Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

German Shep Feeding

clout18
October 11th, 2004, 04:56 PM
We have been feeding our two male 9 month old pups three times a day. My roommates are urging to leave a large bowl of food out the entire day, to make sure one of the males is eating enough (he seems to not eat quite as much because of his brother). I've heard that German Sheps naturally will not overeat, but I am concerned. I've always stuck to feeding at specific times of day, not just leaving the food out all day. Any suggestions or thoughts? :confused:

melanie
October 11th, 2004, 05:14 PM
i thnk it depends on the dog. i know dogs that can just graze all day, but my German Shep would eat till she died i tell you, she is an absolute pig and scoffs everything, so there is no point for me to leave out food for her.

if one boy is not eating enough could you seperate them when eating, say one in kitchen one in laundry, that way there is no competition between them and you cna make sure every one si getting enough food. also the boy who eats less wont need to be nervous or anythingwhen eating, i would weperate them when feeding if i were you. also feeding together could lead to future dominance issues, if one boy is already eating less due to his big brother being top dog, he is already being dominated. seperate them and see how that goes.

how long do you intend to feed them 3 times a day?? i have heard this used before, and some GSD ppl reccomend 2 feeds a day as it is supposed to be good for metabolism and weight control., my old girl has it tough :rolleyes: and only gets breakfast but she is 8yrs old. and would not be happy if we changed her routine now.

Bugsy
October 11th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Considering that German shephards can be prone to bloat..I would opt for
your choice of feeding 3 small meals instead of 1 large meal.

LavenderRott
October 11th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Bugsy has an excellent point. Another thing you might want to consider is...
too much added weight makes it harder on the joints.

melanie
October 12th, 2004, 12:10 AM
bloat is not as common as ppl make out. my 8yr old has had 1 feed a day her whole life, as do most dogs i have ever met and they are all happy and healthy. bloat is also associated with excersise and feeding, and rarely feeding alone.

that is why i suggested 2 feeds. mona an old poster had GSD for years and reccommended 2 feeds a day for weight control and metabolism for an adult dog.

but dogs that are fed once a day are fine, i dont actually know any one who actually feeds more than once a day other than on the board and i know alot of dog owners..

PS- my dog is not fat by any means, she is a older desexed female and they often have issues with weight, my dog eats once a day and i would never ever say she has ever had a real weight problem and is ridiculously healthy, her diet has not killed her or shortened her life or had any adverse effects.

as i said before it comes down to the individual dog and what is suitable for your lifestyle..

Stewart
October 12th, 2004, 12:29 AM
My GSD female used to be fed once a day and never had problems and recently due to upset tummy,as they do have sensitive stomachs I
took her to our vet and her advice was feed twice so now she gets fed twice a day but its not a strict rule as I say she was fine on once a day.She has never in her life been overwieght and her stomach wont handle a rich diet red meat etc so its either white fish or chicken with a handfull of mixer.Having said that a lot of GSD oweners over here swear by tripe thats what they feed thiers :)

GsdDiamond
October 12th, 2004, 08:55 AM
My 8 month old does well with:
Morning (6:30 am) 2 cups dry mixed with 1/4 can moist.
(1 cookie for bed when I leave for work)
Supper (5pm) 2 cups dry mixed with 1/4 can moist.
Tiny tidbits throughout the evening as she earns them.
2 cookies for bed at about 10pm

The vet says her weight is just about perfect, with no worries about gaining too quickly. Too much weight gain, too quickly, can lead to hip displaysia (sp?) in larger breeds.

Free feeding can lead a dog to become food agressive as it thinks the floor is the source of the food, and not people. Any dog, but especially ones that can be 75lbs and bigger when full grown, need to learn that the people in their lives are the source of the food.
Free feeding also makes it very hard to keep track of how much they're eating.

Bloat can occur in any large dog, but will happen most often if they exercise after eating. Allowing the food to digest before rigerous (sp?) activity is good advice for any size of dog.

Do you have pics of your little angels?