Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Max passed away

doubletees
June 28th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Max October 23 rd 1995 -June 27th 2012

I had my sweet dog for nearly 17 years. He was so ill and getting worse and we decided to out him down as we did not want him to suffer. I feel so lost.
I feel like a huge part of me is missing inside.
I never had a dog before and losing him is devastating. I feel like I can't go back to "normal" as all I know is a life with my dog. This is so hard.

Barkingdog
June 28th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Max October 23 rd 1995 -June 27th 2012

I had my sweet dog for nearly 17 years. He was so ill and getting worse and we decided to out him down as we did not want him to suffer. I feel so lost.
I feel like a huge part of me is missing inside.
I never had a dog before and losing him is devastating. I feel like I can't go back to "normal" as all I know is a life with my dog. This is so hard.

I am sooo sorry to hear about the lost of your sweet dog. I know just what you mean about feeling like a huge part of you is missing. My condolences to you and your famliy . :2huggers: When I lost my hearing dog I felt so lost , he was at my side all the time and it left like I was missing apart of my body.

lindapalm
June 28th, 2012, 10:47 PM
You did a great job, having a dog for seventeen years is amazing. I'm sure you have so many good memories, try to concentrate on them. Your dog was a very lucky dog to have had such a long life with someone who cared so much about him.

marko
June 29th, 2012, 09:18 AM
It's the hardest part about being a pet owner :(

Please accept my deepest condolences.
:rip: Sweet Max :candle:

pbpatti
June 29th, 2012, 09:53 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. :rip::pray::angel2:

Dog Dancer
June 29th, 2012, 10:12 AM
I am so sorry to hear about you losing Max. He will always hold a cherished spot in your heart. I had my sweet girl Shadow pts in October and just this morning I had a good cry thinking about her. But good thoughts. Still they are such a part of our lives. The pain will go eventually and the sweet memories will help. Max was indeed a lucky boy to have been loved by you.

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2012, 10:16 AM
I'm so sorry to here about Max, doubletees. :grouphug: You gave him a wonderful life! Such a lucky boy--he was so obviously well-loved and cared for. I hope your happy memories of Max quickly ease the grief you feel now. :grouphug:

:candle: Max

doubletees
July 1st, 2012, 03:30 PM
Thank you all so much.
It feels surreal in the days without him. I keep trying to be "normal" for my sons but the tears just keep coming.There is not a spot I don't see him here in the house or can remember a time he made me laugh and smile.
Thank you all for sharing your own experiences with me. I feel so alone but then I see that what I am feeling is normal and all of you loving pet lovers have felt what I feel right now.

Even though I miss him, looking back and seeing how frail and weak he was, I know it was the right thing to do. Its not any easier without him but I know he is not suffering.

lindapalm
July 1st, 2012, 08:51 PM
I read this on another post, and its really true. You decided to be the one to suffer so that your dog no longer had to, and that really shows how much you loved him.

.unknown.
July 3rd, 2012, 03:26 PM
I know exactly how you're feeling. A house seems so empty without a dog running around in it. It will get better though. As the old cliche goes: time heals all wounds. But it's also perfectly ok to cry. I know it's hard to keep up a strong front, but sometimes you just have to surrender! You lost a dear friend and it's no crime to feel sad about it.

:grouphug:

doubletees
July 6th, 2012, 12:16 PM
I feel so blessed to have found this fourm. When Max was having health issues the kindness of people was overwhelming with sharing tips and tricks and ideas and compassion.
When I made the decision to end his suffering. The same thing. I want you all to know I think of you all as Angels and I am blessed.

The vet sent me a kind condolence letter today and attached was a pawprint of my dog . I was not expecting it and it broke me down .I have been unable to stop crying since I seen it. I was having a tough Max day to begin with. I was so grateful they would do that for me. I did not even think to take a paw print and it was like a sign or a message from him telling me he is ok. I felt and still feel so emotional right now.

It seems surreal without him. I still go to get up and pick up the dog , to take him out, I still wake up at all hours in the night to check on him. For the last 12 months his health took a bad turn and especially in the last 5 weeks. My whole life was revolving around him and I did not even notice because I love him so much. I feel so lost right now. I miss holding him, and loving him and petting him. I miss seeing his little face turning the corner in the yard coming back to greet me. I miss seeing his little face waiting for me, even though he was sick, tail was still wagging.
I could have never anticipated this would be so hard.

Does anyone have any advice on helping children? Max grew up with my boys aged 17 and 10 and they are not dealing with it well I feel like my grief is not helping them and I don't know how to make them feel better when I feel bad inside.

hazelrunpack
July 6th, 2012, 07:35 PM
One thing we often do after we lose a pet is to exchange our happy memories of that pet. Even though relating them still made us cry, it was a healing sorrow and often helped us come to terms with what had happened. It helps us to remember that although our most recent memories were sad, there were many, many years of happy memories preceding that, and a life to be celebrated rather than a death mourned.

Maybe something like that would be helpful for you and your boys? :grouphug:

Judes
July 7th, 2012, 07:52 AM
Hi I know it's been a while since your loss as I only just joined but I felt compelled to respond. I know how you feel as I too have spent many days grieving for lost babes. I hope you and your family are feeling a bit better now and truly I still keep pics of them on my phone just to smile at ever so often.
I wish you all the comfort on the world.