Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi and help!!!

waterdawg
June 6th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Hi all! I am a recent proud owner of a german short hair and really love the big guy, but!!! He smells awful now that he has discovered there are fish in the lake and can sit there all day upto his neck watching them. Does anyone have a remedy for his god awful smell!! He may have to stay on the porch soon!!!

Barkingdog
June 6th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Hi all! I am a recent proud owner of a german short hair and really love the big guy, but!!! He smells awful now that he has discovered there are fish in the lake and can sit there all day upto his neck watching them. Does anyone have a remedy for his god awful smell!! He may have to stay on the porch soon!!!

Baking soda absorbs odors , you could wet your dog down and put some barking soda on his fur . I would make sure the lake does not have any bacterias
in it. My dog got an ear infection going into pond that an outlet to a river and another dog got an infection on it belly from the same pond. We had a lake around that is shut down a lot for having bacterias in it.

waterdawg
June 6th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Well I'm sure there is some bacteria in the lake but not to worried about that as it is quite clean (I hope, I swim in it), after all he's a water dog now and I also plan on taking him hunting with me if he wants but don't really expect much....lol.... he is a bit of a goof. I was wondering if there may be something I could feed him that may help, i have read that coconut oil helps and will give it a try. I will let everyone know the outcome but if anyone has other solutions I would be more than happy to try. I've been running up the price of scented candles at the dollar store....lol.

pbpatti
June 6th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Welcome waterdawg:), Are you feeding him a fish based food? I feed Sasha fish based and she sometimes smells really fishy too. Or maybe she still does and I am getting used to her aroma.:crazy::D