Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Flyes

HUSKY
October 10th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Hello,
I have a Siberian Husky. Evey year around this time, she loves to be outside, but the flyes love to sit on the tips of her EARS and chew on them. It's bad, them make them bleed. Has anyone had this problem or know of anything that might stop it?????? :(

Lucky Rescue
October 10th, 2004, 10:59 AM
There are fly repellents made especially for animals.

One of them is HERE (http://www.bullwrinkle.com/index.html?ShoppingPages/vip-fly.htm~indexmain)

Bugsy
October 11th, 2004, 10:51 PM
My German Shephard had this once. This is what I did and it worked amazingly. Get 1 glass of water and add 2 capfulls of bleach. Dab on
the ear tips. They will never come back & it will both heal and disinfect
the tips.

huskylord
October 14th, 2004, 02:47 PM
My husky was plagued by flies as well during the hot summer months for years. I tried several repellants (but not the ones prescribed earlier in the thread). I wish I had these options years ago. The best I could do back then was try to bring her inside when the flies were particularily bad. They drove me and my dog crazy.

Good luck to ya.

mastifflover
October 14th, 2004, 02:50 PM
There is something that you can buy that they use for horses that keeps the flies off them I am not sure of the name but if you called a feed store they could probably tell you the name. They use it on the hounds at my friends stable.

Miss Kyla
October 14th, 2004, 03:03 PM
I had two huskeys that had the same problems, I was never able to find anything that worked. Just please make sure you have your dog on heart worm meds year round. Despite being on the heart worm pills in the summer months, we sadly and painfully lost one of are huskeys to the disease. Because of the bred they are outside so much and are always being eaten. We didn't see any signs until it was too late.