Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Any body Up for a No Dogs demo. at Queen's Park

Akeeter
October 10th, 2004, 04:11 PM
for Sunday, Oct 31st? at 2 p.m.? PEOPLE only please. Please circulate to anyone or group you feel might be interested. (At the least we can say Hello, have a nice lunch outside, weather permitting.)

pitbulliest
October 10th, 2004, 08:06 PM
What do you mean a no dogs demo? What is this whole thing about?

LavenderRott
October 10th, 2004, 10:13 PM
Sounds like a great idea, sure wished I lived closer. Make sure you have plenty of flyers and do your homework ahead of time. Take pictures of your dogs looking sweet and cuddly. Remember that facts are better then emotion.

Good luck ladies and gentlemen!

If you give me complete details, I will cross post and see if we can't get some more people there.

Lucky Rescue
October 10th, 2004, 10:54 PM
I will cross post as well.

There's no way I can make that trip at that time, unfortunately.:(

pitbulliest
October 10th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Hmm I didn't know about this...I will post it on the forum I go to regularily.. www.pitbullforum.com
I'm sure alot of people will want to show up..lol
So this is Queen's Park...uhm..in Toronto right?
At 2pm?

Give me any other details needed and I will crosspost.

Spurby
October 10th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Yes, more details please. As well, are you sure a weekend is best? Why not a weekday when the MPP's are there? Who will be your speaker/s? What are your facts about the breed and BSL that will be presented?

cutiecherise
October 11th, 2004, 01:03 AM
are there no dogs allowed at queens park?

LavenderRott
October 11th, 2004, 04:07 AM
While it would be wonderful to have some lovely, well behaved dogs in attendence, I think that leaving the dogs home is a wonderful idea.

The fighting breeds are supposed to have dog to dog aggression but be absolutely not aggressive towards people. One stressed out dog, with too many people and strange dogs in it's face all day could turn an educational day into a nightmare for all involved. With everything that has been in the press lately, all it would take would be one growl and everyone would be screaming louder to ban these dogs.

Better to go armed with signs, leaflets, and well educated people who can answer questions.

pitbulliest
October 12th, 2004, 04:24 PM
I have a quick question..and maybe a suggestion (if it isn't too late)..but wouldn't it be a better idea to organize this on a weekday instead of a Sunday? Most people sit around at home on Sunday and prepare for work and school for the next day...its not as crowded and busy downtown during Sundays..less people = less of an influence we can make.

What about a Friday? I know people are a little more easygoing because hey, its the weekend (how can people NOT be happy? LOL)...not to mention, everyone got their paychecks so its all good.. :D
Downtown tends to be busier on a Friday, and the more people we reach out to, the better, right?

Its just my suggestion, and hopefully you guys can give your imput on how you feel about it. If there are any hesitations, this is the place to bring them up..

LL1
October 12th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Bryant's office is not at Queen's Park, and dogs are not allowed in the building where he works.
are there no dogs allowed at queens park?

pitbulliest
October 12th, 2004, 04:42 PM
*gettin shy*..uhm..is there uhm..any way we could maybe do it on a ....weekday?...please? what do you guys think?

:o :o :o

wAggie
October 14th, 2004, 12:39 AM
what's going on at queen's park on sunday??

can somebody post the info plz?

Akeeter
October 14th, 2004, 01:39 AM
to have one at Queen's Park. (Thanks Mr. Harris for that too.) So I'm trying to find out who/where you get a permit from..It would be a laugh if it was from the Att. Gen's office -LOL! Other options are the Att.Gen's Gov., office which is not located in Queen's park complex, or his constituency office which is in Toronto. Don't know the status on demo's at those locations-permit requ'd or not.

The reason why I'm suggesting No Dogs is that there are pro-BSL people who might wish to cause an incident, by hurting ot provoking a dog. And if somebody hurt your dog, well..you know what you'd do. There are crazies out there too. Withrow Park, dog poisoning etc. I don't want to put dogs & their owners at risk. The O.P.P. also have dogs, nasty ones if their handler thinks nasty is necessary. The O.P.P. are at the Att. General's service. -Do I make myself clear on that one?

You wouldn't take a dog to a place where it might get hurt, so that's why I'm asking that people not bring dogs.

