Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How come.......

tyr
October 10th, 2004, 11:06 AM
I just have a really little and quick question for those who can answer - out of sheer curiosity....

How come some Great Danes have really smooth, tight cheeks and others have really saggy, droopy cheeks?

I just always wondered about this.

Silly question?

LavenderRott
October 10th, 2004, 01:55 PM
'Tis all in the genes.

Catt31
October 10th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Same reason why some women (and men) have tight smooth cheeks, and some have saggy droopy cheeks!!! LMAO :D :D :rolleyes: :D :D

Cactus Flower
October 11th, 2004, 01:34 AM
From what I've been told, some Danes are just more jowl-y than others. There is actually a term for those drooping lips ("flus"?, something like that). Some people don't want too much of it, due to the sling-slobber factor. That is, they drool (or drink), then shake their head and SLING SLOBBER all over the place. Less droop= less slingslobbering LOL.
Raj is somewhere in the middle.

Princesss04
October 11th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Man my dogs do not have droppy lips but man when they drink do they leave wet EVERYWHERE!!! LOL :D

Bugsy
October 11th, 2004, 10:19 PM
I love droopy saggy cheeks... :p

tyr
October 12th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Thank you! :)

So you can actually choose whether you want a Dane with the saggy puppy cheeks or smooth cheeks?

Cactus Flower - Your Raj is sooooo beautiful!

mastifflover
October 12th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Drool factor is consideralble with large jowly kids. You have to be aware of it because the saddest excuse I have heard from someone who got a Mastiff and a 8 months old was getting rid of it because it slobbered too much. Another fool who did no research on what he was getting.
Drool is Cool

tyr
October 12th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Drool is Cool

LMAO!!! That is so funny :)

So you can choose whether you want droopy puppy cheeks or smooth, taught cheeks?

I plan on owning one, one day - so general curiosity now is real interest for the future. What is the saying...."investing in the future".

mastifflover
October 12th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Certain breeds are just droolers some of them less than others but I have also heard and have no idea if it is true that females drool less.

GsdDiamond
October 12th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Ewwww! I keep rehashing the scene from "Turner and Hooch", when the dog shakes his head. Drool (and foamy drool at that) all over the place!

A little too much for me!

Cactus Flower
October 13th, 2004, 01:34 AM
Awww, that sleeping pooch is a cutie!

Yes, you can choose, if you are able to get a look at the parents. That's usually good to go by, unless one is droopy and the other isn't. Then it's a toss of a coin! You can't tell much by looking at the pups because none of them start to droop until later.

Raj isn't a huge slobberer. It only happens as she is walking away from taking a drink. Then she dribbles it all over. Not a problem. And she doesn't actually "drool" at all.

lilith_rizel
October 13th, 2004, 08:56 AM
tyr, be prepared for how much they can eat. The one I had as a kid, ate 5cups of food a day, and weighed 200 pounds. :eek: And he was 100% angel. He was seriously the biggest babby you have ever seen. Although hissize scared the crap out of people, he wouldn't hurt a fly. I mean, his best friend was a little white kitten. Danes do require alot of exercise and frequent vet visits, due to their build and weight. It is common for them to get hip displaysia. They do live to be quite old, despite their issue, and I would recommend getting one!! Infact, my husband and I were talking about getting one in a few years, after our finances are better. I think the average dane lives to be anywhere between 8 and 12 years. Atleast that is what the breeder, where we gat Sampson from, said. We got Sampson at the age of 5, for $50, only because my mom agreed to allow him to breed with the breeders female. the breeder was friends with my mom, and wanted Sampson to have a bigger home, because he was large for his breed. Her female weighed only 150 pounds. Sampson lived to be 9 or 10 years of age, before his hips went out.
I hope that you find a wonderful dane. I fully support someone who is looking for a big dog, just because they are so much work, and not too many people are willing to take care of 150 pounds of pure loveable animal.

That is a cute pic by the way!

lilith_rizel
October 13th, 2004, 09:03 AM
GSD, the drool is exactly like that! We had to wash walls every week, because of drool Sampson slung after drinking, and eating. He had droopy cheeks. I'd post a pic, but they are all still in the house I grew up in, and I am not planning on visiting my family anytime in the next month or so.
danes are so adorable!

Cactus Flower
October 13th, 2004, 02:51 PM
They say the average life span of a Dane is 7-10 years. In any case there will be exceptions, of course.
My Dane doesn't eat any more than my pitX did. I have been surprised by that, as I expected a Dane-sized food bill. And the only thing that she has ever been to the vet for is an ear infection. She has no health problems whatsoever, and no more ear infections since I started regularly giving her yogurt.

lilith_rizel
October 13th, 2004, 03:13 PM
What is yogurt supposed to do??

Cactus Flower
October 13th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Many recurring ear infections in Danes are caused by a yeast imbalance. Feeding yogurt balances it out.

tyr
October 14th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Thanks guys! Wow Lilith and Cactus Flower you two are full of great information. I cannot afford to have one right now in my life. That is why I said earlier that I was "investing in my future" :) I love Great Danes but I do not know much about them. Just that they are big, beautiful dogs and that they are supposed to be incredible pets! I love the way they look. My friends always laugh because my two fave dogs are Chihuahua's and Danes - so different in size (and temperment)! It is great to have my question answered and gain a little extra knowledge in the mean time. My husband told me that we could get one as soon as we are in a place that allows dogs and our finances are a little better :D :love:

You guys have been awesome! Thanks!

tyr
October 14th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Bugsy -

Your dog is such a cutie! :)

mastifflover
October 14th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Cactus my Mastiff has chronic ear infections I just spent 600.00 on surgery but the vet said it will probably be something that will keep recurring. This problem stems from the abuse he suffered. He is partially deaf but tell me more about the yoghurt. Do you use it all the time and is it the type with live cultures.

Cactus Flower
October 14th, 2004, 08:46 PM
I give her flavored yogurt, live cultures (in fact, most yogurt contains "active" cultures, so it's not hard to find). A few times a week. You can also mix plain yogurt in with their food. I was told that plain is better than flavored because of the sugar, but hey, Raj has her favorites, and it isn't PLAIN, lol. It's working, though!

Great Danes are worth waiting for! Can't wait until you get one so I can say I told ya so! :D