Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need opinions on what to do with my sick cat sammi

MeghanO28
May 25th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Hello all,
My cat sammi is almost 2 years old, the thing with him is that he has an enlarged heart and it pushes on his lungs so he has a really hard time catching his breath. His whole mouth turns blue when this happens, I've taking him to a vet and they said we could get an ultrasound to see if anything can help him but that costs a ALOT of money. We tried to get him neutered but they couldn't put him out because they said he wouldn't make it. When he has his attacks they start from him just either peeing or pooping, he can only play for 5 minutes before he cant breath and if he just itches himself. He is the most loveable cat ever and ive been told that it would be best to put him down. I want to but when hes lovey and purrs it breaks my heart and i feel like i would be murdering him, Its been very hard for me to make a decision PLEASE feel free to express your feelings and what you would do under this circumstance! Thank you guys so much!

-Meghan:thumbs up

LavenderRott
May 25th, 2012, 05:29 PM
I have a 3 year old dog and if he was suffering, and there was nothing that I could do to keep him from suffering, I would put him to sleep.

I know that this is difficult - both to contemplate and to put into action - but you need to take your heart out of the equation for a minute. Think about this with your head. I would imagine that being unable to breathe is rather terrifying. Imagine only being able to do anything for a minute or two at a time. Would you want to live your life like that?

Don't think of it as murder - it isn't. It is making a well educated decision regarding the quality of life that your pet has or doesn't have.

Kasianni
May 25th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Hi Meghan! So sorry to hear about your cats situation. What is his name?
You asked for opinions, here is mine. If I could afford it, I would do as much as possible, get the ultrasound and see if there is anything that can be done. Maybe there is a disease causing it and there are meds for it? After the ultrasound I would then be able to make a better decision. Can your vet make arrangements for payments with you, if not can you search for a vet that can. If there is a teaching hospital near you, they cost far less then going to an actual vet, maybe they could help some way. Obviously, you don't want your baby to suffer. Its so hard to make these decisions. I am so sorry you are going through this.

MeghanO28
May 25th, 2012, 05:39 PM
thank you all! I wouldn't want to live my life miserable and not being able to do anything but sleep, i no putting him down would be the best thing for him. but its still just hard. The ultrasound will cost way to much money and unfortunately i just got laid off so money is super tight. Believe me if i had all the money in the world i would try to see whats wrong and see if i could fix it, but they said he has an enlarged heart and would probably need surgery (which he most likely wont survive) he cant have the med to put him to sleep cause he wont wake back up from it. I really appreciate your opinions!

Koteburo
May 28th, 2012, 10:54 PM
I'm really sorry you're going through this and your fur baby.
Me? I'm of the opinion of doing as much as possible. I've been in that situation and short on money and for me sleeping them it's the very last option I'd never do it unless I have exhausted everything else and unless my baby it's not in severe unstoppable pain (as in syringomyelia kind of pain which is unbearable to suffer)
I fight to the very end for my babies, look for everything, natural, conventional, care routines, e v e r y t h i n g. Because if it was me I wouldn't like my person to give up on me unless it's like absolutely, extremely necessary.
I am just telling you how I am and how I handle things, but that's just me.
Have you checked with your local rescues? Maybe they know where to get medical attention for the minimum cost. Try to find out :lovestruck: don't give up yet. I know how it is not to be able to pay the vet bills so don't think I'm being insensitive on that :) Where there's a will, there's a way (at least to try)
Blesisngs for your little Sammi :pray: he's still too young. And thank you for caring for him and try your really best being realistic but with hope.

marko
May 29th, 2012, 08:52 AM
What a terrible situation - so sorry you are going through it. :grouphug:

If this were my cat, and I was in your identical shoes, I might wait until the cat passed on its own. I might ask my vet if there are meds that can soothe the cat in the short term. I think that's what I might do - gosh this is a hard one. :(