So until I find out what's required & where do get it, & do I need to take out insurance..well it's up in the air, unless somebody knows.

The reason I thought Sunday is because we would likely get a better turnout of people. And maybe some press coverage. But the Att. Gen will not be at Q.P. on a Sunday. I have my doubts about Mr. Bryant meeting with us or anybody else anyway, unless it's in private, or unless he can spin it to his satisfaction. Various people connected with breed clubs & rescues have tried for meetings, but it's not happening.

sammiec
October 14th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Nice work Akeeter! You're on the right track with no dogs, you made some very excellent points. I feel that having this demonstration during the week will be your best best. Many people communte into the city on a daily basis for work and there will more than likely be people working in and around the area of Queen's Park.
I encourage people to bring photos, polite and to-the-point posters and their children!
We have to get the word out to more outlets very soon in order to have the turn out we need! Crossposting to other boards and forums is a great idea, but a date and time needs to be confirmed first!

You're awesome! :cool:

mastifflover
October 14th, 2004, 09:56 AM
If Michael Bryant won't agree to meet with rescue groups and others, I think that deserves some press. How can anyone make an informed decision if they only have the facts from one side? We know he had his mind made up for the start but at least pretend he cares what the other side has to say

sammiec
October 14th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Very good point Robin! If he doesn't agree to meet with Rescues and such this should be plastered ALL over the news! And CP24 I'm SURE would cover a story like that!!!

mastifflover
October 14th, 2004, 10:00 AM
I am writing an email to city tv right now

Dukieboy
October 14th, 2004, 02:10 PM
I vote for the Sunday and no dogs. Lots of pix and leaflets.

sammiec
October 14th, 2004, 02:12 PM
I vote for the Sunday and no dogs. Lots of pix and leaflets.

Sunday's not that great because there won't be anyone in office nor will there be many people downtown...

mastifflover
October 14th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Just another suggestion I went to citytv.com and posted on speakers corner they have an email one. Lets inundate that forum and they might do another news story on BSL

sammiec
October 14th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Just another suggestion I went to citytv.com and posted on speakers corner they have an email one. Lets inundate that forum and they might do another news story on BSL

Oooo good one!! That's smart!

LL1
October 14th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Which rescues asked to meet with him and were turned down?

(You can call the police and apply for a permit for a rally, the City of Toronto was working on a bylaw change to make permits are required for all rallies and protests on public property in Toronto, not sure if it went thru or not, altho alot of groups won't bother to get them, and some will be turned down for permits, and some may protest anyway. more info here: http://www.eye.net/eye/issue/issue_04.03.03/news/editorial.html)

The OPP are not at Michael Bryant's offices or at his service - if there was a riot or things became nasty then yes they would be called.

Don't know the status on demo's at those locations-permit requ'd or not.

The O.P.P. also have dogs, nasty ones if their handler thinks nasty is necessary. The O.P.P. are at the Att. General's service. -Do I make myself clear on that one?

The reason I thought Sunday is because we would likely get a better turnout of people. And maybe some press coverage. But the Att. Gen will not be at Q.P. on a Sunday. I have my doubts about Mr. Bryant meeting with us or anybody else anyway, unless it's in private, or unless he can spin it to his satisfaction. Various people connected with breed clubs & rescues have tried for meetings, but it's not happening.

Akeeter
October 14th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Also was suggested that I speak to Sargeant at Arms office in Queen's Park which i did. Person I spoke to didn't think there would be much of a problem.
(But insurance ? does come up on the requst form.) I'm sure we are all well bahaved people, but then there's the other people who may be motivated to cause trouble.
From what i've heard from a RCCBSL (Rotti group) member, 'Trish' from that group, who wrote the great letter published in TorStar, has been waiting for sometime for a meeting to be set up with him. If she has had that meeting, I haven't heard about it yet. I don't think intially from published report-TorStar that any Pit Rescues were even included on the 1st meeting or any subsequent. (Any meetings after have not been reported, & his (M.B's) Att. Gen's web site has no mention of BSL, dogs, PB's at all. There is not a lot of official info. out there about where things stand now.) :confused:

One radio interview took place on CBC Metro Morning with breed a rescue person/trainer. But the interviewer kept saying she was a Breeder of PB's & had a $$ interest in anti-BSL when they were off air & she didn't hear it the 1st time around. She noted to him that she isn't a breeder after she heard him say it. To my knowledge that interview is the only public interaction or meeting he has had with PB/Staffy rescue, so far. :sick:

OSPCA, Canada Safety Council, Cdn. Vet. Assn, THS, & CKC all have their letters & input displayed on their web sites, but no replies from Att. Gen. are posted.-????? This is what makes me think he Doesn't want input, esp. not J.Q. Dogowner input.

