Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need Advice Please

goldenblaze
October 11th, 2004, 04:15 PM
I would love some advice on this little matter of over protective mother or not?

Try to keep it short, here it is. My Golden Retriever Blaze had a hard start and is now 8 months a little on the small side but happy healthy and doing great, Blaze is 54 pound Dr said small but he is not to worry. I don't worry about him being small if he is going to out grow mange and live a long life with us we love him so.

Across the street from me is a large Golden, Parker sweet guy but large and really really shy which is a little odd to me Goldens love people. I have talked to his mom many times about letting the boys meet, remember I have a 14 pound Shih Tzu Jordie too that I must always think about him aswell. My boys do not leave our yard, we have a chain fence for after dark and a petsafe pet fence for all other times. Now our boys stay in our yard and would never run after Parker, well just 2 days ago Parker came running in my yard and I freaked. I was babysetting Frodo too, a 6 month old golden and here comes Parker me with three dogs to get to. I got Frodo cause my two would not leave as Parker's mom came for him. My husband came out and went to Parker as Blaze got to him first and Parker jumped at Blaze on back feet and tried to bit him. They say he would not of hurt Blaze but I asked her to leave as there I was holding on to Frodo still.

So as it is Blaze loves others dog this weekend we had Frodo over night he went home Sun and Jake the beagle came and left today. Both my boys are great with sharing everything in their home even their parents.. :D they are great so now I do not want Parker to meet my boys what if he does hurt them what than. How do I handle this and make sure Parker does not come to my yards again. I lived here 1 yrs them for 9. What do you think, my husband thinks I worry for nothing, let them meet and play he said. Maybe if this happens it should be when I am not here, I know it might make it worse. So tell me what should I do, what would you all do? Thanks for any help :)

glasslass
October 11th, 2004, 06:20 PM
If it was me, I'd let them meet, on leashes, for a little social sniffing. But with a large difference in size, I wouldn't let them just run loose around each other until I was satisfied there wasn't going to be any aggression on either side. I think the meet and sniff should occur elsewhere so that territory wouldn't be an issue. How old is Parker? Are they both neutered?

goldenblaze
October 11th, 2004, 09:49 PM
If it was me, I'd let them meet, on leashes, for a little social sniffing. But with a large difference in size, I wouldn't let them just run loose around each other until I was satisfied there wasn't going to be any aggression on either side. I think the meet and sniff should occur elsewhere so that territory wouldn't be an issue. How old is Parker? Are they both neutered?

Thanks for your help..... both are neutered Parker is three yrs and 110 pounds large golden. Blaze I am sure would be fine but again I am scared I think my husband should let them meet a few times while I am away then when everyone knows it is safe I will see it myself. I am sure Blaze can feel the fear in me, I just want to keep him safe for everything that might harm him but yet must still let him be a dog. And yes I agree on a leash only, thanks again :)