..but only you live with the cat and only you see the effect of these attacks on him and how quickly or slowly (and the effort on the cat's part) it is to recover for them.

wishing you and kitty good thoughts :goodvibes:

Barkingdog
May 29th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Hello all,
My cat sammi is almost 2 years old, the thing with him is that he has an enlarged heart and it pushes on his lungs so he has a really hard time catching his breath. His whole mouth turns blue when this happens, I've taking him to a vet and they said we could get an ultrasound to see if anything can help him but that costs a ALOT of money. We tried to get him neutered but they couldn't put him out because they said he wouldn't make it. When he has his attacks they start from him just either peeing or pooping, he can only play for 5 minutes before he cant breath and if he just itches himself. He is the most loveable cat ever and ive been told that it would be best to put him down. I want to but when hes lovey and purrs it breaks my heart and i feel like i would be murdering him, Its been very hard for me to make a decision PLEASE feel free to express your feelings and what you would do under this circumstance! Thank you guys so much!

-Meghan:thumbs up

I am sorry to hear your poor cat is so ill . Would your vet let you pay on a installment plan so could have an ultrasound done on your cat? Are there any low cost clinics for pets near you? I found one for my daughter's dog when the dog needed a tooth removed. When I had to put my dog down , I knew it was right thing to do for him as he was pain from his cancer , it did not feel right in my heart but I knew in my mind I had to do what was best for my beloved dog. I knew either way my heart was going to hurt , it was so painful seeing my big beautiful proud Standard Poodle peeing blood and not being to eat anymore. I had to go with my mind and not my heart as painful as it was. I really feel for you and your cat.

Highlandercats
May 31st, 2012, 11:42 PM
Hi Meghan,
I am very sorry to hear about your kitty. I would like to share my stories, I hope it will help. I adore cats and had them all my life – at least last 40 years. I had few occasions when I had to decide. The first time was very tough – my cat was very sick and was living on steroids for 5 last years until his body started to shut down from drugs. I have spent about 10 K to keep him alive for 5 years. I couldn’t make a decision up to the point when he stopped eating and walking. One of my other cats had a kidney failure (he had only 1 properly working kidney and it failed too), believe me I have spent over 4 K on keeping him alive for a week and diagnostics…and he died a week later in vet clinic where he spent all this week..in pain, and I had to make a decision too. I put him through 7 days of suffering. And I put my first cat through 5 years of sufferings. At this point I have asked myself a question – did I let them go through this agony for THEM or for ME (because I didn’t want to make a decision). And you probably guess what I have answered to myself. There is no such thing as kidney transplant for a cat. At this point I have made a life decision – I will never let my cat suffer again. If this is a condition that can be improved I will make all efforts to do so to let my cat live full life and be happy, not miserable. I promised to myself that I will never again put animal through pain and suffering just because I am not ready to make a decision. Since then I had to put another cat down – she was gorgeous and extremely cuddly girl, loved me very much and was with me for 11 years. She had a cancer, the type that is very malignant. My vet said that if she survives the surgery she would live max half a year. This time I remembered my promise to myself. Dear Meghan, only you can determine how much your cat suffers. My advice – if your kitty suffers and can’t live normal live and you can’t change it then do not prolong tortures. Think about cat, not your feelings. Deal with this and then adopt another kitty from the shelter as I was doing. And think that you had to make a tough decision but gave a chance to live to another cat. Another advice – if you want to keep pets, find a good vet you trust and who doesn’t only think about profit. After years of search I have found one.
Hold on. Marina

mastifflover
June 9th, 2012, 08:25 AM
I am so sorry. I know how awful it is to make that decision, I have had to do it myself and it tore me up. But I sat down and thought about my dog and how much I loved him and he loved me. He would never let me suffer and I could not let him suffer he already had been through enough before I adopted him. I knew in my heart of heart that I was doing it because I loved him and I knew the time he was with me he was the happiest he had probably ever been. I adopted another because I knew he would want another rescue to be loved and safe. :grouphug: