Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogless in Ontario

Shepard
June 6th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Hello all, I'm Shepard (misspelling intentional). I'm a woman living in Ontario.

Currently I only have some tropical fish, but in the past I've shared my home at one point or another with pet rats, hamsters, degu, guinea pigs, and a samoyed dog. Most of my pets have been adopted from shelters or local people that didn't want them anymore. My dog was from a breeder.

My dog passed away from cancer after a lengthy battle and failed treatments a long time ago, and I haven't had the courage to adopt another for years (though I really want to!). I have a disability and other than my boyfriend I rely a lot on my pets for friendship and companionship. Losing my dog was very depressing, like losing a brother, and enough to make me very careful of who I want to go through something like that with again. Before he got sick we used to compete in agility and other dog sports, and had a lot of fun learning how to communicate with each other.

I checked out rescues a couple of years ago and even though I was really careful and did my research, I ended up at the wrong end of two different bait-and-switch scams, lost over $400 in the process, and still have no dog. It made me feel terrible and I've been really put off looking at rescues.

The unfriendly way I've been treated by some of these rescues also makes me not want to try at all. I've had rude responses for asking rescues honest questions such as, has a vet checked this dog for common diseases in this breed? I've had dogs pushed on me that I felt were completely wrong for my situation, and when I refused to adopt them the rescue would get mad and excommunicate me. This went on for about 2 years before I gave up looking and just accepted that I wasn't going to find a dog.

I'm hoping that in joining this forum I can start hearing some good rescue stories and start to feel more confident about finding a rescue dog again. I'm also hoping I might hear by word-of-mouth what the reputable organizations are in Canada, specifically Ontario. I've seen the websites of many MANY different rescues and shelters in Ontario, but that really doesn't tell me if they are any good at evaluating and placing their dogs. I'm also interested in smaller dogs so that makes a new friend even harder to find...

Looking forward to meeting you all. :cat:

mastifflover
June 7th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Welcome to our site. I am sorry you have had bad experiences with rescues. I am sure with the amount of members here who work in rescue will be willing to help you find a good fit. I have only had one bad experience and with help of members here and another forum helped to shut her down.Other than that all my experiences have been positive. Keep trying it is so worth it.

marko
June 7th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Hi Shephard,

Thx for joining the forum and sorry for the way you have been treated in the past. We have quite a few rescue people that visit our board so hopefully they can share some info with you.

Good luck!!

Barkingdog
June 7th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Hello all, I'm Shepard (misspelling intentional). I'm a woman living in Ontario.

Currently I only have some tropical fish, but in the past I've shared my home at one point or another with pet rats, hamsters, degu, guinea pigs, and a samoyed dog. Most of my pets have been adopted from shelters or local people that didn't want them anymore. My dog was from a breeder.

My dog passed away from cancer after a lengthy battle and failed treatments a long time ago, and I haven't had the courage to adopt another for years (though I really want to!). I have a disability and other than my boyfriend I rely a lot on my pets for friendship and companionship. Losing my dog was very depressing, like losing a brother, and enough to make me very careful of who I want to go through something like that with again. Before he got sick we used to compete in agility and other dog sports, and had a lot of fun learning how to communicate with each other.

I checked out rescues a couple of years ago and even though I was really careful and did my research, I ended up at the wrong end of two different bait-and-switch scams, lost over $400 in the process, and still have no dog. It made me feel terrible and I've been really put off looking at rescues.

The unfriendly way I've been treated by some of these rescues also makes me not want to try at all. I've had rude responses for asking rescues honest questions such as, has a vet checked this dog for common diseases in this breed? I've had dogs pushed on me that I felt were completely wrong for my situation, and when I refused to adopt them the rescue would get mad and excommunicate me. This went on for about 2 years before I gave up looking and just accepted that I wasn't going to find a dog.

I'm hoping that in joining this forum I can start hearing some good rescue stories and start to feel more confident about finding a rescue dog again. I'm also hoping I might hear by word-of-mouth what the reputable organizations are in Canada, specifically Ontario. I've seen the websites of many MANY different rescues and shelters in Ontario, but that really doesn't tell me if they are any good at evaluating and placing their dogs. I'm also interested in smaller dogs so that makes a new friend even harder to find...

Looking forward to meeting you all. :cat:

Have you thought of trying to get service dog for your disability? My hearing dog had cancer and I had to put him down . I did not want to wait 3-4 years for another hearing dog and looked on line of a dog to adopt . I found a recuse shelter for mini poodles and I called up and was asked a lot of questions. I told the woman I wanted to train a dog to be my hearing dog and the woman from the shelter flipped out! She acted as if I said I wanted to throw darts at the dog! I gave up trying to use the online shelter site and adopted my new dog from a no killer shelter . I got a small dog this time. That is horrible about getting ripped off , where the polices able to help you in any way?

http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/rescue.htm

I found this link for dogs in Canada that needs a loving forever home. there are so many dogs waiting for someone like you to rescue them.

