- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Bleeding Pregnant Cat

May 16th, 2012, 11:39 AM
My old cat, Princess resides with an old friend of mine.
I could no longer keep her due to the landlords changes their pet rules.
She just recently moved in with my friend and she is pregnant.
I assumed she became so in late February or March when I adopted my (apparently not neutered) Turkish Angora.
The day she moved out, she was beginng to bleed slightly.
That was Monday.
I was sure she was going into labour and begged my friend to pick her up ASAP so she's would be able to give birth in her care.
Princess has settled in nicely with her new family, very friendly, adores her 2 very young children and is fully feeling comfortable in her new home.
Princess is 2.
But the bleeding has yet to stop, in fact it's gotten to point that she's dripping.
Me & my boyfriend could never feel the kittens, but we could feel the lumps and hear them when our ear was up to her stomach.
Her new mummy cannot see them move and it's beginning to concern the both of us.
I have been keeping tract of her pregnancy and she is hitting her due date with rapid speed that I've been saying for the past week or two that this should be the week.
Now things are starting to happen, but still no kittens.
She still eating big, but her stool is very loose.
It's contains no blood that I know of myself and she seems in no pain or any discomfort.
We've both scoured googled for some help, both coming up seemingly empty handed.
Some sites say this is nothing to worry about, others say its serious.
I personally don't know.
She is a very petite cat with a kitten's figure.
She's fully grown but about the size of a nine month old kitten.
The sire to the kittens, was not an overly large cat, but the size of any typical male of his breed.
We're somewhat concerned that maybe the kittens took his size and are too difficult for her to pass.
We prayed for a larger litter thinking the more there were, the less room they'd have to grow so passing them should be okay for her.
A smaller litter and we fear she may not make it due to the fact of the kittens being too large.
The nearest vet is an hour and a half away.
Neither me nor Princess's new mother has a form of transportation that can take her there.
We simply want to know if this bloody show IS indeed something serious or if it's just signs that soon the kittens will be on their way and their just being particularily stubborn.

May 16th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Wow... I'm sure this is blantantly obvious, but I would believe a trip to the vet is in order. We are not vets, and anytime there is abnormal bleeding, the very first thing you should do is contact a vet, especially since you believe the kittens are overdue. Good luck and I hope your kitty makes it.

May 16th, 2012, 06:30 PM
When in doubt, see a vet. I understand the vet is far away but between the two of you, one of you must know someone that owns a car, and can take you asap. Hope the kitty is okay. We can not tell you if it is serious or not, you really need to see a vet for that.

May 16th, 2012, 09:10 PM
We also are an hour from our vet and have not hesitated to make trips after hours in the middle of the night if one of our animals needed it. Your cat definitely needs to make that trip to the vet. Please get her in ASAP.

May 17th, 2012, 10:44 AM
My friend is planning on calling the vet and seeing what there is she can do.
With worst case she'll end up bringing her in.
Apparently this morning she has started contractions or so it seems, though she's still in no pain or discomfort.
She stopped bleeding last night and today there is still no sign of the blood.
I'll keep you guys informed on how theyre all doing as soon as I find out myself

Dog Dancer
May 17th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Neither you nor your friend seems to have any experience with a pregnant cat, and I would make certain that you or your friend call the vet and find out what to do. Your cat could be in serious risk of dying if there are complications with delivery, and deciding then that you need to get her to a vet that is almost 2 hours away may well be too late. You MUST have a plan in place that provides transportation in a timely manner. I hope your sweet Princess makes it through this ordeal and that you immediately offer to help your friend with the cost of spaying her so that she doesn't have to go through this trauma again. Really, your kitty deserves better than this.