Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Halloween!!!

Princesss04
October 11th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Do you all celebrate Halloween in Canda and around the world? Just wondering and if so how and what all do you all do on that day or night. Do you have hand out candy, dress up, party, etc? :D

meggie1425
October 11th, 2004, 11:36 AM
In canada we do all those things you mentioned (hand out candy, dress up, party etc.)

CyberKitten
October 11th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Hi,

I live in New Brunswick, Canada and we celebrate by handing out treats, dressing up and so forth. Some have taken it to another level in including many decorations on their homes (the front lawn becomes a cemetery kind of thing) but I just put up little pumpkins and that kind of thing. The police also offer parties for the little ones

glasslass
October 11th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Aww, Halloween!

Buy lots of miniature candy bars so we won't run out. Of course buy what I like best in case we have some left, which we always do because I always overbuy.

Decorate the porch with carved pumpkins, fake cobwebs and spiders and bats.

Pizza delivered.

Puss-Puss locked up for her own safety! Den-Den and Corky on the leash.

Watch spookies on TV and ooo and ahhh at all the hobgoblins coming to the door. Mostly just kids from the neighborhood with parents waiting on the sidewalks.

Comment that there's fewer kids than last year . . . . always!

chico2
October 11th, 2004, 04:16 PM
We actually have NO kids coming to our door,there is a big town-house complex across the street from me and the kids can fill their bags going through it.I still buy lots of little choclate bars,just in case :D and they will not be lost on me,I am a real true chocaholic :D

melanie
October 11th, 2004, 05:03 PM
no in australia we dont celebrate it at all. some pubs and night clubs will just to pull in patrons but no it is not an aussie celebration, i wish it was, all that candy, oh how nice. and there is no way my mum would have let us take candy from strangers anyway. :D gosh we were not even allowed to talk to them let alone knock on their doors. :eek:

but you go with your kids dont you?? how do you know what candy is safe and what has razor blades in it??

we dont have any celebrations like that in australia, no thanks giving or halloween, and if we did gosh those kids in the outback would have to walk far to the neighbors house :D :D . is it a public holiday?? most of our public holidays are based on sad events or war really. nope christmas and easter is it for us. ;)

jackieb
October 12th, 2004, 06:05 AM
they dont celebrate it in England either

i have moved here so my children will be celebrating it

Iggette
October 12th, 2004, 06:56 AM
I love holloween.......but out here in the country with such a long driveway.......no one ever comes here.... so I celebrate at the legion still dress up like a kid and have a blast......lol.....Thinking about being an evil witch doctor perhaps :rolleyes:

jackieb
October 12th, 2004, 07:20 AM
i have persuaded my hubby into buying a large pumpkin and we have bought the 3 boys there costumes A lady i know up the rouad invited us back to her house the other day and she had decorated her house and garden and we will go trick or treating up there as she is going to have witches and a couldren ive also told my hubby hes got to go up there with us he thinks its madness!! lol

Iggette
October 12th, 2004, 07:28 AM
A drive around the nieghborhood should be in order for your family.....alot of people really go out of their way to dress up the property to be as spooky as possible quite amusing for the kids...... :D

jackieb
October 12th, 2004, 07:30 AM
I will get my husband to come as that will realy impress him (not!!)

My kids are really looking forward to it well the older 2 the baby is a little small 14months but everyone says i should dress him up so i might!!

Princesss04
October 12th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Mel I feel sorry for you no Halloween we will all have to send you candy. LOL... Yes we go with our children (well the people that have children do. I do not have any yet) and they tell you to always look at your children's candy unless it is from someone you know and trust. I know when we were kids dad would always dump our out and look at every piece and get rid of what looked differant. (half opened of cut in it ir something like that) :eek:

melanie
October 12th, 2004, 04:50 PM
im thinking i might buy heaps of chocolate and candy (we call candy lollies) and tell my hubby it is just incase someone comes, and when no one shows up i will tell him i dont wnat it to waste it and will eat it all myself, sounds like a plan to me.

and you gotta laugh at the impressions we have down here, when ever halloween is mentioned my darlin dad starts carrying on about razors in apples and such (im sure stuff does happen but), you just gotta laugh at what we think, oh my poor dad he is mortified at the thought lol lol lol :D

oh i wish we had fun celebrations like this, it would be so much fun to dress up. man we cna be a boring nation sometimes, cant someone just come up with a really creative holiday for once??

