April 29th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Two weeks ago our beloved Zazu went missing. For two nights we waited heartbroken for him to come back. I then went to a swampy/field two miles away from my house because I knew he was not in the woods. Low and behold after twenty minutes of searching he came out of where ever he had been hiding. He was so happy to see me. I was crying because I could not believe I found him. He was very dehydrated and hungry..fur coat in good condition. I brought him back to the house gave him food and water, and about five minutes after he had a seizure on my kitchen floor. I had never experienced this before, so Immediately scooped him up got in the cat and went to the emergency animal hospital. There they told me he was very dehydrated and he had a fever of 105. They were concerned of why he had a seizure. He spent the night in the animal hospital had a great night and right before we were going to bring him home he had another seizure. We brought him to our vet, who ran tests on him. He came back positive for lyme immediately. His liver and Kidneys were healthy. Did an xray on him everything was good. The toxo test takes a few days. Zazu stayed at the vet. As the days progressed his behavior became more erratic and violent. We got a call to come down and see him, and they believe he had rabies...foaming at the mouth very aggressive. (very heartbreaking to hear, as I had just found out an hour before hand my Grandmother had died unexpecently) His rabies shot was just up, so it was possible that he had it, and if you saw him you wouldn't think otherwise. We had to get the board of health involved, because we put ourselves at risk by handling him. (I am 8 months pregnant) Very hard decision on whether to put him to sleep, and find out since there is only a certain amount of time that the rabies vaccine can help. We decided not to put him down and wait one more day and see what the Toxoplasmosis test came back. To our relief the test came back very high, so they started giving him orally Clindamycin.
April 29th, 2012, 12:13 PM
. He threw up the Clindamycin, which I guess some cats have that reaction. We started injecting him with Clindamycin. his symtoms improved by a lot. He was not aggressive anymore, back to his old self except he was still having seizures. My husband and I were comfortable enough with bringing home, and transporting him to the vet to get medicene. His is still having these seizures. They last between 20-30 seconds, and he sometimes pees. Has around 10 of them a day. It is just heartbreaking to watch. We switched his medicene yesderday to Albon, since there is no more injectable Clindamycin. We give him that orally and he is able to take it down. Has anyone else ever dealth with toxoplasmosis before in their cat? Did it cause seizures. We are thinking of putting him on anti-seizure medication, but the vet wants to wait the two weeks till he is one with his anti-biotics. In anyone has any feedback please let us know. This is just heartbreaking.
April 29th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Ccollins I am so sorry that you and your cat are going through this. I do not have any advise for you, it seems that you are doing everything you can at this time. Hopefully there will be some really smart cat people along soon who may be able to help. :pray::grouphug:
April 29th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Ccollins,it's Sunday and a beautiful day,maybe not that many are on right now,but I am sure they will be later.
I read both your posts,the happiness you felt at finding him and the despair for what's ailing him:cry:
I too have no advice to give,but I think you are doing everything possible for him.
One of my cats had 2 seizures,but it was from playing outside in the hot sun,it was never treated,I just made sure he'd not get to frisky on a hot day and he had no more seizures.
It's scary to see these little guys seize,but I hope you'll find an answer soon.:grouphug:
April 29th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Welcome to the board, ccollins. Sorry about what you're having to go through. :grouphug:
So Zazu seems to be responding to the Clindamycin but still has the seizures? Did the vet run a titer to double-check the positive Lyme's result? And is he treating Zazu for the Lyme's as well? The reason I ask is that in humans and dogs, Lyme's can cause neurological symptoms. The usual treatment is with doxycycline, but I'm not sure if that's the drug of choice for cats, as well (we've never had a cat with Lyme's...just us and the dogs). Might at least be worth asking the vet about...
Good luck with your little guy! I hope he's better soon! :goodvibes:
April 29th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Hi Thanks! I'm hoping someone out there has experienced this toxoplasmosis. They started treating him with the doxy in the beginning, but when he became aggressive because they thought he had rabies they stopped. Once they figured out he had toxoplasmosis the vet started him on treating that. Because of how serious his condition was he did not want to be putting all different types of medication into him. I really want to try the anti-seizure medicene and see if that helps. So far today he has had 11 seizures:cry::cry:
April 29th, 2012, 10:27 PM
I've not had any experience with Toxoplasmosis but did want to caution you if you're not already aware that the organism can cross the placenta and affect your baby, which is why all women are advised not to handle any litterbox duties while pregnant. The organism is transmitted through feces, so you/your baby are not at risk during just petting, feeding etc, your cat.
Some info on Toxoplasmosis:
April 30th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Yes I know that...thank you for the advice