FB page cover photo:

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/291656_10150937686664285_1428309159_o.jpg

hazelrunpack
June 30th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Very sweet, Soundy. :lovestruck: :cry:

Dog Dancer
July 1st, 2012, 12:18 AM
Soundy I'm so sorry for your loss. How wonderful that Minnie finally knew happiness and love with you and your pack. I love the final pic, she will indeed be waiting for you at the bridge, when the time is right. :rip: sweet little Minnie you will always be loved.