LL1
October 14th, 2004, 07:35 PM
So rescues weren't turned down?

LavenderRott
October 14th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Mr. Bryant has surrounded himself with people who think like he does. He doesn't want to hear from those who oppose him.

Trish was on a t.v. talk show last week. I hear she did a great job, but couldn't watch because, well, I live in the U.S. The host of the show told her that he would like to have her back on when Mr. Bryant is on. Now that is a show I will pay good money to see. Trish knows her facts and will mop the floor with him!

Akeeter
October 14th, 2004, 09:15 PM
not turned down. I have just e-mailed Andrea @ PitCrew to see if Bryant ever did get around to contacting them, returning e-mails or contacting anybody else in PB rescue in Ont.
(A number of S. Ontario PB rescues have closed down within the past year or so. Pit Crew is about the only one left, that I know of. Maybe some individuals are doing rescue, but even the people N.E. of Metro who had done rescue for a decade are no longer actively involved in PB rescue.)

So there was only 1 major rescue org. to speak with. If he didn't up to this point, why not? :confused:

LL1
October 14th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Thanks for clarifying. Alot of people not involved in the dog world often don't know anything about rescue, I am constantly explaining about rescue to people. I would not be surprised if he doesn't know anything about rescue, and the policy staff who prepared the material for him would have listed stakeholders and no doubt not included them. None of the articles in the paper or interviews on TV that I saw mentionned rescues either, Amy White and THS was mentionned but that's about it as far as what I saw.

Akeeter
October 14th, 2004, 10:01 PM
are going to take the biggest casualties in this. And I think he's Always known this. They are the easiest target. :sick:

But until he defines PB, & gives a grace period, if he does (?)we won't know.

I often wonder if he was taking about Rescues when he made that statement about 'Pit Bull Resorts in Pickering', or somewhere? If he was going to nail them from Day 1, why would he consult with them? :mad:

LL1
October 14th, 2004, 10:08 PM
What was that about Pitbull resort? I don't think I heard that one.

I imagine he will use the broadest posible definition, like other places have done, the various breeds and their crosses and those that look mostly like kind of definitions. Very sad.

Spurby
October 14th, 2004, 10:13 PM
i agree, they are the biggest losers in all this sad Thanks so MUCH all you lovely BYB of pits and LOSER owners dumping them in shelters, because of YOU and Bryant, they will die sad As well as the responsible breeders of the APBT,AST,SBT, they will no longer be able to breed their dogs(they RARELY did anyway) and we, the RESPONSIBLE OWNERS will no longer be able to own this amazing breed after our own pets pass on :( :mad:

Akeeter
October 15th, 2004, 12:53 AM
Thank you very much idiot owners. sad

The 'Pit Bull Resort' remark was made at the begining of Bryants war on dogs. I think it was to explian why he was going province wide with the ban, but I do remember some people N. of Pickering who had been doing Pit/Staffy & other Bully breed rescue for a long time. I wondered if he was referring to them?

pitbulliest
October 15th, 2004, 01:36 AM
OY...sorry guys..looks like I wasn't able to uhh..post for awhile..naughty me :o

So what on earth is going on with this demo? It seems like we all keep getting side tracked..
Is it going to be on a weekend or weekday? And what time? I am really really interested..and I have over 400 pamphlets with info on responsible pit bull (and dog) ownership...and I would be very happy to pass them out during the demo..

My suggestion though? I probably wouldn't recommend a weekend..weekdays work better..especially Fridays..people are happy on Fridays because its the weekend..they're more willing to listen..and they all got their paychecks..so everyone is cheeky.

Hey..did I already mention this in another post? If so..sorry :D