Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Disturbing Story

doggab
October 11th, 2004, 03:57 PM
My husband and I were driving down a major road Friday night. As we were chatting I saw a white blob on the road. It was too late for us to stop so my husband was forced to continue driving. We immediately stopped when it was clear and he screamed "it's a dog and it's still alive." We were lucky that we drive an SUV so we avoided the poor guy. He was lying on his back in the middle of the road, probably terrified of all the cars (my dog did the exact same thing b/c I accidentally stepped on his paw earlier that day...eerie). The puppy seemed to stand on all fours alright. We were in complete shock. 2 - 3 minutes later, I look through the rear view mirror and see a strange man walking towards them. He insisted on talking the dog and ran accross the street. By this time, I was in the driver's seat. I look accross the street and there's a lady. I open my door and say "are you sure he's okay?" They say "thank-you, thank-you" and took off with the dog. My husband didn't want to give the dog back but traffic carried on as usual and there was little we could do. Let's hope for the best for this little guy.

Geez, I wish pet store's weren't around to sell pups to irresponsible pet owners. It makes me sick to my stomach thinking there's someone out there who lost a puppy! How does that happen? Argh.

sue fox
October 11th, 2004, 04:26 PM
I know what you mean. Last wk Scottie and I were out for a walk and this Cherokee did a U turn and asked me about Scottie's breed and a bunch of questions. It was nice at first, but when I said how old he is the woman responded with "Oh, that's the same our Akita would be, last wk he got his by a car." Well I was shocked a 16wk pup has no business being out alone. And this is what they began to tell me, that their pup was tied up and somehow got loose while they were at work! :eek: :eek: When they got home there were cars all around stopped and there was their Akita dead in the street. :mad: :confused: I just don't get these irresponsible owners. I was quick to tell them that a Wheaten would not do well outside. And we were on our way!!
Scary!!
Sue

melanie
October 11th, 2004, 04:52 PM
my dog has never gotten out in 8yrs, but i have heard the odd story where a RESPONSIBLE owners dog got out, these things happens sometimes, gosh dogs do have little spirits at times and some more rambunctious than others. but i have seen lots of dogs just wandering too but yes, some responsible ppl have dogs that get out too.

food for thought

glasslass
October 11th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Den-Den got out once. The meter-reader (gas co.) left the gate open! We were in the livingroom watching TV and he barked at the front door!!! It happens. He has ID tags and is microchipped. But, hopefully, that won't ever be needed. But, it happens! Imagine our shock and surprise when we opened that door! :eek:

sue fox
October 11th, 2004, 05:21 PM
You're right our dog got out once and wandered the neighborhood when she was about 5yrs. I guess I just couldn't believe a 16wk was tied up for the day outside. I'm just not used to outside dogs. My brother has always had Golden Labs outside in a kennel. At least 2 at a time and he is in the country, so far no accidents. We've probably all had that scare!!
Sue