Shepard
June 8th, 2012, 03:26 PM
There were a few rescues in there I had not yet checked out, thanks for the link. :)

With the adoptions gone wrong I read everything I signed and was able to get some of the money back. However there was money exchanged outside of the contracts, like for transportation, vetting, and "processing", that would have been much harder to get back. It could have been much much worse, live and learn. I also spent a lot of money in transporting myself to meet these dogs, which I can't get back and don't expect to. I just hope that the money going into the dogs' vetting was actually used for that purpose.

There are tons of cute dogs out there for sure, but it gets to slim pickings pretty fast once you eliminate dogs from Canadian places that only adopt locally, American places that don't adopt across the border (understandable, but 80-90% of the Petfinder searches based on my postal code are American results), sketchy postings, dogs that aren't suitable for me, rescues that aren't interested in me, weird applications, and people who are rude and don't like questions. My french is not the greatest so looking at Quebec shelters and rescues is also difficult.

Maybe I should get on a waiting list or something (if such a thing exists) at my local shelter? I think I'll be waiting a long time, though it's not as if it's been a while already. :shrug:

BenMax
June 8th, 2012, 05:46 PM
There is a huge number of reputable rescues in Ontario. If you are looking for a specific breed - there are breed specific rescues. Also non breed rescues that open their doors regardless of breed or mix breed combinations.

Rescues should never charge you an administration fee. If they ask for any processing fee - stay away. If a rescue refuses you an adoption there could be various reasons. If they try to match you up with the right fit, then they are doing their job correctly.

Good luck on your search. If anyone is rude with you, then you keep moving forward. Bad attitude only shows what kind of support you would get after the adoption.

Barkingdog
June 8th, 2012, 07:20 PM
There were a few rescues in there I had not yet checked out, thanks for the link. :)

With the adoptions gone wrong I read everything I signed and was able to get some of the money back. However there was money exchanged outside of the contracts, like for transportation, vetting, and "processing", that would have been much harder to get back. It could have been much much worse, live and learn. I also spent a lot of money in transporting myself to meet these dogs, which I can't get back and don't expect to. I just hope that the money going into the dogs' vetting was actually used for that purpose.

There are tons of cute dogs out there for sure, but it gets to slim pickings pretty fast once you eliminate dogs from Canadian places that only adopt locally, American places that don't adopt across the border (understandable, but 80-90% of the Petfinder searches based on my postal code are American results), sketchy postings, dogs that aren't suitable for me, rescues that aren't interested in me, weird applications, and people who are rude and don't like questions. My french is not the greatest so looking at Quebec shelters and rescues is also difficult.

Maybe I should get on a waiting list or something (if such a thing exists) at my local shelter? I think I'll be waiting a long time, though it's not as if it's been a while already. :shrug:
I gave up trying to find a dog on Petfinders , like you said you're asked so many questions and the people had no idea what hearing dog does. Are you looking for a special breed of dog or are open ti getting a mutt? I loves mutts , I think they're so cute. Do you know anyone the in America that could help you find a dog here? There are so many dogs needing a home , I am sure the right dog will show up for you. I when to the shelter 3 times before I found my new dog. I checked out the shelter wed site everyday as new dogs where coming all the time. I trying to get on a waiting list for a dog that being given up by a famliy . I told the shelter I wanted a dog 2-3 yo and the shelter told me about dogs that where a lot older , you may have better luck on a waiting list. I hope you'll find your new dog soon , you'll know once you see it . It was love at first sight with my little dog Marty. His name was 'Brad Pitt'!! I got rid of that name right away!!

mastifflover
June 9th, 2012, 06:52 AM
There is a huge number of reputable rescues in Ontario. If you are looking for a specific breed - there are breed specific rescues. Also non breed rescues that open their doors regardless of breed or mix breed combinations.

Rescues should never charge you an administration fee. If they ask for any processing fee - stay away. If a rescue refuses you an adoption there could be various reasons. If they try to match you up with the right fit, then they are doing their job correctly.

Good luck on your search. If anyone is rude with you, then you keep moving forward. Bad attitude only shows what kind of support you would get after the adoption.

I agree 100%. Rescues may not answer emails or calls right away but remember most are run by volunteers and do try there best to get back to you as soon as they can. I adopted Clark from Montreal it was a little harder because I was so far but after a few hiccups I drove down to pick him up. There are a lot of members here from Quebec so if language is an issue someone may be able to help out.