Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about feedings and weight loss

chicks
May 16th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Hi to all! Just wondering.. Has anyone ever moved their cats from a continuous feeder to scheduled feedings? They are used to coming and eating little bits at a time, and never overeat, but they are getting older, 12 and 13, and I think their metabolisms are starting to slow down and they are starting to gain weight.. I want to move them over to a diet version of their food, but does anyone think that will help or will they just eat more to satisfy their hunger? I don't want them to end up with health problems by being overweight so it is important that I nip this in the bud now before their weight gets out of hand.. Any suggestions for me? Should I only feed them twice a day with their current food or do I change them to a diet food and keep them on their continuous feeder? Or do I switch to diet food and then move them to scheduled feedings? I am not sure what the best thing to do is.. One of my cats has always been very active and continues to be, so getting him to lose weight is not really an issue and he is not really overweight right now, but my 12 year old is getting bigger. He has never been one to play, not even as a kitten. He is very sucky and lazy. LOL.. I have tried many toys and he is just not interested.. So, anyone have any suggestions? I would appreciate it!! Thanks in advance!!

sugarcatmom
May 16th, 2012, 08:36 PM
I want to move them over to a diet version of their food, but does anyone think that will help or will they just eat more to satisfy their hunger?

What do they eat now?

"Diet" or "lite" foods are actually a really bad choice for cats, and probably the fastest way to obesity. Using faulty logic where carnivores are concerned, the geniuses of the pet food industry figured loading cats up on carbs would help them lose weight. In truth, cats aren't "designed" to consume much in the way of carbohydrates and the excess ends up getting stored as fat. Not only that, but "diet" foods are more likely to cause cats to become diabetic, are highly allergenic, increase dental disease, and promote inflammatory bowel conditions. If you're still not convinced about how horrid they are, give this article a go: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=felineobesity

Basically, you want to feed a good quality, MEAT-based wet food. Little to no grains, no by-products, and limit fish intake to no more than a couple times a week (or not at all if there is a history of urinary tract issues).

How you feed them this food is up to you and your kitties. You can leave canned out for free-feeding (if they don't gobble it all up at once, that is), or try several (at least 3, if not 4 or more) smaller meals a day. Metabolically, cats are better suited to eating many times a day. Some people manage to switch to just 2. But see what works for you. I give my four cats 2-3 raw meals a day, with canned left out for them to snack on. Sometimes they eat everything within an hour and then don't eat again for 11 hrs, but usually it takes them 3-4 hrs to finish the canned.

Hope that helps!

chicks
May 25th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Wow! I had no idea diet food was that bad!! Thank you so much for letting me know this.. I will definitely not give it to my babies.. Thank you so much for telling me.. See? That is why I like this forum.. Anyways, I try to give my babies the wet food as a treat, so i will try your method with their regular hard food and see if it works.. It is difficult when one is overweight and the other one isn't.. It's like you are punishing them both.. LOL.. But, I know it is for their own good.. Harley, the one who needs to lose weight, does hoover any canned "treat", I lay down half a small container for him, and half for K.C. K.C. eats a normal amount, not the whole thing, and Harley will sit there for a half hour and then eat his treat, as well as the rest of K.C's.. I wish that he enjoyed playing because that would be so much easier, but it's just he does not like playing with any toys or anything. He just wants to snuggle! ;-)

Thank you so much again!!