Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

To Crate or NOT to crate

Mysts38
October 11th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Hi All

Hannah did well in her crate last night,but my question is..should we crate her when we are here during the day or is it OK to snuggle her and let her fall asleep on us..she is a real snuggler and I want to absorb each moment of it :)

Princesss04
October 11th, 2004, 09:49 AM
I would not crate her through the day unless you are not going to be there. I would leave the crate door open so if she wants to go in there on her own that is fine but as far as crating her when you are there I would not. I know alot if dogs will go in their crates on their own because they feel it is like their den. :D

glasslass
October 11th, 2004, 11:23 AM
I think a short time might be beneficial so that it's no big deal when you have to be gone. Doesn't need to be for a long time.

sue fox
October 11th, 2004, 11:32 AM
We used to crate Roxie(past) and she loved it would run to "bed" when we put our shoes on! I agree with Princess I never crated when home, unless you definitely can't watch ie.outside in garden? Scottie still associates the crate with our leaving but we leave the door open and he will go over to it and take out towel to play with and I've started to put treats in for him to discover on his own! :D This puppy stuff is so much fun I'd forgotten how much!
Sue

goldenblaze
October 11th, 2004, 03:31 PM
It sure is alot like having a new child at home.. most of us think of them the same. I hope whatever you pick works out well, I myself have never used a crate for any pup I have ever owned from poodles too labs and goldens. I have always had a room with no danger for them to be and eveything has been great for me. Again that is just me do what you think is right but most of all have fun with Hannah. :)

glasslass
October 11th, 2004, 04:37 PM
I've never crated Den-Den either because it was easy to section off an area enclosing the doggie door. I was off work for a month when we first got him. I would put him in his area for about an hour. He quickly got used to it. By the time I went back to work, he was trained to use the doggie door and I was able to take down the barricades to the rest of the house. He didn't mind me leaving as he was already used to spending some time alone. He was so easy. I realize now that I was really really lucky! And he was incredibly good.

Goldenmom
October 12th, 2004, 12:17 PM
A crate definately. However, not all dogs take to a crate and its not worth all the hassle.

Goldens should be crated if possible. They are pups until at LEAST the age of 2 years old. Goldens are known for eating everything in sight, as well as chewing things. I crated them during the day when I was at home, for 1 hour intervals, so they could get use to going in there and knowing it wasn't a bad thing.

All my girls were uncrated at about the age of 6 months to come sleep in our room on a special pillow bed. This worked well for us. We had to keep the door closed, but thats ok, I knew where they were. If you exercise them fully before bed, you shouldn't hear from them until morning.

You won't know until a few months if you have a destructive pup or not. I have friends with 5-6 year old goldens that still eat tv remotes, de-stuff couches, eat food off the table, and chew baseboards.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

TalonsMa
October 12th, 2004, 02:39 PM
We started Solara with a crate the day we picked her up. We picked her up in a small crate :) She loves it, we put a blanket around it, so it's nice and comfy in there for her, and she loves it. She sleeps in there all the time. My hubby made her a big pen, with her crate / toys etc inside, and she still sleeps in her crate at night, even tho we no longer close the crate door. We actually have two crates, one is upstairs in our living room, that she hangs out in while we are watching tv. But if we aren not able to supervise her 100% she goes into her pen. Then we don't have to worry she is harming herself, or getting into trouble :)

pug lover
October 13th, 2004, 12:22 AM
I usually crate my puppies for the first year of their life then they graduate to a dog bed in the exact same location as the crate works for me but thats what i CHOOSE to do---

wAggie
October 14th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Hi All

Hannah did well in her crate last night,but my question is..should we crate her when we are here during the day or is it OK to snuggle her and let her fall asleep on us..she is a real snuggler and I want to absorb each moment of it :)

what do YOU want? what do you expect her crate to be used for? how long do you wanna keep her crate as part of the furniture?