Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat is pulling his hair out

Tessa78
May 20th, 2012, 07:57 PM
I have a 10 year old male cat who has been pulling his hair out for almost a year now. He has been pulling the hair from the middle of his back all the way down to the base of his tail. He has VERY dry skin. I took him into the vet about 4 months ago they took a skin sample and told me there were no mites or fleas and that it might have been allergies or behavioral issues. They gave him a shot for allergies which didn't do anything, he still continued pulling his hair out so then they told me to try a special collar with pheromones to help him but that didn't work either. Any suggestions?

sugarcatmom
May 20th, 2012, 08:37 PM
What does your cat eat?

Tessa78
May 20th, 2012, 08:58 PM
He is eating 9 lives healthy coat dry cat food.

sugarcatmom
May 20th, 2012, 11:28 PM
He is eating 9 lives healthy coat dry cat food.

I can't find that exact formula online, but here are the main ingredients for 9 Lives Daily Essentials, and I'm willing to bet every other version is quite similar:

Whole ground corn, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, soybean meal, whole wheat, meat & bone meal, animal fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), salmon, chicken, beef, animal digest, salt, .....red 40, yellow 5, yellow 6, potassium sorbate (used as a preservative), BHA (used as a preservative), blue 1, ...

I think this is at least part of the problem. Soooo many ingredients not fit for feline consumption. The best thing you can do for the health of your kitty would be to switch to a good quality grain-free, fish-free, and food colouring free WET food. Here is a really good website done by a vet that explains why dry food isn't a good choice for any cat (and most especially one with immune system issues): www.catinfo.org

All the best to you and your cat. :goodvibes:

Tessa78
May 21st, 2012, 06:08 AM
Do have any suggestions on what kind of wet food might be best?

sugarcatmom
May 21st, 2012, 07:41 AM
Do have any suggestions on what kind of wet food might be best?

There's some info here on what to look for in decent canned food: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=cannedfoods

Some of the more common brands that fit the bill are Wellness, By Nature, Merrick, Nature's Variety Instinct. There's also Weruva, Ziwi Peak and Nature's Logic, but those tend to be harder to find. Not every flavour of all these brands is suitable so it's still important to learn how to read ingredients.

Barkingdog
May 21st, 2012, 11:00 AM
I have a 10 year old male cat who has been pulling his hair out for almost a year now. He has been pulling the hair from the middle of his back all the way down to the base of his tail. He has VERY dry skin. I took him into the vet about 4 months ago they took a skin sample and told me there were no mites or fleas and that it might have been allergies or behavioral issues. They gave him a shot for allergies which didn't do anything, he still continued pulling his hair out so then they told me to try a special collar with pheromones to help him but that didn't work either. Any suggestions?

Have you tried feeding your cat some fish oil , I would check with the vet and see if they if feel safe for your cat and how much you can give your cat.

Koteburo
May 23rd, 2012, 05:23 PM
My Etienne had the same problem for a while (my baby he's no longer with me I miss him so much)
His case wasn't as severe however I caught him biting his fur off and he kept doing it for some days. I took him to the vet and he told me it was very likely to be stress.
Being there he gave him an injection to boost his immune system and at home you can try keeping him relaxed, minimize stress, you could try things such as Feliway or Bach Flowers, aroma therapy, etc.
Food advice (as the ones above) is always very valuable :)