Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Idea's to help gain appetite back?

Onetobe
June 9th, 2012, 12:37 PM
My cat has been pestered SO much by our new kitten, this kitten has been in the household for now 6 months. Don't get me wrong, they lovvvvve one another, but the problem is when my older cat eats the kitten HAS to budge in and the old cat stops eating.
Now....because this has gone on so long, our older cat has now interrupted his eating habits and is not eating much at all and losing weight at a gradual pace, which I've noticed but I thought it would stop cause he wouldn't be a fatty anymore, but he's very thin now and he WON'T eat more then 12 pellets (estimate) or a tbsp of soft food every couple times per day. He wants to but as soon as he goes in, he eats a couple bites and sometimes a noise will trigger him to stop eating (stress I know) and sometimes he'll just stop on his own.

Problem is, they're free fed. Mainly due to the older cat can't eat too much or he throws up, he use to binge and not chew his food and throw up a huge impressive amount. Well that problem is solved now, he doesn't binge and throw up anymore.

Anyone has similar issues with an annoying little cat? I was trying to put him in a separate room but he doesn't like it, so right now I'm resorting to force feeding which he doesn't like but at least I know he's getting small amounts of food every couple hours right now.

I don't believe he's sick, he's happy go lucky, scratches everything, cuddly like usual, playful chasing bugs throughout the house, sun bathes on the deck, pee's fine, poo's are SO tiny compared to what they use to be, same color. That's why I know he's not eating.

Barkingdog
June 9th, 2012, 01:52 PM
My cat has been pestered SO much by our new kitten, this kitten has been in the household for now 6 months. Don't get me wrong, they lovvvvve one another, but the problem is when my older cat eats the kitten HAS to budge in and the old cat stops eating.
Now....because this has gone on so long, our older cat has now interrupted his eating habits and is not eating much at all and losing weight at a gradual pace, which I've noticed but I thought it would stop cause he wouldn't be a fatty anymore, but he's very thin now and he WON'T eat more then 12 pellets (estimate) or a tbsp of soft food every couple times per day. He wants to but as soon as he goes in, he eats a couple bites and sometimes a noise will trigger him to stop eating (stress I know) and sometimes he'll just stop on his own.

Problem is, they're free fed. Mainly due to the older cat can't eat too much or he throws up, he use to binge and not chew his food and throw up a huge impressive amount. Well that problem is solved now, he doesn't binge and throw up anymore.

Anyone has similar issues with an annoying little cat? I was trying to put him in a separate room but he doesn't like it, so right now I'm resorting to force feeding which he doesn't like but at least I know he's getting small amounts of food every couple hours right now.

I don't believe he's sick, he's happy go lucky, scratches everything, cuddly like usual, playful chasing bugs throughout the house, sun bathes on the deck, pee's fine, poo's are SO tiny compared to what they use to be, same color. That's why I know he's not eating.

I would bring your cat to the vet to made sure there nothing wrong with your cat. There can be a numbers of reasons your cat is losing weight and I don't think the kitten is the reason.

Hazmat
June 10th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I agree a visit to the Vet is needed. Could be anything. Sometimes cats just eat less when they get old.

How much has he lost? How much does he weigh now?

Jarvis1
July 11th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Of course, the vet visit makes sense.

With difficult cases, I've had success with Gerber Baby Food: Chicken and Gravy, warmed up so it has some wafting odor, or room temperature. And feeding the older guy out of sight of the kitten.