well have fun every one, make sure you think of me when scoffing your candies and eat as much as you cna, it sounds like a legal pig out to me, and since it is a holiday you cant feel guilty, it doesnt count on holidays :D :D

glasslass
October 12th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Mel, there will always be a few bad apples (pardon the pun!) that try to spoil things, but like everything else, you just stay aware and don't let them. After you buy your candy, the rest of the ritual is to tell your hubby that you're going to put the candy in the freezer so you won't be tempted. That way, you can sneak a piece now and then over a period of time and he'll forget all about it! Girl Scout cookies actually taste best frozen! :D :D May I suggest Junior Mints! They are wonderful frozen! :D :D

glasslass
October 13th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Trick or Treat!!! :D

Sneaky2006
October 13th, 2004, 08:57 PM
What a cute pic Glasslass!
I love Halloween, my son and younger nephews love dressing up, we have a spiderman, a spongebob, and my son's going to be a killer clown this year! I can't wait to see them all.
We all walk around with our kids... one person always staying behind to hand out candy... we go through about 10 bags or more a year.
We check the candy first, but we only stay in our neighborhood. I believe you can go to the hospital where they have a special time to go and have your candy X-rayed.... just in case, but we've never had anything suspicious yet. Most people know by now that anything unwrapped or broken packages get thrown away asap!

Iggette
October 14th, 2004, 09:03 AM
jackieb.....

It was mentioned in a few spots in this thread about candy safety etc......Being new to the whole Halloween thing I thought you might like to see this web page

Safety Tips (http://nc.essortment.com/halloweensafety_rxni.htm)

Hope it helps party

jackieb
October 14th, 2004, 09:07 AM
This might seem a very silly question we know a few neighburs who i know are ok as they seem ok. Is it a big problem with sweets (candy as you say lol) :eek:

Iggette
October 14th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Glasslass.....so cute love the pic.....better put my glasses on I just noticed that they are dogs......lol soooooo sweeeeet

heidiho
October 14th, 2004, 10:10 AM
B-day is two days before halloween,so i love it..

raingirl
October 14th, 2004, 12:07 PM
mine is a week before as well.

October is my favorite month. It's the best fall month, it's my b-day, it's thanksgiving, it's halloween...I just love it!!

heidiho
October 14th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Ditto,it is just an all around cool month.............. party

glasslass
October 14th, 2004, 12:28 PM
It's also "turn your clock back" and sleep later! :p

Cinnabear
October 14th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Ohh Glasslass that was a cute picture. :D

melanie
October 14th, 2004, 05:14 PM
those safety tips are great, but i imagine you have all had lots of practice so the safety tips should be good. i have started filling the freezer with treats, like you sadi glassy, for the dear little kiddies :D :D . and hey no kiddies will come here so if there is alot of left overs how cna i be to blame? yes that freezer is becoming a popular hang out destination for me :D :eek: :eek:

lilith_rizel
October 17th, 2004, 09:51 PM
Mel, I've heard of poisoned candy and razor blade apples being a big concern and all. But I've never actually heard of it happening all too much. In fact In the cases I have heard, about it was the childrens own parents that did the poisoning. I don't think it should be a concern anyway because if you're going up to people's doors you can get the address off of their house or mailbox. And you're supposed to check the candy at home before eating it. With all of this Halloween is still a very fun and personally my favorite holiday. It's the one day of the year when you can be whoever you want to be and do what you want and nobody knows you. It's too bad that they don't have it in Australia. You're missing out.

Bugsy
October 17th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Glasslass I love :love: love :love: love :love: that photo . How they got all those dogs to sit still for it i'll never know.

melanie
October 17th, 2004, 10:04 PM
'turn your clocks back' hey what, do you guys have day light savings too, in aus some states do it but some dont such as western aus and tasmania,

i hate day light savings, over here it was started to allow the ppl in the cities to get more day light hours to play in summer, but it totally screws the farmers as part of the year they have to work in the dark till 7am. when it started here there was no consideration for anyone but the city folk but hey, that is still the way here and any one in the bush is supposed to be a social idiot so what does it matter if we milk cows in the dark to supply the city slickers with milk. :rolleyes:
and my girl friends in the bush that have to travel far have to get their kids up in the dark and get ready for school, its a real pain for them.

but it ends soon and i cant wait.