Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

teach an old dog new tricks

who's the owner
October 11th, 2004, 07:02 PM
i just brought home a new dog he is 5 years old and he will not stop marking everything in the house, anyone have any help for me???????? :confused:

glasslass
October 11th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Maybe, he's trying to establish his territory? You need to start from square one and train him as a new puppy. Taking him out often, praising, etc. After a few days, he should settle down and become comfortable with the "rules" once he knows them. When my parents first adopted "Alfie" from the pound, he was similar. In addition, he tried to hump everything in sight - pillows, legs, their other spayed female dog. They had him neutered right away, but he had already ceased and desisted by that time. He settled in and became a treasured member of the family. Why he was so wonkie the first few days? Maybe insecurity?

Lucky Rescue
October 12th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Is this dog neutered? If not, get him neutered right away. Marking in the house is often a problem with intact males.

glasslass' advice is good. Treat this dog like an untrained puppy and never give him the opportunity to mark.

Keep a leash on him, and if he even looks as though he thinking of peeing, or gets in position to do it, give a tug, say NO!! and take him right outside. As soon as he pees outside, praise like crazy.

If he has only been recently neutered, this behavior should improve as the hormones leave his body.

You can also put a "belly band" on him if you can't watch him. After peeing all over himself a few times, he should stop!

Clean any areas he has peed on with an odor neutralizer, like "Nature's Miracle."

He should be fine, and thanks for giving an adult dog a second chance.:)